Contemplating a FC101 ... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old July 19th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Retrofit's Avatar
Retrofit
Status: Offline
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Posts: 474
Contemplating a FC101 ...

As I would like in the next year or tow to drive from Quebec City to Rio de Janeiro with the whole family (2 kids 3 & 5) and completed the 110 CrewCab. I must admit that the truck is a little too tight a fit for that kind of venture for over three months of traveling.

So that being said, the FC101 would look like the next step up. I would probably do a custom all aluminium rear with a Westfalia type raising roof to accomodate all of us and be quick to pop up and down. Also including a diesel conversion to probably a 3.0 International diesel engine.

Sooooo, if anyone have any inputs on the subject feel free to fire away as I would rather have rocks thrown at me here before I turn this into a reality.

Also I would like to know if there would be any possibility to turn this leaf sprung truck to a coil sprung one.

Always a pleasure to share ideas with all of you.

Pat
__________________
" You never, ever, ever go full retard ! "

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old July 19th, 2009, 11:46 AM
JohnsD90's Avatar
JohnsD90
Status: Offline
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 2,282
Registry
I hear if you have a front end collision your legs are done (In a 101)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old July 19th, 2009, 11:48 AM
landrovered's Avatar
landrovered
Status: Offline
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Under my truck!
Posts: 753
101s on this side of the pond are an acquired taste, rare and expensive to set up the way you want. As much as I hate to say it it would be easier and cheaper to just get a Unimog.
__________________
72 Series III 109 SW Diesel, 03 RR, 98 Porsche 986, 01 Porsche 986 3.6 L
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Retrofit's Avatar
Retrofit
Status: Offline
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
101s on this side of the pond are an acquired taste, rare and expensive to set up the way you want. As much as I hate to say it it would be easier and cheaper to just get a Unimog.
The problem I see with a Unimog is that is allot bigger so might not fit in my garage to build it.

For the rear conversion, cost is a non issue as I already have all the metal working tools in my shop, at least most of them.

Pat
__________________
" You never, ever, ever go full retard ! "

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:22 PM
dave_lucas's Avatar
dave_lucas
Status: Online
Dave Lucas
None
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CO USA
Posts: 3,126
Couple of ideas for you..

buy or build a hard shell for your pickup bed for storage that will lock (like a truckman from the UK or a topper)

Since you live in Canada buy one of the Canadian M101 trailers and build a top for it that locks.

If you start a build now how long will it delay your trip? How big will the kids be by the time you are ready to go on the trip?

You already have a nice truck that with a few little tweaks could take care of your needs I would think

Follow-up Post:

here is a truckman for a 110 DC
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:27 PM
globallandrovers's Avatar
globallandrovers
Status: Offline
Julian Kotting
1999 P38 DT, 1997 LHD 110 CSW
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hertford UK, Wilmington, NC, Austin, TX and OH
Posts: 1,522
Registry
101 make land rover 110's feel like range rovers. they are the most uncomfortable land rover i have ever driven. I suggest you do a 130 station wagon conversion.
all the best
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Land Rover Defender Specialist. - We ship worldwide.
We are a specialist in TDI re-power conversions, and Crate 'turn key' Land Rover TDI and TD5 engines and Transmissions.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Retrofit's Avatar
Retrofit
Status: Offline
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas
Couple of ideas for you..

buy or build a hard shell for your pickup bed for storage that will lock (like a truckman from the UK or a topper)

Since you live in Canada buy one of the Canadian M101 trailers and build a top for it that locks.

If you start a build now how long will it delay your trip? How big will the kids be by the time you are ready to go on the trip?

You already have a nice truck that with a few little tweaks could take care of your needs I would think

Follow-up Post:

here is a truckman for a 110 DC
Well I am actually building a roll cage (1.75 dom ...) with heavy gauge mesh for the rear with a canvas cover. At this point I still don't know witch way I will lean. I could build a tent trailer but I just don't want to go the ground tent way or RTT way either as I don't like the high center of gravity it leaves you with.

Thanks and still wandering ...

Pat
__________________
" You never, ever, ever go full retard ! "

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Online
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,244
Registry
Make up your own mind. You are basically planning to completely rebuild the vehicle, so there is really not a 101 left after you are done. As it will be a 100% custom rig, it is not really possible for anyone to have an opinion......
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:45 PM
dave_lucas's Avatar
dave_lucas
Status: Online
Dave Lucas
None
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CO USA
Posts: 3,126
M101 with a RTT is kind of in the middle (not to high and not on the ground)

Pic with the tent is mine, the other pics show a lid like mine

OR you could always build a 130 DC with a Luton rear body on it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lid open2.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	20632   Click image for larger version

Name:	lid closed.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	20633  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01240 (Medium).JPG
Views:	210
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	20634  
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old July 19th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Retrofit's Avatar
Retrofit
Status: Offline
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
Make up your own mind. You are basically planning to completely rebuild the vehicle, so there is really not a 101 left after you are done. As it will be a 100% custom rig, it is not really possible for anyone to have an opinion......
Actually what I want with the 101 is a solid platform to build on as I feel would be a good sized one over the Mog one witch is a huge stem up in size in my mind. Basically what people do with Mogs.

Thanks John

P.S. I enjoy that little EGT gauge you referred me too every time I drive my truck, sweet little piece of tech there that fits perfectly in a Carling switch hole on its side.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas
M101 with a RTT is kind of in the middle (not to high and not on the ground)

Pic with the tent is mine, the other pics show a lid like mine

OR you could always build a 130 DC with a Luton rear body on it
I wonder what one of these with double tents would look like ...

