Classic Overland - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 23rd, 2016, 10:27 PM
ClassicOverland
Stebin Horne
Defender 110

Classic Overland

Excited to be apart of the Defender Source. We are a small private shop down in Georgia focused on bringing in overland vehicles to the USA. Learn more at Classic Overland – Outfitted for Adventure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2016, 11:22 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Welcome Stebin....Cool website. I think many might find this of concern

DO YOU OFFER A WARRANTY ON THE VEHICLES YOU SALE?

No, Classic Overland does not offer any warranty of any kind on the vehicles we sell. However, we work very hard at restoring these timeless classics and getting them in excellent working order both aesthetically and mechanically.

How is it you dont stand behind the trucks you build? Might want to read the recent post about how one builder just flew a tech overseas to spend 2 1/2 days here just addressing water ingress.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=3742
Old January 23rd, 2016, 11:32 PM
ClassicOverland
Stebin Horne
Defender 110

Thanks John, I read that link and agree with you on the importance of customer service. Furthermore let me say we absolutely stand behind our product but offering a "warranty" on said product from a legal stand point is all together different. If it wasn't then every states statutes on "used vehicles being sold defacto AS IS" would be meritless.

All of this to say is I understand the point you are making and I appreciate any future advice or suggestions you may have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2016, 08:13 AM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicOverland View Post
Furthermore let me say we absolutely stand behind our product but offering a "warranty" on said product from a legal stand point is all together different. If it wasn't then every states statutes on "used vehicles being sold defacto AS IS" would be meritless.
without a written warranty, you are indeed selling AS-IS, no matter what your customer service policy says. imo, that's gonna be a tough sell when others actually provide a warranty

Quote:
All of this to say is I understand the point you are making and I appreciate any future advice or suggestions you may have.
offer a warranty, pretty easy to specifically carve out what it does and doesn't cover

----

great site btw, i for one want to see you be successful

best wishes in your new venture
Old January 24th, 2016, 09:25 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Welcome Stebin. Nice looking vehicles, one small point just wanted to make you aware of....you call out the "Cape Buffalo" build as a "Defender 130" in the descriptive text (the title is correct, but not the body/description):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Overland
CAPE BUFFALO
$75,000
1988 LAND ROVER 110 DOUBLE CAB V8
If there was ever a vehicle that had it all it is the versatile Defender 130. A spacious crew cab interior with the utility of a truck bed. This rare vehicle turns heads everywhere it goes.
The vehicle pictured is not a 127/130, as it has to do with overall wheelbase is what would make it a 130. You just may want to correct that verbiage to avoid any confusion with your potential customers (or head scratching by the enthusiasts : ).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 24th, 2016, 09:25 AM
ClassicOverland
Stebin Horne
Defender 110

Definitely plan to explore further, we were strictly instructed to not offer a warranty and to go so far as to make it apart of the information we displayed on our website. Maybe that was poor advice.

I think when you offer a vehicle for sale on a 25 year old and you charge $100,000+ for it like Arknoik (amzing company IMO) then you better provide a warranty.

I would very much appreciate feedback on the type of Limited Warranty you believe people would be inclined to accept.

Thanks again for the well wishes

------ Follow up post added January 24th, 2016 09:33 AM ------

Jason, I agree and the requested change has been made. As you can see the Subject line is accurate. I think our web developer got confused when he saw the truck bed and related it to the 130 we have in our inventory in Africa.

Should be changed shortly.

Thanks.
Old January 24th, 2016, 10:11 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:

Jason, I agree and the requested change has been made. As you can see the Subject line is accurate. I think our web developer got confused when he saw the truck bed and related it to the 130 we have in our inventory in Africa.

