Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 19th, 2006, 01:41 PM
geneseemtn
shane
curently without rover

Coil sprung series vehicle w/ diesel engine

Coil sprung series vehicle w/ diesel engine:
If anyone has one, please post pics, details & how it performs. I'd like to investigate the possibilities of this type of vehicle.

Thanks,

Shane...

97 RED D-90 (SW) 60k miles FOR SALE
97.5 H1 Built Up Rig Never to be sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneseemtn
Coil sprung series vehicle w/ diesel engine:
If anyone has one, please post pics, details & how it performs. I'd like to investigate the possibilities of this type of vehicle.

Thanks,

Shane...

97 RED D-90 (SW) 60k miles FOR SALE
97.5 H1 Built Up Rig Never to be sold
Hey,

Are you looking for a Series III with a conversion to Coils? If my memory serves me right, there were VERY few Series with coils. I heard a rumor that they made a few for prototypes, but not many. Could just be a myth. If it is a conversion you are after, I think it would depend on the quality of the conversion. Maybe you are looking for early 90's?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 19th, 2006, 02:52 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If you want to wait a few months, I am building one. 88 with a coil chassis and a perkins prima diesel.. I will be taking tons of pics and post them for the series guys and other Rover wrench turners to look at..
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2006, 06:59 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Not a diesel - but there was a guy from New England at MAR in 2004 with a 109 SW that he had put one of the Marsland coil conversion chassis under - all SIIA running gear and body but Range Rover axles and springs - very, very nice - he said he liked the simple 4 cylinder running gear but the improved coil sprung ride and real brakes. With the standard steel wheels the tires (barely) stayed under the stock fenders - it was cool.
Old February 19th, 2006, 09:52 PM
geneseemtn
shane
curently without rover

Any other choices for changing over from leaf springs to coil springs besides Marsland (or swapping the frame?)
Old February 19th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Any other choices for changing over from leaf springs to coil springs besides Marsland (or swapping the frame?)
Yes,
But can you tell us what you want to do? What is it going to be used for? What vehicle are you looking at? Any more details will help us.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old February 20th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Hillbilly Raider
MANDY STRINGER
Tombraider90

Why do you want to change to coils?
I have a LEAFY series and a coily Tombraider
guess which one is more FUN OFFROAD!?

Old February 20th, 2006, 12:46 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Coils under a Series makes for a much nicer ride. Leafs are great but coils are nicer. Along with the coils, you get disc brakes. Sweet. Very sweet indeed. But you need to change out the master cyclinder.

Going the diesel route (Rover 2.5L) is a good thing but, if you want to achieve street speeds, you'll want to go with a Rover 5-speed + transfer case (LT77 + LT230). These all mate up nicely to the coils and offer a viable driving solution. You'll feel the hills but you'll get mid-twenties fuel economy and be able to do 70 mph on the highway. The one drawback to this configuration is that you'll wand / need to extend the wheelbase slightly so that everthing fits. This means unwelding the current outriggers and welding in new ones.

More questions?
Old February 20th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by smenzel
Coils under a Series makes for a much nicer ride. Leafs are great but coils are nicer. Along with the coils, you get disc brakes. Sweet. Very sweet indeed. But you need to change out the master cyclinder.

Going the diesel route (Rover 2.5L) is a good thing but, if you want to achieve street speeds, you'll want to go with a Rover 5-speed + transfer case (LT77 + LT230). These all mate up nicely to the coils and offer a viable driving solution. You'll feel the hills but you'll get mid-twenties fuel economy and be able to do 70 mph on the highway. The one drawback to this configuration is that you'll wand / need to extend the wheelbase slightly so that everthing fits. This means unwelding the current outriggers and welding in new ones.

More questions?
Surf over to eastcoastrover.com and check their series conversions. The Newer Trnasmissions and t-case will involve some fabrication to the bulkhead to get to fit.

Why not just keep it a series truck? Leafs and everything else. You start throwing coils, disc brakes and everything else under it and you could buy a nice defender for the price.

EwS
Old February 21st, 2006, 06:22 AM
Hillbilly Raider
MANDY STRINGER
Tombraider90

I still have my leafys AND i have disc brakes AND a disc handbrake!!! AND a 5 speed box!
but i DONT have power steering so the ride is still a series ride but with a little more grunt and a little more comfort.
I go any where a 90 can.... maybe further.
Over here (England) we have a saying its not what youve got its how you drive it!

Old February 21st, 2006, 06:36 AM
SeaRover
isaac fain

i met and wheeled a bit with a fella that had a hybrid 109/110 on coils. it performed like any other coil based truck I've seen. His had a GM straight six in it using a marks adapter, and IIRC an LT77/LT230 rounding out the drivetrain. On rangie 3 spoke alloys and a brush on, drab green paint job it looked really cool

i know another fella that converted an 88" to coils. seems like a lot of work to get from a to b. I think the 100" disco/rangie chassis with a series or defender body makes more sense.
Old February 21st, 2006, 07:29 AM
Hillbilly Raider
MANDY STRINGER
Tombraider90

My MATE RUNS A 40YEAR OLDo SERIES 2A beats the pants off coilers in competition go to :
www.ttrovers.com
and you will see a serious series!!!!

Old February 21st, 2006, 01:46 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Unfortunately, cost isn't the only factor when considering Series vs Defender. In some states, it's prohibitively difficult to convert a Defender to diesel (and get it registered) making the Series converstion to coil + diesel + LT77/LT230 a more appealing solution.
Old February 21st, 2006, 01:52 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly Raider
I still have my leafys AND i have disc brakes AND a disc handbrake!!! AND a 5 speed box!
but i DONT have power steering so the ride is still a series ride but with a little more grunt and a little more comfort.
I go any where a 90 can.... maybe further.
Over here (England) we have a saying its not what youve got its how you drive it!

http://ttrovers.fotopic.net/p10112659.html

Now thats driving!
Old February 21st, 2006, 06:08 PM
Hillbilly Raider
MANDY STRINGER
Tombraider90

Told you it was good!

Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:37 AM
geneseemtn
shane
curently without rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Yes,
But can you tell us what you want to do? What is it going to be used for? What vehicle are you looking at? Any more details will help us.
Ideal use is a an off-road vehicle & an around town transportation. Biodiesel is a good thing & disc brakes, coil springs, and 70mph are things I'd rather not go without. It would be a conversion project - just looking for the best options out there for diesel engine/powertrain and suspension upgrades to a series.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:54 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Ideal use is a an off-road vehicle & an around town transportation. Biodiesel is a good thing & disc brakes, coil springs, and 70mph are things I'd rather not go without. It would be a conversion project - just looking for the best options out there for diesel engine/powertrain and suspension upgrades to a series.
Okay, cool.

To get to 70 and stay there you have to go 300Tdi or 2.8, maybe 200Tdi or something larger. The early 2.5s that you would find in a series just doesn't make it. Yes, you might be able to hit 70 by folding in the mirrors and catching a down breeze but thats about it. It is a very simple conversion though.

The cheapest way to go with the suspension is Parabolic springs. They are a good solution, but lets face it. While leafs can be made to run extremely well, coils are just plain better (sorry leaf guys, but you know it's true). Doing the swap, there are some options.

Basically, to get what you want, you are faced with either swapping frames and axles, or swapping axles and fabricating the links and Coil buckets. The latter is what I would do because welding is fun, but it depends on how much time you have to burn. Is a d-90 looking good yet??

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old February 22nd, 2006, 04:04 AM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

I'd agree with what David said.

If you're serious about 70, then a turbo-charged engine is the way to go. Keep in mind they'll be more expensive than the 2.5L -- both to purchase and install.

One other thing to keep in mind is that none of these engines were ever officially imported into the US. Parts are readily available in England but you have to deal with the shipping cost + delay. I spent a small fortune on shipping for my starter. Last week it decided to stop working (it goes 'whir'). Yes, it's under warranty but the cost of shipping is more then sending the unit to a rebuild shop.

Driving 70 in the 2.5L isn't quite as bad a David makes it out. Now the hills -- they're an exercise in patience. I never knew just how many hills there are around here.

As for biodiesel, there's little to no information about running it in Land Rover engines. Be sure to get new, modern rubber and you should be ok. When you get your injector pump rebuilt, be sure to use Viton seals. I've run b99 for 2500 of the 3k miles I have on my engine. In a year or six when it's finally broken in, I'll have better information.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 04:14 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Im just doing it cause I have all the parts lying around exept for the chassis which the truck needed anyway. So it was a few bucks more... THe one im doing is basically going to be the 2 series trucks sitting in my back yard into one good truck with a coil suspension. Cant wait to start it..
Old February 26th, 2006, 09:52 PM
geneseemtn
shane
curently without rover

Is there a source to order/get a new or rebuilt 300 TDI or TD5 engine? Any preference between the two?
I'm assuming the fabrication & wiring harness issues to retrofit into a series is about the same.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
coil, diesel, engine, series