Colorado Flood Victim - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 1st, 2013, 04:29 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
Im thinking I want to grab it and do the rebuild - will have to keep an eye on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2013, 05:11 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Not exactly. Look up "Rebuilder's Title" in the Colorado code. It can be reborn.
I apologize if this comes across as snarky, but you really should go read the law. This 110 DOES NOT QUALIFY for a "Re-builders Title". One of the pre-requirements for applicability for a "Re-builders Title" is that the vehicle has to be more than 25 years old (see C.R.S. 42-12-102(1)(a)(II)). And if that isn't enough, the law also states that vehicles "model year 1976 or later" must have been "registered as a collector's item prior to September 1, 2009; except that a vehicle so registered is not eligible for registration as a collector's item upon sale or transfer to a new owner" (see C.R.S 42-12-101(2)(b)). So even if it did meet the age requirement, which it doesn't, it will be sold and transferred to a new owner, therefore the law once again wouldn't apply. This of course is in addition to the fact that the title has been cancelled (i.e., "junked") and as such the vehicle can no longer be titled or registered.....anywhere....ever. End o' story.

Thanks for playing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old November 1st, 2013, 05:14 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

What about in a state like New Hampshire that doesn't require a title on a vehicle older than 15 years? It would be registered on a bill of sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2013, 05:15 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
I apologize if this comes across as snarky, but you really should go read the law. This 110 DOES NOT QUALIFY for a "Re-builders Title". One of the pre-requirements for applicability for a "Re-builders Title" is that the vehicle has to be more than 25 years old (see C.R.S. 42-12-102(1)(a)(II)). And if that isn't enough, the law also states that vehicles "model year 1976 or later" must have been "registered as a collector's item prior to September 1, 2009; except that a vehicle so registered is not eligible for registration as a collector's item upon sale or transfer to a new owner" (see C.R.S 42-12-101(2)(b)). So even if it did meet the age requirement, which it doesn't, it will be sold and transferred to a new owner, therefore the law once again wouldn't apply. This of course is in addition to the fact that the title has been cancelled (i.e., "junked") and as such the vehicle can no longer be titled or registered.....anywhere....ever. End o' story. Thanks for playing.
Dammit Boy! Talk about killing the mood!
Old November 1st, 2013, 05:23 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
With all due respect, there are ways.

-Jeff
With all due respect, I'm sure there are. You just can't be the kind of person who has qualms about committing a FELONY.

All titles are tracked through a national database (see link below). The only thing this 110 is good for is parts for another vehicle.

http://www.vehiclehistory.gov/

Quote:
Old November 1st, 2013, 05:24 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Just my 2 cents having dealt with California... They didn't care about out of state titles, they wanted to do vin verification and that's it. This truck would easily pass that requirement. In addition, we are not beholden to Colorado law. Just like us Kalifornians can make laws against Uzis, right across the border in Nevada you can rent one on the Vegas Strip. Colorado can say "ZOMG YOUCANT TITLE THIS FOREVERSSSS!" and that really doesn't mean anything once you cross the border to any other state.

Old November 1st, 2013, 05:28 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

The good money is still on New Hampshire or maybe Vermont. Maybe I should offer title "consulting"...
Old November 1st, 2013, 06:14 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
With all due respect, there are ways.

