Coram bottle jack rebuild - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 17th, 2015, 10:08 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Coram bottle jack rebuild

Trying to disassemble the stock Disco I bottle jack so I can get new rubber in it and give it another 20 years of life . . .

So I've searched like mad and found some good sources (like here: Factory Bottle Jack Rebuild), and have gotten the jack partially disassembled, but haven't been able to separate the plastic body from the jack base.

I've put a round screwdriver body into the fill hole in the body, but don't want to hammer on it (actually at this point I would kind of like to hammer on it).

Anyone taken one of these apart.

And, yes, I already bought a bottle jack at Central Tractor, but suddenly realized I had kind of fallen in love with this one. Part of that process was my local welder telling me it'd cost $75 to weld the yoke from the top of the stock jack to the top of the new jack . . .

Thanks much,
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2015, 10:20 PM
javelinadave
-
-

$75 for 5 minutes of work! Find another welder!!
Old March 17th, 2015, 11:38 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Bought a good used one from a D2 for $40

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2015, 07:09 AM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Yeah, I may end up going that route, but part of me wants to make the darned thing work again, despite the fact that it makes no economic sense. I hate to throw something out that needs probably $15 in parts and a bit of my labor (provided I can get it apart).

RGR re. the welder--I just about fell over when they told me the price . . . at that point I didn't realize I could just hammer the yoke off the top of the original jack, so I asked the for a quote to cut it off and weld it on to the other one, but still . . . I think because I showed up professionally dressed they thought they could charge me their executive rates. . .
Old March 18th, 2015, 08:30 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I dunno where you live, but those jacks are available by the case lot for pretty much no money.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 18th, 2015, 08:45 AM
Himalaya
Mark WS
1995 Nas, 86 D110, 97 Hummer H1

I have 2 brand new ones available for $75 each.
Old March 18th, 2015, 09:48 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Land Rover Discovery I II 1 2 Hydraulic Jack 96 97 98 99 00 01 02 03 04 | eBay
Old March 18th, 2015, 12:57 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

I was tapping the base plate of my stock bottle jack with a hammer once as it was a little wedged between the axle tube and the block of wood it was sitting on. Turns out the outside casing is made of plastic and shatters like a champ when you miss the metal base with a hammer..

I went to my local pick a part and grabbed one out of a p38 that looked like it had never been used and it was 10 bucks iirc..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 18th, 2015, 03:00 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Go to the junkyard and find one. Or contact Marty Powell, he's got to have loads of those things sitting around.
Old March 18th, 2015, 09:40 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Yeah, I know I can get a used one for not much money and stop wasting my (and y'all's) time, but a used one is likely to be just a few years from being in the condition my used one is in, and I thought I might try to throw new seals in and start afresh. But I'll probably throw in the (hydraulic oil-soaked) towel and buy one. . .

And I'll probably get medieval with the one I've got, since it's just going in the trash at this point, and there's no harm trying to get the blasted thing apart.

Thanks for all the responses!
Old March 18th, 2015, 09:56 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I think it's fantastic that you want to fix a beloved (accursed?) original bottle jack!

To be frank, I don't think anyone here really knows what you are talking about in terms of removing a plastic part.

Pictures would really, really help.
Old March 18th, 2015, 10:06 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Agreed, photos of plastic part...there's only metal on both of the bottle jacks I've had
Old March 18th, 2015, 10:11 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

OK, so to disassemble these things (my impression, anyhow), one removes the relief screw, strips off the pump parts, and hammers off the yoke at the top of the shaft.

Then one uses a screwdriver and hammer to unscrew the collar at the top of the jack's body (which is the reservoir).

Collar and jack body and shaft shown in this picture:

And then one removes the plastic reservoir body . . .

which in the case of this particular jack is ON THERE. I believe it's just a press fit into the base of the jack, held in place by the collar which I removed (as evinced in the above photo), but I'll be doggone if I can get it to budge. I've tapped gently around the base with a hammer, I've put a screwdriver in the fill hole to try to get some leverage on it, but all to no avail. I've got a strap wrench on the way that I'll put on there, and if that doesn't work, I'm taking it to the back yard and setting it on fire.
Old March 21st, 2015, 09:24 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Is it threaded on the base? Have you tried twisting with a strap wrench?
Old March 21st, 2015, 02:31 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

That was what I was wondering, and the strap wrench arrived yesterday so I'm going to give that a whirl soon...too bad I don't own a vise (or, even more pathetically) a workbench sufficiently sturdy to mount a big vise to...) so anchoring the base will be interesting. Stay tunes for updates on this riveting project!
Old March 21st, 2015, 09:39 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

OK, strap wrench did the trick--the reservoir body is NOT threaded, but rotational force did get it moving and up and away from the jack base.

Got a big pipe wrench on the main shaft once the reservoir was out of the way, and unscrewed the main shaft from the base plate. Seal at the base of the main piston looks horrible. Rest of the o-rings throughout look not bad at all.

There was no seal where the plastic reservoir body meets the base, which seems odd, but maybe it's a tight enough fit that it's not required. . .

At any rate, I'll try to find a hydraulic supply place and bring them all the pieces and see if they can give me seals that'll work--if the rebuild's a success, I'll try to share something meaningful in case anyone else is dumb enough to want to do this rather than just buying a jack.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac, rebuild