Old November 23rd, 2015, 01:14 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
Don't worry, they're gentle. It is SF after all!
You know I was going to link something from Folsom Street fair... But all the pictures are so shockingly NSFW I would have to ban myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2015, 01:15 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
If you bought a 110, you would have exactly the same amount of stuff as in that picture of your 90, just further back. Still no visibility, still no room, still very poor access.

Trailer all the way. Many of the Mid Atlantic people have them and they seem very happy with them.

You don't even have to "Build a trailer". You can just buy one.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 01:16 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash303 View Post
So I guess what it comes down to what is the cost of a new 130 frame with bed and half cab body/doors with rear interior seats. Also need a Salisbury axle.
And significant downtime too, right? What do you use for however many months it take to build and sort out? Geez, I don't envy your position. But you're doing the right thing. 110's are small too. My boys are teenagers and they can't ride in the middle row for long and the back is not sufficient enough to travel far either IME.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2015, 01:27 PM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
and significant downtime
True, but the plan was to get everything started like having the frame and all of the extra body parts paint and ready to go. Then plan a down time to do the conversion with the least amount of down time having most of the parts to finish it completely.

"They are, in factory original condition, noisy, they leak water in from the top and oil out from underneath, you can never demist the windows in winter, they handle like scaffolding towers, and use more fuel than Beijing." Richard Hammond
Old November 23rd, 2015, 01:39 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
So I have a cargo net that attaches to the NAS cage and give me the ability to put all of my Soft gear up against the roof in the inside and put all of the stuff that can get dirty or wet on the roof rack. Here is a pic of when I went to Alaska and had two trucks worth of gear in the truck. Because the Anti-Christ/Navydevildoc's truck didn't want to continue on our Alaska trip and he had to ship the truck home.
Who makes that net?
Old November 23rd, 2015, 01:40 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
True, but the plan was to get everything started like having the frame and all of the extra body parts paint and ready to go. Then plan a down time to do the conversion with the least amount of down time having most of the parts to finish it completely.
Certainly doable and it sounds like you have the two most important ingredients, skills and drive. Are you sorta thinking a build on a NAS platform will help it appreciate in value over time? If so, you might want to get a sense of what the broader community thinks about that. IMO I don't think the appreciation numbers will ever be there. That 110 that sold for 120k the other day IMO will not see any appreciation. Not due to build quality. Custom stuff generally doesn't appreciate in value. Valuation professionals will tell us this everyday.

Old November 23rd, 2015, 01:46 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Go softly into this problem.

Buy a trailer like a Sankey or M416. Its a cheap way for getting all the extra space you need for diapers etc. They also sell quickly when you decide its time to move on.

When time has proven the need for additional space over the 90 plus Sankey/M416 then go for a 110. A 110 with Sankey or M416 is a great expedition combination while the 110 on its own is far better around the City than a 130.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 01:56 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

Have you run this by Mrs. Crash303? If she said yes, it could be the last time you're allowed any such enjoyment in life (other than the enjoyment of having kids, of course) - I run across guys fairly often who can only WISH they were allowed the manprivilege of owning a RRC or a D, etc. But, are you certain that a DIY frame stretch + a power upgrade swap will be re-registerable & insurable in Commufornia?
Old November 23rd, 2015, 02:09 PM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Who makes that net?
A friend of mine had a bunch of parachute hardware that was from old harnesses that couldn't be used and we used some 2" webbing to make a net to hold everything. So it was a home brewed net.

"They are, in factory original condition, noisy, they leak water in from the top and oil out from underneath, you can never demist the windows in winter, they handle like scaffolding towers, and use more fuel than Beijing." Richard Hammond
Old November 23rd, 2015, 02:20 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I have a friend by you with a 130 used for family camping. Pm me if you want to check out his truck for comparison.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 02:21 PM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Have you run this by Mrs. Crash303? If she said yes, it could be the last time you're allowed any such enjoyment in life (other than the enjoyment of having kids, of course) - I run across guys fairly often who can only WISH they were allowed the manprivilege of owning a RRC or a D, etc. But, are you certain that a DIY stretch + a power upgrade swap will be re-registerable & insurable in Commufornia?

Tentatively yes.. She wants to do more camping and outdoorsy stuff, but she also would like to bring everything and the kitchen sink; whereas I'm good with an MRE, some good scotch, and my field bag. She is a very understanding woman. She knows that I love my defender and would never take that away from me, but she also wants to include the whole family. So it is take the tahoe and bring everything or take the defender and have her follow in the tahoe, cause she still demands we bring the kitchen sink.

