Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 27th, 2005, 10:34 PM
toolman
Nebojsa Cabrilo

considering d90

(I apologize about my poor english)
Hi,
I am considering getting a new vehicle by the end of the year. i would like to take my time and buy something I will want to keep and maintain for the rest of my life. I am considering several vehicles and am trying to get as much info about each one of them. I like toyota land rovers, jeeps tj, toyota tacomas and international scouts. I grew up in Europe and I remember defenders, but didn't even realize they imported them into the US. I noticed one in town the other day, and looked it up on line. Sure enough there are Defenders in US! The price is about double as all the other vehicles I was looking at, but I just fell in love all over again.
I've tried to look up as much info on line and on this forum but I still have a ton of questions. Thank you for answering any of the following.

(1)ST, SW, POE. (station wagon? soft top? possibly omitting engine???)? So I can't get the SW-hard top and just take it off whenever I feel like and put on soft top? I'd have to get POE to have best of both worlds?

(2)What is a towing capacity of d-90

(3)Has anyone actually fitted 4 adults into jump seats? comfort? legal?

(4)What mileage does v8 get (stick?) what size are 200 and 300 diesel engines and how about their mileage?

(5)I would like to get into off roading ( i have destroyed one nissan pathfinder practicing it, and am ready to step up my destruction vehicle) How would you compare off road capability's of the d90 compared to jeep tj.

(6) how are d90 stock axles. I know most of jeep owners swamp them for bigger once before they invest into lockers. I understand that d90 does not come with lockers from the factory. correct?

(7) how big of a lift and how big of a tires has anyone fitted. I think I would like 33'. Any pics of 33' on d90

(8) has anyone ever imported any? I could get one in europe for a lot less then what they are going here for.
Thanks, and don't be looking for a stcik to beat me with if I have asked anything stupid.
(I like funny smileys)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 27th, 2005, 11:51 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

(1)ST, SW, POE. (station wagon? soft top? possibly omitting engine???)? So I can't get the SW-hard top and just take it off whenever I feel like and put on soft top? I'd have to get POE to have best of both worlds?
Previous Owner Equiped

?
yes, not comfortable

(4)What mileage does v8 get (stick?) what size are 200 and 300 diesel engines and how about their mileage?
11-13MPG V8, 200 and 300's are not available here unless someone converted it

(5)I would like to get into off roading ( i have destroyed one nissan pathfinder practicing it, and am ready to step up my destruction vehicle) How would you compare off road capability's of the d90 compared to jeep tj.
Best stock 4x4 out there

(6) how are d90 stock axles. I know most of jeep owners swamp them for bigger once before they invest into lockers. I understand that d90 does not come with lockers from the factory. correct?
axles are good, people do upgrade you can go to www.greatbasinrovers.com for upgrades

(7) how big of a lift and how big of a tires has anyone fitted. I think I would like 33'. Any pics of 33' on d90
2" lift for 33" tires

(8) has anyone ever imported any? I could get one in europe for a lot less then what they are going here for.
people have imported them but it is illegal. If customs finds it registered in the US they will destroy it
Old March 28th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Previous Owner Equiped
axles are good
Best stock 4x4 out there
2" lift for 33" tires

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2005, 12:42 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Your English is excellent. It is better than many people born and raised in the USA!

(1)ST = Soft Top
SW = Station Wagon
POE = "Port of Entry", which is a different style hard top, but doors like a Soft Top. They were actually converted from soft tops after coming into the US.

Switching between a Station Wagon and Soft Top is a full day of work, and there are a lot of expensive parts that are different such as the roll cage. POE tops are easier to switch, but hard to find. Only 65 POE trucks were converted in 1994.

(2)What is a towing capacity of d-90?
1 H2 stuck in the snowbank. I do not know the exact capacity.

(3)Has anyone actually fitted 4 adults into jump seats?
4 adults do NOT fit, it is only comfortable for 2. The forward facing seat is far safer.

I get about 11-12mpg, but I also have a large roof rack. bigger bumper and winch, and short drives. Oh, and my catalytic converters are in bad shape. Highway is about 15mpg on very long drives. Mine is the V8 with stick shift.

Many people say the Defender suspension has better articulation, but lifts are harder to find. The TJ has more HP I believe, but needs a lift and transfer-case conversion to put more than 31" tirees properly. I would say that a stock Rubicon is better than a stock Defender, mostly because of the lockers in the Rubicon. A Defender with lockers is better than a stock Rubicon.

Correct, lockers do not come from the factory. They are decent axles, but the differential is weak. Putting in lockers fixes that. Some people here have done axle swaps and can give better information on that. But the Defender axles are stronger than the base model Wrangler.

I know that some people have up to 37" tires, mine doesn't have anything that big.

Some people have been able to get them into the USA, but recently somebody was caught trying to. I think it was mentioned that his fine was $100,000 and he lost the truck. I would be cautious about that route.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 28th, 2005, 11:23 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I remember reading somewhere it's 3000 lbs. but in another post they're saying the stock hitch reciever can't hold it. I'm sure somebody will look in their owner's manual for you. (I would but I'm at work and without truck)

You can get inward facing bench seats if you want to go that route. That's probably more comfortable than the jump seats.

I get about 12-14 mpg in my '95 without anything major attached. If I put the roofrack on or load it for a real trail ride it goes way down. It has the stock size tires and bull bar but is a ST, so I'm guessing lighter than a SW.

I've got a buddy with a TJ and we can both go anywhere around here, of course he has a 3" lift and 33" tires...

Just the center lock. As for axles, you need to consider how hardcore you're going to go and how much you will actually use it. You'd be amazed where you can go with these things stock.

Pics gotta be somewhere, check the bios section on the main site.

I've seen new ones around, but don't get caught with them. Also, there's a guy in Rhode Island (supposedly) who has some ex-military stuff but I don't think anyone has confirmed that yet. Depending on your state you can ship one in pieces and put it together yourself for a "Homemade Kit-Car" designation but that's awful troublesome.

Good Luck!
Old March 28th, 2005, 12:28 PM
toolman
Nebojsa Cabrilo

Thank you all for great answers! I'll keep reading, and learning more about defenders before even considering a purchase...

homemade kit car you say? I was considering complete rebuild of the truck anyways as I would like one to last me for about 60 years. I could buy one in europe, and take it apart there. Then just have my dad ship it to me part by part. Wow, I did not even think about this seriously, but now I am considering it.

I am just not sure if i would be cost effective. I could get one for about $5000 with diesel engine. I wonder how much would it cost to ship it over in parts? hmm back to the drawing board!

Thank you all again,
Also does anyone have any videos of defenders 4wheeling???
Old March 28th, 2005, 01:02 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

>>>> (2)What is a towing capacity of d-90

I believe around 3000# with trailer with brakes. 1500# trailer without brakes. From memory, so dont hold me to it. I also recall seeing 7500# in LO range, unless that was for the Disco.

>>>> (5)I would like to get into off roading ( i have destroyed one nissan pathfinder practicing it, and am ready to step up my destruction vehicle) How would you compare off road capability's of the d90 compared to jeep tj.

Stock for stock Rubicon, D90, regular TJ in that order. Lift the TJ afew inches and put 33's and it becomes exceptional. Put 33's on the D90, unhook anti-sway bard and it gets better too. I'd still put money on my old TJ - D44 stock, 4" lift and 33s'.
One more thing - the TJ kept me dry and warm in the rain and snow. Cant say the same for the D90 though.

>>>> (7) how big of a lift and how big of a tires has anyone fitted. I think I would like 33'. Any pics of 33' on d90

I put 33's on my D90 after a spring swap that netted me maybe 1" lift. Looks fine/normal. Cant find a pic just yet...
Old March 28th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Some here may disagree, but I find the notion of a having a vehicle to keep and maintain for life and an off-road "destruction vehicle" to be somewhat at odds. Most hard-core off-road vehicles I've known are like race-cars; they are either substantially rebuilt periodically, or they end up junk.

My own opinion is that I would find a less expensive truck for a destruction vehicle. A Defender is too good of a vehicle to buy and trash. And given there aren't that many in the US, someone else will surely step up to take better care of it. Buy a cheap old wrangler and swap out the running gear. If you're not concerned about navigating tight places, a ten year old f-350 would be a lot of fun.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90