Pat
__________________
" You never, ever, ever go full retard ! "

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old July 19th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Gren_T's Avatar
Gren_T
Status: Offline
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: bridgend, wales , UK
Posts: 413
Hi Pat as have been said before the 101 does not make a comfy long distance ride, I have been in a few and all are noisy, cold in winter, boiling in summer and a pain to steer & park.

a friend had a camper converted from an ambulance body a nice conversion he did himself using furniture sold for fitting to VW campers etc looked good.

another chap i knew had a coil converted GS with an isuzu diesel engine it was excellent off road but a bit hairy on tarmac, the isuzu engine was a great fit and ideal in the GS101.
it could keep up with my V8 90 both off road and on.

in the august edition of landrover enthusiast magazine there is an article on a guy with a 101 camper he built himself, If you want to see it i can send you the PDF or the mag if you have difficulty obtaining it locally.

also take a look at chris's website from someone who has done it :
http://www.themorgans.info/expedition/index.php

regards all

Gren
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:06 PM
JohnsD90's Avatar
JohnsD90
Status: Offline
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 2,282
Registry
That was a nice looking conversion
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Online
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,244
Registry
Mogs come in all sizes. Smaller and larger than a 101. Sounds like a fun project, but if you are keeping very little of the original truck, there might be better options.

Take a 90 and add a second (driven) rear axle behind with little overhang. Stockish suspension design, lighter than stock rear springs. Longer than a 110 giving the extra room. Comfortable ride. Unstoppable off road and easy to drive on road.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old July 19th, 2009, 10:53 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
101s are not that big. In fact, I would say there is more room in a 110 SW than a 101. They also ride like crap, are slow, not that great off road (no flex) and geared like a tractor.

I would put a full sw top on your 110 and fit a dormobile or that german company's pop up roof. I would add a sankey trailer if you need more space beyond that.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old July 20th, 2009, 03:38 PM
rmuller
Status: Offline
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Caldwell, NJ
Posts: 1,056
I know someone who has a Series III Ambulance in great condition and may be willing to sell the truck whole, or the back of the ambulance... could be a nice platform for creating a camper...
__________________
Ryan
-------------
Current:
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7


Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old July 21st, 2009, 03:19 PM
D90user's Avatar
D90user
Status: Offline
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Nevada
Posts: 1,447
There are many other vehicles out there that may suit your needs better with a family. But if you want to keep a rover I would suggest a couple things.
Think about parts, weight, economy, comfort and safety (accident and personal).

Making room to be able to sleep inside with out changing anything on the outside is almost a must. A trailer is a bad idea IMHO. Having a some sort of poptop is a great idea but being able to pull over and sleep incognito cannot be overstated, also having the ability to just drive away is part of the safety thing. We used a roof top tent but could also sleep inside, with out hassle.

That said a 101 would be sweet, although probably more work than it would be worth ( i have thought about this alot). If you are going to completely chop it, there could be a better platform to start with (Mog, Fuso, Iveco etc). A good idea would be keeping the front end of the 110 or 130 and making a camper for the entire rear. similar to a slide in on a pickup but custom and fitted to the chassis.

One other thought is that you may want to keep it small enough to fit in a container. That is a major choice and effects shipping options. Containers are small, but it is defiantly possible for a defender base.

just some thoughts...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:32 PM
JFD's Avatar
JFD
Status: Offline
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dominican Republic
Posts: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user
There are many other vehicles out there that may suit your needs better with a family. But if you want to keep a rover I would suggest a couple things.
Think about parts, weight, economy, comfort and safety (accident and personal).

Making room to be able to sleep inside with out changing anything on the outside is almost a must. A trailer is a bad idea IMHO. Having a some sort of poptop is a great idea but being able to pull over and sleep incognito cannot be overstated, also having the ability to just drive away is part of the safety thing. We used a roof top tent but could also sleep inside, with out hassle.

That said a 101 would be sweet, although probably more work than it would be worth ( i have thought about this alot). If you are going to completely chop it, there could be a better platform to start with (Mog, Fuso, Iveco etc). A good idea would be keeping the front end of the 110 or 130 and making a camper for the entire rear. similar to a slide in on a pickup but custom and fitted to the chassis.

One other thought is that you may want to keep it small enough to fit in a container. That is a major choice and effects shipping options. Containers are small, but it is defiantly possible for a defender base.

just some thoughts...
Hey Steve, still in Peru ?
__________________
" Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se. "
- Charles Eames
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:46 PM
D90user's Avatar
D90user
Status: Offline
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Nevada
Posts: 1,447
Nope ( I guess I should change my location ehh?) Got back a couple weeks ago. Good to be home but it is bitter sweet. Already planning way in advance for the next one though!!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old July 22nd, 2009, 12:21 AM
pendy's Avatar
pendy
Status: Offline
jim pendleton
89'd90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: andover, ks usa
Posts: 2,341
What do I win if I show you a picture of what you want?

JP
__________________
legend in my own mind

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old July 22nd, 2009, 01:02 PM
Retrofit's Avatar
Retrofit
Status: Offline
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
What do I win if I show you a picture of what you want?

JP
Hmmmm ... let me see now .... a picture of a very nice Rover !!!

Pat
__________________
" You never, ever, ever go full retard ! "

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old Land Rover 101 Flagg Defender Technical Discussions 36 April 8th, 2006 01:19 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.


Copyright