Classic range rover - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 21st, 2014, 10:50 PM
phunter
phunter
1993 NAS 110

Classic range rover

I am in need of a new daily driver and need ground clearance along with 4 wheel drive. My memories of the classic I had from 97 to 2001 led me to check them out on auto trader.

There appear to be some out there in the 10 to 15k price range that are supposedly rust free. They are located in birmingham. RMR4x4 and adventuremotorcars have the auto trader classic rr market right now.

Is it feasible to depend on a classic as a go to truck? My commute is 12 miles each way. I have to get there and be on time. I have a job that requires me to be there quickly quite often.

Are there many parts that are no longer available? One never knows when a deer is going to get you. Body panels, glass still available or should classics be considered tough to fix if in an accident?

Any comments on these classics that are out there currently?

Any and all thoughts are welcomed. Am I living in the past?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2014, 10:59 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

I love the old RRC's!!! Here is the deal if you have the time to learn about them, wrench on your own and are self reliant then they can be great vehicles. If you rely on a mechanic to fix your problems then you might want to avoid them. I have had several older trucks as dd's and never left me stranded. Best of luck, if you get one the best thing to do is get a full manual, it will have everything you will need. Good luck FYI 10-15k is crazy, I have sold several in the 5-7 range that I wouldn't hesitate to put my family in any day of the week. FYI parts are readily available you just need to find them
Old June 21st, 2014, 11:17 PM
phunter
phunter
1993 NAS 110

Thanks for your reply. I am rookie wrencher but I do know a few shade tree mechanics
that usually can keep my older cars in sync. Since I've always had a four wheel drive that was relatively new, I am a little afraid of calling my daily a 20 year plus truck.

Hopefully, nla parts aren't an issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 21st, 2014, 11:28 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunter View Post
Thanks for your reply. I am rookie wrencher but I do know a few shade tree mechanics that usually can keep my older cars in sync. Since I've always had a four wheel drive that was relatively new, I am a little afraid of calling my daily a 20 year plus truck. Hopefully, nla parts aren't an issue
most parts float between d1 and RRC, NLA are most cosmetic stuff like speaker grills and unique to vehicle parts, I started by paying shops to diagnose and then I would do the work myself. After a while you learn, and start to know the vehicle and what it wants. Kinda like a good woman that is worth keeping!!!
Old June 21st, 2014, 11:32 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Is it feasible to depend on a classic as a go to truck? My commute is 12 miles each way. I have to get there and be on time. I have a job that requires me to be there quickly quite often.
Do you really want to rely on a 20 year old vehicle to get somewhere on time on a regular basis? What's wrong with your 110?
Old June 22nd, 2014, 12:09 AM
phunter
phunter
1993 NAS 110

Classic range rover

my 110 has never let me down but it is used during warmer months as an occasional. I am crazy like that. I do not want it to get salty. I hear from plenty of family that I am saving it for the next guy.

Sounds like a gamble to rely on a classic. How much of a gamble as compared to a used 4wd that is newer???
Old June 22nd, 2014, 04:04 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
My commute is 12 miles each way. I have to get there and be on time. I have a job that requires me to be there
Toyota Tacoma, Ford F150, Toyota Tundra, 4Runner, all excellent choices.

Then again getting fired and living on the streets is always an alternative.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 06:45 AM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
my 110 has never let me down but it is used during warmer months as an occasional. I am crazy like that. I do not want it to get salty. I hear from plenty of family that I am saving it for the next guy.

Sounds like a gamble to rely on a classic. How much of a gamble as compared to a used 4wd that is newer???
So you want to buy a 20 year old RUST FREE RRC to get salty? That makes my soul hurt.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old June 22nd, 2014, 07:21 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I'm in the you got a 110 to satisfy your urges. Pick up a something bulletproof as a daily driver.
Don't think the RRC would work.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 10:02 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Subaru
Old June 22nd, 2014, 02:20 PM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
I picked up a pristine D2 (thanks Gustavo) which suits the same purpose you're looking for. Couldn't be happier with my decision. For 10-15k you could pick up a pretty nice LR3. If you're set on a Classic consider looking elsewhere as RMR's trucks, although nice, are marked up considerably IMO

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
classic, range rover