Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 23rd, 2015, 11:31 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

COLLECTOR's Insurance - OUTSIDE?

Hi,

Curious…..Does anyone know a place to get collector's insurance, on a low milage vehicle that sits OUTSIDE?

-------------------------------

I am an original owner. My truck has always sat outside, and just passed 100k miles. It is in good mechanical shape. I have kept up with any rust. Cosmetically, the paint, and rubber around the windows have seen better days. I don't plan to sell. Yet it is amazing how much these trucks are worth. Even in worse condition than mine (attaching a picture from a car show I entered for fun with the kids).

I have USAA insurance, always been happy, but I am sure if I ever totaled my truck that I would not get what I think it is worth.

Problem is that every one I have looked up and called, require that the Defender is kept in a garage if you want insurance. It never has been inside, and I can not see having that opportunity come up.

I guess I am just done worrying about it, unless someone has been through this before and has a recommendation.

FLAGG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	119028  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2015, 11:41 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Instead of collector you might need to look into agreed policies.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 02:58 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

I have USAA as well, and checked into their classic coverage, which is run by a 3rd party insurer. My issue was they would only let me drive it to car shows and Sunday rides, no errands, no trips to Starbucks, so I passed. They recommended that I ask USAA about an agreed upon value policy. They also confirmed that according to their valuations (Black or Blue book, I can't remember) NAS 90s are valued from about $40k-$70K depending on condition.

I have not followed-up with USAA yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2015, 03:02 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by founD90 View Post
They recommended that I ask USAA about an agreed upon value policy. They also confirmed that according to their valuations (Black or Blue book, I can't remember) NAS 90s are valued from about $40k-$70K depending on condition. I have not followed-up with USAA yet.
I can confirm this with USAA. I got the same numbers when I called. They can't guarantee those numbers on total loss, but with receipts and an appraisal to back it up t shouldn't be an issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old April 23rd, 2015, 04:26 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

I have a 1993 RS America that I am also the original owner of. It is in beautiful shape. USAA advised me to take that OFF their policy - saying that I would never get what it was worth in a total loss - because they would treat it as a a car that depreciated (when it as actually went up in value).

Their affiliated company is American Collector's insurance. That is where I decided to insure the RSA - at an agreed upon value. And that is the car that has always sat in my garage, while the Defender sat outside and actually did the real errands

So I asked them should I be insuring the Defender at an agreed upon value, and take it off my USAA policy as well. They said definitely. So did USAA. But once they found out I parked it outside, they said they could not help me.

I called some other insurance companies that do collector cars. No one could help an outside vehicle. Even and old trusty friendly Defender

WOLF - You are saying that, if God Forbid, I totaled my Defender - that I probably could get a decent value from USAA for it. Could I provided with list of cars for sale and stuff? Or do I need an official appraisal?

FLAGG
Old April 23rd, 2015, 05:48 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
WOLF - You are saying that, if God Forbid, I totaled my Defender - that I probably could get a decent value from USAA for it. Could I provided with list of cars for sale and stuff? Or do I need an official appraisal? FLAGG
I asked to get it in writing, but they said all you can do is try to prove value with receipts and an appraisal. It's a crap shoot. Mine will be an $80k daily driver, so I don't have many insurance options. USAAs $25k-$70k figure for a '94 is based on mileage and condition. I'll be able to show a full restoration with 0 miles, receipts, and an appraisal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old April 23rd, 2015, 07:07 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

I'm moving to Hagerty after a call to my insurer.. I do park inside and have another car insured with them though, but off-roading was a question I answered yes too as well and agreed upon value. They prefer to rebuild anyway

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old April 23rd, 2015, 07:16 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynch356 View Post
I'm moving to Hagerty after a call to my insurer.. I do park inside and have another car insured with them though, but off-roading was a question I answered yes too as well and agreed upon value. They prefer to rebuild anyway
I have Hagerty for a bunch of cars, but they would not cover my Defender—didnt meet the 25 year rule. Have they changed that?
Old April 23rd, 2015, 07:37 PM
rusty james
Rob
95 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc4 View Post
I have Hagerty for a bunch of cars, but they would not cover my Defender—didnt meet the 25 year rule. Have they changed that?

Same here. Have other cars insured through Haggerty but they said they couldn't cover the 90.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 07:45 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Try Chubb. They are a good insurance company.

I personally have an agreed upon policy with Safeco but I garage my truck.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 08:25 PM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Back to the PO's original Q-
Is there anyone with an agreed or stated value insurance with their truck outside?
USAA if you can qualify.
Anyone, with Allstate? I hear they offer stated.
Old April 24th, 2015, 03:41 PM
MyD90
Chris
1997 Defender

Registry
I had an agreed upon value policy for my 97 d90 with State Farm and just moved to AIG which gave me the same agreed upon policy. Neither asked where the car would be parked or how much I plan on driving it. Based on this conversation I'm tempted to ask my broker if there are restrictions I wasn't told about.
Old May 7th, 2015, 12:11 PM
MyD90
Chris
1997 Defender

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyD90 View Post
I had an agreed upon value policy for my 97 d90 with State Farm and just moved to AIG which gave me the same agreed upon policy. Neither asked where the car would be parked or how much I plan on driving it. Based on this conversation I'm tempted to ask my broker if there are restrictions I wasn't told about.
I confirmed that my stated value policy does not have any parking or mileage restrictions.
Old May 7th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Sounds like an excuse to build a bigger garage. Or rent a storage locker that a defender could fit in.

Old May 7th, 2015, 03:28 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdread View Post
Back to the PO's original Q- Is there anyone with an agreed or stated value insurance with their truck outside? USAA if you can qualify. Anyone, with Allstate? I hear they offer stated.
I use Allstate and they re-sold hagerty for my 90. I had to provide photos of it in the garage and it has a mileage limit. They did say I was allowed to use it for trails at rallies and stuff. And I checked the documents to be sure there wasn't anything hidden that would keep me from doing that.
Old May 8th, 2015, 09:39 AM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
I use Allstate and they re-sold hagerty for my 90. I had to provide photos of it in the garage and it has a mileage limit. They did say I was allowed to use it for trails at rallies and stuff. And I checked the documents to be sure there wasn't anything hidden that would keep me from doing that.

Interesting, I have a few other cars w/ Hagerty, but was given an unambiguous "NO" for the Rovers w/ regards to any off road activity incl. meets, rallys, etc.
..tolerant Wife...
Old May 8th, 2015, 09:47 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Yep. When I called hagerty directly, I was told about those restrictions, so that's why I called around a few other places to see about something else. When I called my allstate guy he was able to sell me the policy without the restrictions.
Old May 8th, 2015, 09:56 AM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
Yep. When I called hagerty directly, I was told about those restrictions, so that's why I called around a few other places to see about something else. When I called my allstate guy he was able to sell me the policy without the restrictions.

Thanks, may have to give them a call...assuming they write auto in Mass. Been meaning to poke at our overall insurance coverage anyway, good to do that every few years.
..tolerant Wife...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
insurance