computer question - Better deal is ?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 23rd, 2012, 12:49 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Question computer question - Better deal is ??

So the 2008 Apple MAC pro lap top just died. Would not turn on. Needed a new computer for the kids school work anyway so the Apple store was able to migrate the data from the old hard drive to a new MAC pro and the kids have a new computer.

Now the old MAC is in hand - obviously died and at the very least has a bad battery, several keys that stick/broken and the older processers - it is 4 yrs old. The apple store teased me with a deal for $300 Apple will take the computer, refurbish it to full working order and give a 90 day warrenty. Or I can mail the lap top to a recycle office who will determine if it has value and mail me an Apple gift card for that unknown amount.

So the question: What is the better deal? $300 for a back up functional(?) MAC that is 4 yrs old or a leap of faith that this Apple recycle will send me a gift card?

Any experience out there - thoughts??
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:24 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

So you get a functioning computer for $300? I'd take it, give it to the kids and keep the new one for myself.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 08:37 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Throw a SSD in there and it will feel fast ... I did it to my 5 year old MacBook and honestly my brand new laptop from dell that I get from work feels no faster.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2012, 10:53 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
if you want to have it refurbished for 300 I will buy it off you after refurbished for the 300 - I have a g4 powerbook that is limping along and need a new computer but am short on cash

J
Old October 24th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
$300 for refurbishment is a bargain. I got quoted $700 to repair a 2009 MacBook Air which had a bad motherboard (seems to be a serial defect from what I've heard).
Old October 24th, 2012, 08:55 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
So you get a functioning computer for $300? I'd take it, give it to the kids and keep the new one for myself.
x2...
Old October 24th, 2012, 09:12 AM
TravelerBT
Philip Marshall
none - :*(

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb View Post
So the 2008 Apple MAC pro lap top just died. Would not turn on. Needed a new computer for the kids school work anyway so the Apple store was able to migrate the data from the old hard drive to a new MAC pro and the kids have a new computer.

Now the old MAC is in hand - obviously died and at the very least has a bad battery, several keys that stick/broken and the older processers - it is 4 yrs old. The apple store teased me with a deal for $300 Apple will take the computer, refurbish it to full working order and give a 90 day warrenty. Or I can mail the lap top to a recycle office who will determine if it has value and mail me an Apple gift card for that unknown amount.

So the question: What is the better deal? $300 for a back up functional(?) MAC that is 4 yrs old or a leap of faith that this Apple recycle will send me a gift card?

Any experience out there - thoughts??
I have gotten the same offer from Apple several times. Mixed results...

I had a 5 year old 17" mac book pro that died, paid $400 bucks for the refurb and it lasted another 2 years... GREAT ...

on the flip side however... I had a mac mini desktop version that I did the same thing for because of the success of the first try... but it came back 4 times in that 90 day warranty AND never actually got fixed... they finally just gave me a discount on a new one and I recycled it..

So, it is a shot in the dark...
Old October 24th, 2012, 09:14 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
We had this done to one of our MACs a few years ago - new battery, motherboard, keyboard, Snow Leopard (I think?) installed, etc. - and they covered it all for free - even though the Apple Care had expired some time before then. The existing data was unretrievable, but we got basically a new laptop for free. The screen started flickering a little recently, but it's fine as an extra laptop in addition to the MacBook Pro we recently picked up.
Old October 24th, 2012, 09:56 AM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Go with the 300.00 apple deal... I did this for a back up Mac book Pro. They went through and replaced everything that was not in working order.
Old October 24th, 2012, 10:08 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
$300 and keep the laptop, definitely.

The best way to think about this: Think about the alternatives that you could buy for $300. Yeah, not even a cheap and underpowered plastic netbook with an 8 inch screen.

And don't sell it to someone for $300. That's crazy. Even the value of the broken laptop is at least that much.
Old October 24th, 2012, 10:25 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
It's mostly about planned obsolescence: modern computers are built to last 3 years. Even if I am a big Apple disciple, I think they are the kings of this. Yesterdays new products announcements is just one more proof of that.

As curator of Montreal's computer history museum, I see the difference in parts quality and general assembly of older and newer computers. The mechanical components (hard drives and fans) are usually the first to go. A inefficient fan, as on my D90 it cause engine dammage, in a computer will cause premature wear of CPU's and electronic components. For 300$, it seems like a decent deal. Replacing the hard disk for a SSD and more RAM would be better, but then you are probably close to the cut-off for making the MacBook Air or Mac Mini (if mobility is not a issue) a better buy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat