Convert Nas 90 to 130 8 30.77%
Buy a import 130 8 30.77%
Just stick with building a trailer 10 38.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 23rd, 2015, 10:48 AM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

Convert NAS 90 to 130, buy an import, or.......?

So here is my dilemma. I have my wife and a 2 1/2 year old boy, also a baby girl due in Jan. With the 90 it is very very tight with us and all of our gear. I have been thinking of a way to carry my family comfortably with all of our gear to go camping or a trip to wherever. I just purchased an adapter from my good friend Nick to put the LS in the 90. So power will not be an issue here soon, but room will soon become an issue (with two car seats and all of our stuff). I currently have a roof rack and am okay with loading it up. One of my original plans was to build a teardrop trailer and just use that as our storage to transport, but trailers can be a pain in the ass. I really don't want to sell the 90 because of two reasons. One it is A NAS and is badasss with pretty much done with all of the upgrades that I could think to do to it. Minus a new power plant. Second it is registered in California and once Nick figures out everything with the CARB referee I will do the swap and still be legal.

I really don't want to chance buying an import and not be able to register in California, and I don't want two defenders as I barely have the time to drive one let alone two. So I guess I'm asking the community should consider converting my NAS 90 to a 130?

"They are, in factory original condition, noisy, they leak water in from the top and oil out from underneath, you can never demist the windows in winter, they handle like scaffolding towers, and use more fuel than Beijing." Richard Hammond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2015, 10:55 AM
javelinadave
-
-

I wouldn't convert a NAS truck but I totally get what you are saying. I just sold my ROW 90 to purchase a ROW 110. What about buying a ROW petrol wagon that has a California title and plates and use that as a starting point?
Old November 23rd, 2015, 11:14 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
If you have a NAS90 and the means to convert to a 130 go for it....it will be worth a shit ton.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2015, 11:15 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
I'd go with a Sankey rather than a teardrop, if all you need it for is to carry gear. That's really the cheap and easy solution, and you get to keep your NAS 90. I'd try it for a while anyway before hacking up the 90.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
I just sold my ROW 90 to purchase a ROW 110.

Interesting. Have you posted pics anywhere?
Old November 23rd, 2015, 11:23 AM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Curious as to why you would look at going directly to a 130, and not a 110?

I was faced with the same issue of space a few years back. My NAS 90 was mint, I had it for 12 years and loved it. I took it off the road for a year, had it in storage due to moving and a few other things. They family was growing 5 and 9 year olds, and my wife and I wanted to get back to camping now that the kids were a little older. Sold the 90 and went for the 110. Although I do miss the wind top off summer days, it was 100% the right move. The 110 has ample room for kids and gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2404 (1).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	135441  
Old November 23rd, 2015, 11:31 AM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN38 View Post
Curious as to why you would look at going directly to a 130, and not a 110?

I was faced with the same issue of space a few years back. My NAS 90 was mint, I had it for 12 years and loved it. I took it off the road for a year, had it in storage due to moving and a few other things. They family was growing 5 and 9 year olds, and my wife and I wanted to get back to camping now that the kids were a little older. Sold the 90 and went for the 110. Although I do miss the wind top off summer days, it was 100% the right move. The 110 has ample room for kids and gear.

I need a truck. So the plan would be to go with a double cab with a truck bed. I from what I here that a 110 double cab with truck bed is pretty much worthless.

"They are, in factory original condition, noisy, they leak water in from the top and oil out from underneath, you can never demist the windows in winter, they handle like scaffolding towers, and use more fuel than Beijing." Richard Hammond
Old November 23rd, 2015, 11:42 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
I don't even know how you got two adults and a 2 1/2 year old, plus camping gear in a 90?!? Love to hear the secret, I have only one youngin', but haven't figured out how to do that yet..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 11:55 AM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
I don't even know how you got two adults and a 2 1/2 year old, plus camping gear in a 90?!? Love to hear the secret, I have only one youngin', but haven't figured out how to do that yet..

So I have a cargo net that attaches to the NAS cage and give me the ability to put all of my Soft gear up against the roof in the inside and put all of the stuff that can get dirty or wet on the roof rack. Here is a pic of when I went to Alaska and had two trucks worth of gear in the truck. Because the Anti-Christ/Navydevildoc's truck didn't want to continue on our Alaska trip and he had to ship the truck home.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0473.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	135452   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1592.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	135453  

Old November 23rd, 2015, 11:58 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
I'm in the camp of: if you have the means, convert the NAS. Purists will look at it as robbing the world of a NAS90... But in my mind you just added a better built vehicle to the road with probably better assembly and details to boot. Get it into a shop now and it will be done by the time your youngest is old enough to hit the road with you on trips.

I went with a 110 after my first kid. Now we have three kids and the 110 is probably verging on too small for long trips until all of the kids are out of the massive forward facing car seats. A 130 would give you a little more cargo space. I will be in the market for a sankey in 2-3 years both to have additional cargo capacity and to have another platform for a RTT.

Good luck!

Old November 23rd, 2015, 12:11 PM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
I'm in the camp of: if you have the means, convert the NAS. Purists will look at it as robbing the world of a NAS90... But in my mind you just added a better built vehicle to the road with probably better assembly and details to boot. Get it into a shop now and it will be done by the time your youngest is old enough to hit the road with you on trips.

I went with a 110 after my first kid. Now we have three kids and the 110 is probably verging on too small for long trips until all of the kids are out of the massive forward facing car seats. A 130 would give you a little more cargo space. I will be in the market for a sankey in 2-3 years both to have additional cargo capacity and to have another platform for a RTT.

Good luck!

Well I should add that all the work will be done by yours truly. Welding, painting, and electrical. I'm a jack of all trades. So I'm more than confident that this conversion could be done in the comfort of my own garage.

Old November 23rd, 2015, 12:14 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash303 View Post
I need a truck. So the plan would be to go with a double cab with a truck bed. I from what I here that a 110 double cab with truck bed is pretty much worthless.
Pretty sure the 130 double cab has the same interior room as a 110 double cab, which is not much. Fine if you are ok with all your stuff being in the truck bed. Unless you did a 130 wagon, which would be pretty sweet..
Old November 23rd, 2015, 12:18 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
Go with a 1/4 rack sized for a few Pelicans. Here is a clear tub with 2-yr old and dogs waiting for scraps. The 1/4 rack will accommodate all the crap of your typical campsite with room to spare.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-877058771.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	614.6 KB
ID:	135454   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4033518213.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	878.6 KB
ID:	135455  

Name:	image-875921864.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	584.5 KB
ID:	135456  
Old November 23rd, 2015, 12:19 PM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

So I guess what it comes down to what is the cost of a new 130 frame with bed and half cab body/doors with rear interior seats. Also need a Salisbury axle.

Old November 23rd, 2015, 12:21 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
So I guess what it comes down to what is the cost of a new 130 frame with bed and half cab body/doors with rear interior seats. Also need a Salisbury axle.
Brake lines, wiring harnesses, etc, etc, etc. 130 parts are not a dime a dozen.

Old November 23rd, 2015, 12:21 PM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

I have a full roof rack for all our gear.

------ Follow up post added November 23rd, 2015 09:24 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Brake lines, wiring harnesses, etc, etc, etc. 130 parts are not a dime a dozen.
You shut your dirty mouth!!! Just stick to keeping your Anti-Christ running. I will figure out what is unobtainium!!

Old November 23rd, 2015, 12:24 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

My two cents, if your NAS D90 is in good shape (California, 97 ST), I would sell it and buy a beater NAS to convert to LS1 V8 and a 110/130. Since you will be replacing the frame and the back body, starting with a really nice donor does not make economic sense, especially because you are upgrading the drivetrain.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 12:25 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I have a full roof rack for all our gear. ------ Follow up post added November 23rd, 2015 09:24 AM ------ You shut your dirty mouth!!! Just stick to keeping your Anti-Christ running. I will figure out what is unobtainium!!
The only thing unobtainium right now is apparently a good Bloody Mary at SFO....

Old November 23rd, 2015, 12:50 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
The only thing unobtainium right now is apparently a good Bloody Mary at SFO....
Hit the BV (Buena Vista) in terminal 3! Near gate 81.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 12:53 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
Hit the BV (Buena Vista) in terminal 3! Near gate 81.
Yeah we are over in T2 waiting to board VX. Not worth two anal probes to switch terminals. Sigh.

Old November 23rd, 2015, 01:05 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Not worth two anal probes to switch terminals. Sigh.
Don't worry, they're gentle. It is SF after all!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
130, 90, import, nas