Clipped Someone-Any Bodyshop? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 16th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Clipped Someone-Any Bodyshop?

I stupidly clipped a Jeep this past week in a tight parking lot. I am having it appraised this week. I will try to post a picture today but it is the right rear corner- pretty messed up.

My Question is: When it is appraised, do I have any shop up here do it (which may or may not have ever worked on a land rover. They almost definitely have never seen a 90) Or do I take it to a place in Denver that I know will know what to do with it. It is signifcantly more hassle to get it to Denver, BUT is it worth the extra hassle. Will any shop know how to fix the aluminum the right way?

I have heard that SVE Autobody in Broomfield is the way to go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

SVE is very good, as is Johns in Denver. I would take it to either place if it's not too much hassle. I'll actually be going down weekend after next, coming back up Sunday.
Old April 16th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I am sort of thinking the same thing. Might as well have it done right the first time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010027.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	5465   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010029.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	5466  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I second SVE--that is not an easy corner to be done right since you may well have damaged the roll cage that is in that corner--they will at least have to take it off, and that is not so easy as the bolts are usually frozen and very hard to get to. SVE does a LOT of work on rovers and they do it well.
Old April 16th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I talked to my insurance company today (Progressive) and neither of those two shops are on their list.

Can I still have the work done there (SVE probably)????

Do you think that the insurance company would allow it, or is it more my decision than theirs? I am going to speak with them again tomorrow.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old April 16th, 2006, 08:09 PM
d901560
Brian B
94 ST

I have Progressive and we had to get my wife's Volvo repaired a couple of years ago. My understanding is that you have the final say where the car is repaired, but if their cost is more than what the adjuster estimates, you may have to do some negotiating. This is probably a freak incident, but when we took our car to one of Progressive's "recommeded" body shops, they caught the back seat on fire when welding on a quarter panel. The repair that was supposed to have taken less than a week took more than a month because they replaced the interior from the front seats back with new parts that had to come from Sweeden.
Old April 16th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST

That is the good thing about insurance. They carefully source the "Best" shops in town. Nice to see that they might have gotten burned by their recommended shop
Old April 16th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger
I talked to my insurance company today (Progressive) and neither of those two shops are on their list.

Can I still have the work done there (SVE probably)????

Do you think that the insurance company would allow it, or is it more my decision than theirs? I am going to speak with them again tomorrow.

Thanks,

Jeff
You can take it to any body shop you want. The nice thing about the approved ones is that you can just drop your car off and the insurance will accept whatever the bodyshop does. If the shop is not approved, you have to make an appointment with an insurance appraiser to get a quote, and then take it to the shop you want to go to. If the shop you go to is a lot more expensive than the quote the insurance company themselves made, then they kick dust at eachother. Its just easier to go with thier shop, but really it IS your choice.

Now on to the accident, were you driving around the parking lot in reverse at 30 mph?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 17th, 2006, 09:01 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Buy a new tub--have it painted, sell old tub.

Probably be about the same amount of dollars and no fricken bondo in the tub which will forever after look like crap. Or just bent it back and throw in a few extra rivets to hold and call it a character mark.

Ron
Old April 17th, 2006, 09:26 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I agree with Ron - its way easy to pull the tub, much easier even than stripping off the fenders. Repairing the tub would look like ass with the body work.
Old April 17th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Bang it back into rough shape and diamond plate it. Worked for me. You're only gonna catch that corner offroading in the future.
Old April 17th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

There is of course, a better way....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sawzall.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	5488  

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 17th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

If it is covered, get it fixed right. That means replacement as the cap, once bent, is going to rust and it needs to be replaced. They need to replace all that capping that runs down the quarter panel and once removed can repair and slighly bondo the aluminum. I made my rover from used parts and did a lot of aluminum body work and I would only trust SVE and a couple other places to do it. IF you can, take the money, do it yourself.
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:47 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You can also just remove the skin and put a new one on. You need a drill, patience and a brain... Maybe I will do a writeup when I do my 88 tub in a few weeks to show you guys. THere are some tricks to make it look stock too.....

I will then be a legend in my own mind..
Old April 19th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Thanks for all the replies.

Where would I get a new tub and what is the price on those things? RDS or RN I assume?

Also,

Could I get any $ for my old tub? Is there any market for a banged up tub?
Old April 20th, 2006, 09:29 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Yes, $500 or so for the used tub, a new one is ~2000. Check RN and various dealers. LR Frisco is usually good. Also RDS though it will not be an NAS tub.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 03:39 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I just removed the skin on my 88 tub. this is not a bad job. I might do a writeup for Chris on how to do this job... I had the side and rear corner skin off in about 1 hour. I will post pics also. IF you lived near me, I would do the work for you.

lol
Old April 24th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I was in Morristown NJ the past 2 years! Well, I am going to have the work done this week at this place called SVE in Denver. Maybe they will recommend replacing the skins?

Are they readily available? Rovers North?

Also, the wheel arch has a chunck out of it. Is a new wheelarch hard to find? I am guessing that this shop knows where to source DEfender parts, but I am still a little worried about them being able to find the needed parts.

Thanks for offer though!
Old April 24th, 2006, 10:22 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Jeff, RDS has them in stock..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
body