-Jeff
Tru dat. First order of business: get it out of Colorado.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old November 1st, 2013, 06:16 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Just my 2 cents having dealt with California... They didn't care about out of state titles, they wanted to do vin verification and that's it. This truck would easily pass that requirement. In addition, we are not beholden to Colorado law. Just like us Kalifornians can make laws against Uzis, right across the border in Nevada you can rent one on the Vegas Strip. Colorado can say "ZOMG YOUCANT TITLE THIS FOREVERSSSS!" and that really doesn't mean anything once you cross the border to any other state.
We can argue the point all day long until we are both blue in the face. The fact is, the chain of title stops in Colorado. The title conveys ownership of the 110 as a registerable vehicle that is safe for use on our nation's roads. Colorado law cancelled the title and it has been destroyed. No title exists any longer. In following the law, the insurance company which now "owns" the vehicle (bought and paid to the insured) does not want it on the road anymore. Think of this 110 as the Vehicle Formerly Known as SALDH1286PA920442 (I'm sure you remember the "Artist Formerly Known as Prince"). He looks like Prince, sings like Prince, but his name isn't "Prince" anymore. He didn't own the name. The same is true here. The title has been cancelled. The VIN is just the lingering identifier. Moving the vehicle to another state does not change this. Sure, California is not beholden to Colorado Law, but it is beholden to Federal law. And under Federal law the intentional act of titling this vehicle (even if in another state) is considered FRAUDULENT. Fraud is a felony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
The good money is still on New Hampshire or maybe Vermont. Maybe I should offer title "consulting"...
If you did, you would be an accomplice to a felonious act.....which is also a felony. So, good luck with that!

Quote:
Old November 1st, 2013, 06:32 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

You could easily rebuild it on an 80's model 110... All the parts would transfer over and then you could title it, legally. You could also rebuild a NAS 90 into it...

As for using the current vin, you could get it titled in some state, somewhere, but the current vin would always show a Total Loss... as it should.

Old November 1st, 2013, 06:46 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
You could easily rebuild it on an 80's model 110... All the parts would transfer over and then you could title it, legally. You could also rebuild a NAS 90 into it...
Scott,

You hit the nail on the head. That is a 100% legal use.

Quote:
Old November 1st, 2013, 07:21 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

It will go for more than it is worth, I gave up on going to the auctions for Defenders as they always sell for crazy amounts of money even with a junk or part only bill of sale.
Old November 1st, 2013, 08:50 PM
Himalaya
Mark WS
1995 Nas, 86 D110, 97 Hummer H1

IMHO Not worth any effort to restore. There would be no point. The cost in parts and labor to restobuild a truck would far outweigh any value it would have with or without a title. Once it has a flawed history there is no market for serious money. So why bother with the expense.
Say good bye to it and be done. The owner got his fair share value from it, and from what was said about the chassis needs replacing only leads into more problem areas. Some trucks have had their life expectancy.
Old November 1st, 2013, 09:16 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
I apologize if this comes across as snarky, but you really should go read the law. This 110 DOES NOT QUALIFY for a "Re-builders Title". One of the pre-requirements for applicability for a "Re-builders Title" is that the vehicle has to be more than 25 years old (see C.R.S. 42-12-102(1)(a)(II)). And if that isn't enough, the law also states that vehicles "model year 1976 or later" must have been "registered as a collector's item prior to September 1, 2009; except that a vehicle so registered is not eligible for registration as a collector's item upon sale or transfer to a new owner" (see C.R.S 42-12-101(2)(b)). So even if it did meet the age requirement, which it doesn't, it will be sold and transferred to a new owner, therefore the law once again wouldn't apply. This of course is in addition to the fact that the title has been cancelled (i.e., "junked") and as such the vehicle can no longer be titled or registered.....anywhere....ever. End o' story.

Thanks for playing.
Clearly Colorado has an inane law on the books

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 1st, 2013, 09:21 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Himalaya

Even if that is the case, it still has significant parts value. Assuming its just the chassis thats a little soft, the value of everything else is close to $10k. Depends how bad the interior really is.

Engine/trans/transfer, $800
Front axle $500
Rear axle $750
Wheels maybe as high as $900
Roll cage $2500?
Firewall with A/C system, $1800
Doors if decent, $1600
Roof rack $1000

Thats about $10k right there.

------ Follow up post added November 1st, 2013 09:25 PM ------

Let's assume that a couple "felons" do get it titled, or registered in a non-title state. With full disclosure of the history of the truck, after it has been repaired appropriately, what would the market value be? I would say still in the mid/high $30's.
Old November 1st, 2013, 09:25 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Will- no doubt what you say is correct. That said, there is always a way. Many states do not recognize the laws of others. Clearly Colorado has an inane law on the books as this truck, while an insurance loss, just needs to be gotten running and has not been structurally damaged in any way beyond moisture. I have no doubt that I could get a title for the truck in several different states.
Like Georgia. That state will title anything!
Old November 1st, 2013, 09:38 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Not true has to be older then 20 years! Then they just issue bill of sales which is a good way to wash a title and get an new one. But with that said you still need an amenity bond and a DMV investigator to do their due diligence and they still have to investigate. As long as their are no issues, leans, or stole vin your state will issue a title dependent on what they find.
Old November 1st, 2013, 09:55 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Will- no doubt what you say is correct. That said, there is always a way. Many states do not recognize the laws of others. Clearly Colorado has an inane law on the books as this truck, while and insurance loss, just needs to be gotten running and has not been structurally damaged in any way beyond moisture. I have no doubt that I could get a title for the truck in several different states with full disclosure and police inspections. What Mark says about the carfax showing the history is the bottom line for many. Several on this site have NAS 110's with salvage history and could care less as its their dream truck.
Doug,

I'm not sure where to start with my response to your post. The members who have salvage 110's have just that, Salvage titled. A salvage title is very different than a junk "parts only" bill of sale. A salvage vehicle still has a title. The title conveys registerable legal ownership. A salvage titled vehicle can be rebuilt and the title cleaned so that it can be registered for use on the road. A parts only bill of sale does not convey registerable title. A vehicle sold on a bill of sale as "parts only" cannot be rebuilt and registered in the same manner as a salvage titled vehicle. They are 2 completely different things.

Y'all just don't seem to get it. This 110 is now just a pile of parts that happen to be assembled into the appearance of a complete vehicle. No matter how much those of you want it to be a registerable vehicle, it isn't. I don't care who thinks they can get a title, or whether they've known someone who has in the past. People buy crack and cocaine everyday...the same people may even take it from one state to another. In the end though, it's still illegal.

But if y'all think you know better, then go ahead, buy it and and get it registered. What do I know.....

P.S.- God help you if you were ever to get into an accident in the thing...or better yet, sold it to someone who got into an accident in the thing. Liability out your ying yang. And don't expect your insurance company to cover you. Uhuh, no sir, the check for injuries and damage will be coming out of your own back pocket......

EDIT: Doug, I was reading back through the thread and noticed you changed your post. I have your original response above. Where'd the rest go?

Quote:
Old November 1st, 2013, 10:20 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Will, no title states do not require titles for old vehicles specifically because situations like this are ridiculous. Clearly you are very educated in the letter of the law and I won't argue with you. I will respectfully disagree about liability, intent, felonious acts, etc.

Where is the "federal law" that says I can not register this vehicle in a no title state? I would like to educate myself if I am incorrect.
Old November 1st, 2013, 10:32 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
Not true has to be older then 20 years! Then they just issue bill of sales which is a good way to wash a title and get an new one. But with that said you still need an amenity bond and a DMV investigator to do their due diligence and they still have to investigate. As long as their are no issues, leans, or stole vin your state will issue a title dependent on what they find.
Brian,

You're confusing the laws. The requirement for eligibility of a Colorado "Re-builder title" is that the vehicle has to be more than 25 years old. You, on the other hand, are talking about NC law. True, in NC you can get a title for a vehicle when the title is lost and the accompanying vehicle is sold on bill of sale (bond req., inspection by the State Highway Patrol, etc.). However, we're not talking about a vehicle where the title was lost. NC WILL NOT ISSUE TITLE for a vehicle that is sold on bill of sale as "parts only" from within NC or from any another state in the Union. I know this for a FACT.

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
colorado