Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 7th, 2014, 02:59 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Cool field repair for your blown rod

Our sister team's MGA limped to within sight of the finish line at the LeMon's CMP race last weekend. Talk about some ingenuity required to get there. You cannot make this stuff up. In response to my question why they needed a new exhaust, my buddy replies:

Hooo boy. Here’s the timeline of why/how the muffler needed welding…
  1. Ran well all morning Saturday, all drivers got stints…
  2. About 2 pm or so we lost power, maybe 3K rpm max, thought it was head gasket
  3. Cylinder #3 / connecting rod / bearing / piston grenaded itself, did not punch hole through engine.
  4. Phoned all over / net search for spare engine was a fail
  5. Having nothing to lose and 7 more hours of race waiting for us: we pried out what was left of the piston from the top, then jacked up the engine and removed the rest of the bits from underneath it
  6. we then wrapped the crankshaft with hose tape and clamped it with a radiator hose clamp – this sealed the oil hole in the crankshaft that supplies oil to the now-missing cylinder #3’s bearings (if we did not seal it, oil pressure would be super low and cylinder #4 would starve and die very soon).
  7. Put it all back together but left out the push rods for cyl3 so valves would stay closed, left the sparkplug wire off
  8. Tried to do a valve adjustment but since 2 valves didn’t open we couldn’t adjust two other very well … meh good enough
  9. It actually started!!! but shook very violently. Very angrily.
  10. With 1.5 hours left in the race we charged back out onto track. Within 10 minutes the shaking was so violent that the welds broke on the muffler and it fell off, dragging, (thus the photo of the welding)
  11. With that fixed, 45 minutes or so left in race, we get back on track. Corner workers are cheering us on (a few had stopped by through the night so check our repair attempts)
  12. Finally, on the last half of the last lap, she dies. A few cars stop to offer to push us across the finish line, but our driver is in his very first race and not sure if it’s kosher, so he waits for a tow. I think the judges gave us an honorary finish anyway.
  13. We were also given the ‘judges choice award’ for not giving up. It was a grand old time. And I didn’t get a hernia ;-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Wow!
Old May 7th, 2014, 03:06 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Hahah! That's great...and it's too bad they didn't make it past the finish line!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2014, 05:56 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Now enter it for 24 hours of Lemons

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 7th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
This makes me want to enter my Rover SD1 that I got for free.

I wouldn't do a thing to it other than put a new clutch in it and the required safety items. Maybe some new trailing arm bushings since they are pretty much non-existent. The tires may as well be made of plastic, its scary to drive in the rain.
Old May 13th, 2014, 06:50 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I saw this MG cruising on a trailer behind a bus on route 55 in new jersey on mothers' day.
Old May 13th, 2014, 07:33 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
They ran the LeMons race at NJMP. It is hard to miss that green minibus towing a gold MGA on the freeway. Not due to its color, but b/c it makes a 2.5NA 110 appear fast.
Old May 13th, 2014, 08:31 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Insane - loved how they kept going. Glad they got an award for pushing through.
Old May 14th, 2014, 12:07 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
They ran the LeMons race at NJMP. It is hard to miss that green minibus towing a gold MGA on the freeway. Not due to its color, but b/c it makes a 2.5NA 110 appear fast.
I can spot cars like a fighter pilot spots an enemy plane. They were across a divided highway and I was like "it is the lemons MGB GT!" and my buddy and gf were like "what?" And I was like "never mind."
Old May 14th, 2014, 07:37 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I can spot cars like a fighter pilot spots an enemy plane. They were across a divided highway and I was like "it is the lemons MGB GT!" and my buddy and gf were like "what?" And I was like "never mind."
Haha, sort of know the feeling. Will point out a cool car far away and passengers do the same.

Got the "radar" from my old man - he'd be able to spot cool shit in people's yards like a hawk.
Old May 14th, 2014, 08:24 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
We are easy to find at the track too proudly sporting the Union Jack at our pit including Jay's D-90 Union Jack and CT vinyls on my tools (far left). It is hard to articulate how fun these racing series are whether participating or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3526.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	94897  
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:47 AM
323jamie
jamie
83 D110 RHD 300tdi Disco conversion

Registry
My wife wants me to find a 78 to restore and this add is not helping me with my growing desire and constant car restorations "Think one at only think"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat