Congrats to Gustavo and Doug - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 9th, 2011, 12:46 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

At least here, the posts, discussions and replies are less likely to disappear.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2011, 04:30 PM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Gezz, after reading all that, that should take care of any future ROAV outings.
How about someone start a new club in the mid atlantic area. Would that be so hard? I bet you would get plenty of members and support. Just my 2 cents.
Old May 9th, 2011, 04:43 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Why does it need to be a club? What benefits are there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2011, 04:48 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchapman View Post
Limited liability for one.

BTW everyone is welcome to join R.O.V.E.R.S. We don't have a huge event like MAR, but we do have a number of smaller events throught the year thanks to the graciousness of some of our members letting us use their property.
Old May 9th, 2011, 06:39 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
I wish Virginia had offroad parks like NC and PA, or public lands like CO and UT. Clubs are fun when you are with good people.
Old May 9th, 2011, 07:34 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
I've asked these question too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Limited liability for one..
Why need a limited liability?

We can go as a group of enthusiast to do trail runs, right? or there are some unknown implications we are no aware off? Just asking not starting an argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiefffff View Post
I wish Virginia had offroad parks like NC and PA, or public lands like CO and UT. Clubs are fun when you are with good people.
We have the GWNF and The Cove. IMO those are very nice places.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 9th, 2011, 08:26 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

I too do not understand Ron's comment about liability.

In VA we may only have the GWNF, Cove, Crozet, Big Boys Playground, and the OEX VA Course.

But close to the VA borders are Rausch Creek, Ruck Run, Anvil Rock, Windrock, Uwharri, and the Hatfield and McCoy Trails.

That's 10 different places. Find 2 more and we have one place to go a month.

There is Chinquipin Off-Road Park in TN; Northumberland County Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area in PA; and Jelico, too.
Old May 10th, 2011, 05:32 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Quote:
I guess it wouldn't have to be a "club", that concept makes it easier for those who don't want to organize a weekend of wheeling, but would rather just attend. Lets say start a "group" from the mid atlantic area, or whatever would work, like someone to instagate a trip somewhere. For me I have never been one to go to club meetings, so that type of thing dosen't mean much to me, I just like to go wheeling with a good group of people, and the plans have to start from someone. Hey this sounds like it has some potential, someone run with it (Dan, Gus, Charles......)
Old May 10th, 2011, 12:40 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
I too do not understand Ron's comment about liability.
If you want to use private land, it is a big issue. For example, I invite 100 of my friends over to my farm for a rover event and someone is hurt, they can sue me. If the club rents the land from me for the event and someone is injured, they can sue the club (which as a corporation they cannot get to the members) and the club can purchase insurance. I know you sign waivers etc. etc. but just being sued sucks enough that the threat of it stops people from offering up their land to use.
Old May 10th, 2011, 03:14 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

If I had enough land to host an event for 100 trucks, I would think my homeowners insurance, plus umbrella policy, would cover it. And if I did not think that would be sufficient, I could just add a rider or up my coverage. Umbrella policies are cheap; I have a $1M umbrella and it's like $150.00yr.

Sure, they're suing me and not the "club", but I don't tend to surround myself with folks who are quick to sue anyway.

I surround myself with folks just the opposite as this:
Quote:
Dan Chapman,

As you should know I am no longer officially affiliated with ROAV.

I am posting this here, in a public forum so that all will know. This is not a threat. It is a promise.

I am now absolutely prepared and committed to vigorously defend myself against your continuation of countless libelous actions in the VA courts. The previous post is but one instance of evidence, in which you accuse me publicly of theft. There are countless more instances of evidential, publicly available examples on Discoweb.org.

Your time has come, Dan. Are you and your family legally and financially prepared to defend yourself in a court of law? You may want to consult an attorney before you type one of your clever responses to that question.

Be very careful what you type next, Sir.

John Tackley
Old May 10th, 2011, 03:46 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
If I had enough land to host an event for 100 trucks, I would think my homeowners insurance, plus umbrella policy, would cover it. And if I did not think that would be sufficient, I could just add a rider or up my coverage. Umbrella policies are cheap; I have a $1M umbrella and it's like $150.00yr.

Sure, they're suing me and not the "club", but I don't tend to surround myself with folks who are quick to sue anyway.

I don't want to debate, but homeowners generally won't cover something like that and you have to look at exclusions etc. and people who own 100+ acres tend to have assets to lose.
Old May 10th, 2011, 03:58 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

I'm still not sure what you mean. Homeowners does not cover what? I don't see the difference between the UPS man making a delivery, falling and getting hurt; having 10 people over for a BBQ and someone getting burned by the grill; or a few guys coming over to go wheeling.

I'm sure you could get all technical and reference frivolous court cases proving your point such as the Winnebago incident. But if I had the land to host such an "event", I would not hesitate.
Old May 10th, 2011, 04:53 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
" Winnebago incident."
reminds me of a relative of mine whom purchased a new sports car back in the 80's, the sales pitch included a brief reason for all the gadgets on said vehicle, combination keyless entry and abs being the main point.
she would attempt to convince everyone that entering the combination to unlock the car and then digging for the keys to start the car, was much faster than simply using the key to complete the whole unlock/starting procedure...
ABS was "meant to stop the car on a dime" so she would follow very close to the car ahead and then attempt to stop sooner than the car ahead.... did not work.
all because it had been part of the sales pitch.
after 3 secuential incidents of having rear ended 3 different cars she decided to sell the car and became irate because the purchaser noticed the bad body work and devaluated the car... she attempted to explain the reasoning behind the wrecks as "brakes dont stop the car".
an even further reason to devaluate the then 2 yr old sports car.
eventually she started a family and traded in for a minivan...
still makes me laugh when I think of her reasoning behind it all... I know it was sheer stupidity or misunderstanding on her behalf.
yet to this day she swears she will not buy that brand of sports car again due to the "brakes"...lol.
Old May 10th, 2011, 05:38 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
She wasn't driving Ron's Lotus, was she?
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:47 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
She wasn't driving Ron's Lotus, was she?
Cold.
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:15 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

let us know when you receive that summons to appear.

Quote:

Old May 11th, 2011, 07:34 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Damn shame that in this world today, lawyers and insurance companies ruin everything.I guess that one day you will be sued for just looking at someone. For me I will be purchasing the brief glance insurance, because I think the full fledged stare coverage will be too costly.. I just want to drive my truck in the woods!!
Old May 13th, 2011, 12:52 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by disco dog View Post
Damn shame that in this world today, lawyers and insurance companies ruin everything.I guess that one day you will be sued for just looking at someone. For me I will be purchasing the brief glance insurance, because I think the full fledged stare coverage will be too costly.. I just want to drive my truck in the woods!!
10-4 well said but unfurtunately there will allways be a group of people whom one way or another will tend ruin it for the rest of us intentionally or not.
sometimes all of this b/s tends to make me wanna get rid of my rover. then,I realize how versatile it is and just put the off road techinicallity on the side and go on my happy way.
eventually it comes back again just like a phase and the cycle runs all over again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat