Colorado Springs / Fort Carson - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 20th, 2010, 02:56 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Colorado Springs / Fort Carson

We just got word today of our next duty station assignment: Fort Carson, CO.

As you might guess, I'm super happy about this, especially considering the other mostly-sucky places on the list.

I have a ton of questions and I know that there are lots of Colorado people here so I figured I'd hit you up.

First off, who here lives in the area? Any (current or former) Fort Carson folks?

Can you recommend some good neighborhoods to check out? My wife wants a newer home, although I would love to find an older (1940's or earlier) home that's been remodeled. We both prefer to be up in/near the mountains if possible.

Where is the high-tech industry in Colorado? I may have to find a new job if my current employer doesn't let me telecommute.

By chance, are any of you Army Reservists? I'm a USAR engineer officer (wife is active duty) and I will be looking for a new unit in the area.

Anything else we should know?

We are scheduled to move in August. Hope to meet up with you all and grab a beer when I get there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I have nothing constructive to add, other than that I hate you..... I've been trying to move there for years, but haven't had any luck finding work in my field. Aviation is such a stagnated industry right now.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 20th, 2010, 10:32 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
First off, who here lives in the area? Any (current or former) Fort Carson folks?

Can you recommend some good neighborhoods to check out? My wife wants a newer home, although I would love to find an older (1940's or earlier) home that's been remodeled. We both prefer to be up in/near the mountains if possible.

Where is the high-tech industry in Colorado? I may have to find a new job if my current employer doesn't let me telecommute.

We are scheduled to move in August. Hope to meet up with you all and grab a beer when I get there!
Hi Chris-

Welcome to the area! Although I've always lived in Monument, I've always worked in the Springs. Most of the high-tech industry (what is left...) is off of Garden of the Gods (where I work), or down near the airport. Some is moving to the North end of the Springs.

If you want to be nearer to Ft. Carson, I'd look on the West Side: Off of Hwy 115, Old Colorado City, Broadmoor Bluffs, Manitou Springs, Green Mountain Falls, etc. Further away would be any of the mountain communities: Woodland Park, Divide, etc. Also, Black Forest and Monument. If snow is an issue, I'd stay in the Springs. We always get more snow up here. For instance, yesterday the Springs received a couple inches. We got 8. You'll be able to get larger lots in the later areas. Don't know what your budget is, but the best thing to do is get on Zillow and start poking around.

Shoot me an email if I can answer is other questions. Give me a holler when you get in town; we'll grab a beer! Colorado has a great group of Rover folks out here. Check out the Colorado Happy Hour thread in the events section.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2010, 12:08 PM
mmac
Mark M
LR3-95 D-90

I have to add I hate you too.. I have lived all over the country and have worked in many areas, but haven't been able to get back to Colorado yet. Lots of great outdoor activities, people and sunshine. You'll love it.
Old March 20th, 2010, 12:14 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
www.recolorado.com is another great place to look at houses on the market. It's 3-4 days delayed off MLS so not too bad.
Old March 20th, 2010, 12:19 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

I was stationed at Fort Carson, but I don't know how much help I can be - it was in the late 70's. Different world now, I imagine.
Old March 20th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I am north of Denver in Boulder (work in Denver) and there is a fairly large LR crew throughout the state. There is also the Solihull Society which may be a good resource for you as well. http://www.solihullsociety.org/ Colorado rocks. Just kidding--it really sucks. Especially if you like outdoors. Too crowded, awful weather, huge storms, fleas, massive Chupacabras, off roading is illeagal and the ski areas and rock climbing areas have all shut down. No good beer either. How I have managed to live here for 12 years is amazing--I can probably only put up with it for another 4 or 5 decades before I bail.

The only downside is when the switched from sand in the winter to mag chloride--never had rust issues but now...
Old March 20th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Dredd
Harlan Boone

Oh man you are so lucky. I've been working remotely for a Colorado company for years but can't seem to get them to move me out there. So I'm out there often but don't get to really enjoy it.
Congrats.
HB
Old March 20th, 2010, 06:28 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Thanks, everybody. Yes, we feel very lucky to be getting this duty assignment. Hopefully we will get to enjoy it and not spend the entire time on deployments.

I'm looking forward to attending the LRNR and not having to drive 1500 miles to get there.
Old March 20th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

Welcome to Colorado Chris!

Best,
Art Vigil
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
colorado