Computer installation in my 110. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 24th, 2007, 05:28 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Computer installation in my 110.

Hi. I just mostly finished the installation of a computer and touchscreen in my 110. The computer is under the passenger seat and the 8" touchscreen is in a custom dash console. I figured I'd post this here since I think it's pretty cool, and in case anyone is going through anything similar.

- Andrew.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8623.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	9093   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8626.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	9094  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2007, 06:18 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Nice work, how are you keeping it cool?
Old April 24th, 2007, 06:23 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its the coolest custom PC case ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2007, 06:25 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
Nice work, how are you keeping it cool?
Right now, I'm not. I'm going to monitor the temperatures and see what happens to them as I use it. I'm using a VIA Epia motherboard/CPU combo which uses very little energy and produces very little heat, and a laptop hard drive. If it starts to heat up in there too much. I'll have to add a fan or two. I guess I'd cut into the seat box to do that but I don't want to if I don't have to as then it's not waterproof in there any more ... at least as things are I can still wade up to the top of the seat box if I have to. I guess I could put a snorkel sort of arrangement on there to blow air in from up above. If it comes to it I'll likely do something like that.

I also have higher resolution photos available at http://www.clarke.ca/gallery/view_al...eries_X-Charge in case anyone cares that much.

- Andrew.
Old April 24th, 2007, 06:37 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
NICE! That motherboard is for the compact cases, like the cubes? Is your setup mainly for GPS purposes and/or what do you have planned?
Old April 24th, 2007, 06:51 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

It's a low power, compact motherboard with a soldered-on CPU. I think at full tilt the motherboard and CPU together put out 11 watts. Compare that with a normal desktop CPU that can easily push 70+ watts by itself. It's also something like 17cm square so it fits in nicely. They're designed for low power applications so they also have solid sleep/standby/hibernation features.

I have a DC power supply with an integrated startup/shutdown controller so the computer comes out of hibernation when I turn the truck on and hibernates when I shut it off. It's pretty slick, really.

Right now the main use will be GPS. I'll also have the technical manuals on there. I don't have a stereo right now, but when I finally put one in I'll add a CD/DVD drive and use it to play music.

- Andrew.
Old April 24th, 2007, 07:09 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Heck, depending on the size harddrive you have in there, you can just store all your 'legally' purchased mp3s on there. Do you have wifi setup on it?
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Or just add a USB port to play music through. BTW, what makes you think its waterproof in there now...it is a rover afterall?!

Seriously though...I like it. I have thought about something like that for a long time, just never actually done it.
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:26 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

If you integrate it to the engine sensors, along with boost and EGT gauges then I will get excited for you.

Replace your instrument panel with it. Two screens.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Pendy, you really need to look into Megasquirt EFI. I think it would be right up your alley.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:13 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I've been looing at that lately. But I have not seen the Car Puter made that I see a need for in vehicles like ours. Something that integrates the capabilites of a laptop into the vehicle itself. One system.

The tuner boys have some products that are close.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old April 25th, 2007, 06:08 AM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclarke
then it's [seat box] not waterproof in there any more ... at least as things are I can still wade up to the top of the seat box if I have to.
How did you waterproof it?

Also, you might be intrested in this [=urlhttps://www.expeditionexchange.com/muduk/]device[/url] for your dash. It might help consolidate any future switches or other devices required by your system.
Old April 25th, 2007, 08:25 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
I've been looing at that lately. But I have not seen the Car Puter made that I see a need for in vehicles like ours. Something that integrates the capabilites of a laptop into the vehicle itself. One system.

The tuner boys have some products that are close.
Have you seen that grand cherokee kicking around with the mac mini in it? I don't know if they're running diagnostics or engine data through it, but after what Ford did with them on the assembly line I feel like it'd be easy to do.
Old April 25th, 2007, 11:15 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

OK to answer some questions.

Right now I haven't waterproofed it at all. It's in the seat box, which is waterproof from outside, unless someone dumps water on it from above. I've never dumped my truck in so much water that it would go above the seat box, and to be frank my investment into hardware in there isn't so much that I'm particularly worried about it anyway.

Right now I have a 30GB drive in there since that's what I had kicking around in laptop size from my 6 year old dead laptop. It makes a noise like a jet engine and something rattles when I shake it, but it still runs so I'm using it. When it dies I'll get a bigger one, and yeah it will hold my mp3 collection. I'll have to downsample somewhat since right now my music collection is around 115GB but I usually rip to Apple Lossless. In the 110 I don't think I'll notice the difference in sonic quality between 800kpbs and 128 though

As far as integrating with engine sensors, yeah that's something I've thought of but since I have no experience with that, I haven't given it any serious consideration for now. I'd need the computer before doing any of that anyway. I'd still want analogue gauges as part of the draw of having a 200tdi is reducing my dependence on electronics, so I don't want to RELY on the computer for anything. I'd like to learn more about that though, and in a year or three, who knows.

Regarding the MudUK dash console, something like that would have worked I guess, but mine's custom made for what I need out of aluminium and I think it works well. I can reposition the gauges and stuff along the top to make more room there if I need to, and I'll be using the space below the screen for switch gear when I get around to wiring it in.

- Andrew.
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:00 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I dig it. I have way too many other issues to deal with, but once my truck runs long enough to give me time to play with stuff like this, I'll do a car-puter. But my seat boxes are anything but dry and any other component needs to pass the hose-down test or it wont last in my truck :D. I'm also interested in feeding in as much as is possible from the electronics to make it more useful than just GPS and music.

charles
Old April 26th, 2007, 06:47 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Hey Charles. How is your seat box not dry? Do you have holes in it, or what? Mine SEEMS dry, and I didn't see any holes or anything in it, so to be honest I just presumed that it would be watertight. Maybe that was a bad idea.

The seat box with the battery has vents and holes, but the one under the right seat didn't seem to have anything like that.

- Andrew.
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:13 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Hi Andrew

I don't recall if there are holes, or just poor seals at the joints, but I get water (and mud) in the passenger box as well as the driver side (which I know for sure has holes). Might just be my truck though.

If you made some "legs" and mounted that backplane to it (preferably with some rubber isolators) to keep it off the bottom and sides that would probably do the trick. I don't think you'll get a lot of splashing in there, but more an issue of water seeping in when in deep water.

charles
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:45 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

I have the motherboard mounting tray sitting on 2" pipe insulation. It's stuck above and below the tray and provides a space of about 1" between the tray and the floor of the seat box, as well as vibration damping and suspension.

I should have taken a photo of this before I installed it, but you can sort of see what I mean along the top edge of the tray in this photo.

- Andrew.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8623.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	9114  
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:40 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah I saw the pipe insulation, but wasn't sure if it was under it too. That should do the trick - as long as you don't let any water pour over the top of the seat box Let us know how it holds up over time.

charles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, installation