Old November 23rd, 2015, 02:25 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Tentatively yes.. She wants to do more camping and outdoorsy stuff, but she also would like to bring everything and the kitchen sink; whereas I'm good with an MRE, some good scotch, and my field bag. She is a very understanding woman. She knows that I love my defender and would never take that away from me, but she also wants to include the whole family. So it is take the tahoe and bring everything or take the defender and have her follow in the tahoe, cause she still demands we bring the kitchen sink.
Have you considered a bigger Land Rover? Some of the Army Land Rovers in Australia were custom made as 6x6's using the Federally Compliant 4bd1-T Isuzu motor, these were wider than standard Rovers to accommodate a full size middle seat. Has plenty of space in the back for camping gear. They produced about 25 of these with 4 full doors. BTW the cab is fully galvanized as is the frame.

land rover 110 6x6 camper conversion | Campervans & Motorhomes | Gumtree Australia Tweed Heads Area - Piggabeen | 1072708282
Old November 23rd, 2015, 02:28 PM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
The bigger issue I see is that you won't want to wheel the 130. So get a trailer an keep the 90. The can of a 130 isn't that much more room.

-Jeff
Jeff yes and no. I'm not going to lie. I'm scared that if I do this I won't want to wheel it. But I also think that I will hate being the one in the back of the pack on the trail and have to be spotted through everything.

------ Follow up post added November 23rd, 2015 11:34 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I have a friend by you with a 130 used for family camping. Pm me if you want to check out his truck for comparison.
Barry if anything would love to get together and pick his brain on what he likes and doesn't like. Or wishes was different.
Plus I think it is time we do another Happy Hour meet up?!

Old November 23rd, 2015, 02:38 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

You got it!
Old November 23rd, 2015, 03:03 PM
cowboy
steven

Why not trade the Tahoe for a Suburban? - you & the hot nanny can follow along behind in the 90...

Admit it, you just want a 130!
Old November 23rd, 2015, 03:13 PM
cowboy
steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Certainly doable and it sounds like you have the two most important ingredients, skills and drive. Are you sorta thinking a build on a NAS platform will help it appreciate in value over time? If so, you might want to get a sense of what the broader community thinks about that. IMO I don't think the appreciation numbers will ever be there. That 110 that sold for 120k the other day IMO will not see any appreciation. Not due to build quality. Custom stuff generally doesn't appreciate in value. Valuation professionals will tell us this everyday.
I'm going to assume that you are correct & that it won't appreciate. But, what are the chances that it would DEPRECIATE? He has tons of fun & then he breaks even someday. Not too bad, especially if he adds lots of value with his own labor.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 04:19 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
I'm going to assume that you are correct & that it won't appreciate. But, what are the chances that it would DEPRECIATE? He has tons of fun & then he breaks even someday. Not too bad, especially if he adds lots of value with his own labor.
Totally agree. This is just one opinion but in his case where he's only going to have to invest in parts he's a great chance of breaking even on top of the fun and sense of accomplishment. If I had the skills and drive he has I'd build one up too.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 04:37 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You need another poll option. Sell your 90 and buy a 110.

As someone who just went through the NAS 90-110 conversion, it's much more expensive and time-consuming than you think.

As a price starting point, I started with a good donor D90 for $14k and finished at $120k. About $30k of that was spent having someone else build the truck.

I am much happier with a killer '93 NAS110 for half of what I sold my 110 conversion for.

My suggestion is to sell your 90 and get a finished 110. Someone else's restoration/build cost losses are your gain.

Semper Fi!
Old November 23rd, 2015, 05:07 PM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
You need another poll option. Sell your 90 and buy a 110. As someone who just went through the NAS 90-110 conversion, it's much more expensive and time-consuming than you think. As a price starting point, I started with a good donor D90 for $14k and finished at $120k. About $30k of that was spent having someone else build the truck. I am much happier with a killer '93 NAS110 for half of what I sold my 110 conversion for. My suggestion is to sell your 90 and get a finished 110. Someone else's restoration/build cost losses are your gain.
Jonathan I totally get where you are coming from! And I wish I could full my satisfaction with a 110, but I really want a 130 double cab which is pretty much unuptanium with without spending 100k and I also have to deal with California DMV. So converting I think is the best way. Maybe not the cheapest, but the easiest.

Old November 23rd, 2015, 05:28 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
You need another poll option. Sell your 90 and buy a 110.

As someone who just went through the NAS 90-110 conversion, it's much more expensive and time-consuming than you think.

As a price starting point, I started with a good donor D90 for $14k and finished at $120k. About $30k of that was spent having someone else build the truck.

I am much happier with a killer '93 NAS110 for half of what I sold my 110 conversion for.

My suggestion is to sell your 90 and get a finished 110. Someone else's restoration/build cost losses are your gain.
You went to an extreme level of components on the conversion though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
130, 90, import, nas