Thanks.
Stebin:

Sounds good, and hopefully you don't think I was being over nit-picky , just wanted to make sure you had everything dialed in correctly on your ad.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 24th, 2016, 10:19 AM
ClassicOverland
Stebin Horne
Defender 110

Absolutely, we welcome all advice and support from the experts and enthusiasts in this community. We want to absorb and learn everyday in our business and we appreciate everyone willing to help us be successful.
Old January 24th, 2016, 10:23 AM
JQ11
JQ
97 Black ST - SOLD

Registry
Any plans to do LHD ones - RHD is a no go from the start for many people so would open up your buyer pool significantly.
Old January 24th, 2016, 11:05 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Definitely plan to explore further, we were strictly instructed to not offer a warranty and to go so far as to make it apart of the information we displayed on our website. Maybe that was poor advice.

I think when you offer a vehicle for sale on a 25 year old and you charge $100,000+ for it like Arknoik (amzing company IMO) then you better provide a warranty.

I would very much appreciate feedback on the type of Limited Warranty you believe people would be inclined to accept.

Thanks again for the well wishes

Thanks.
Who advised you to not offer a warranty? You will find this board littered with threads about shops/restorations that were sub par from disgruntled customers. The timing for that language is particularly poor considering what you just read re Arkonik etc.
Personally if i was a new shop trying to establish itself I would be offering a 100% satisfaction guarantee but instead you've used very strong language to the contrary. Lawyers can do a very good job of minimizing your liability while at the same time alienating your potential customers.
Old January 24th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Thanks John, I read that link and agree with you on the importance of customer service. Furthermore let me say we absolutely stand behind our product but offering a "warranty" on said product from a legal stand point is all together different. If it wasn't then every states statutes on "used vehicles being sold defacto AS IS" would be meritless.

Hey Welcome,

So when a vehicle is sold by you , are you acting as a dealer or do you sub the paperwork to a dealer?

We STAND BEHIND OUR PRODUCT and AS IS / WHERE IS do not go together in the same paragraph

If you are acting as a Dealer, a complete set of rules and expectations apply, to start with a Federal Buyer's Guide displayed on the Vehicle for sale ( I know know.. no one likes to put those things on the vehicle ) to avoid implicit , here say and all potential nightmares

Once again, Welcome to a nice PITA Community
Old January 24th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Welcome Stebin. Nice looking vehicles, one small point just wanted to make you aware of....you call out the "Cape Buffalo" build as a "Defender 130" in the descriptive text (the title is correct, but not the body/description):

The vehicle pictured is not a 127/130, as it has to do with overall wheelbase is what would make it a 130. You just may want to correct that verbiage to avoid any confusion with your potential customers (or head scratching by the enthusiasts : ).
Yep - its a 110 double cab...probably illegal to import as they didn't come out until 90's
Old January 24th, 2016, 12:40 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
From what I've seen, at least here in Oregon, the difference between AS IS and with WARRANTY is pretty significant. I think he is correct to not offer a warranty, but to "stand behind" their work. Only time will tell if that is true, but at least it really is up to the business to prove it, not some bureaucracy to force towing, recovery, normal wear maintenance, tire repair, etc... which are all included in a non-AS IS sale. And if you don't state AS IS, the warranty is implied.

However, the AS IS should be stated at point of sale, or in the communications with the buyer. Putting it on the web site while advertising that you stand next to your product could be confusing.

AS IS is a legal term, it has nothing to do with quality.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old January 24th, 2016, 02:14 PM
REDrum
Niall Johnson
1970 Series IIA 88 - Sandstone

Registry
Quote:
...when you offer a vehicle for sale on a 25 year old and you charge $100,000+ for it
That is the crux of it all. Its a tough way to make a living.

Will be interested to learn about future dark continent treks

'99 UZJ 100 - for glamping and grocery getting
'94 FZJ80 - our Costa Rican coffee mule
'96 FZJ80 - 3XL, racked, shaved and dipped in Raptor coat
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - a Costa Rican expat now with US citizenship!
'70 Petrol SIIA 88 - for Central America surf & coffee exploration
'56 Petrol S1 86 - a whole new kind of land rover hell...
Old January 24th, 2016, 07:14 PM
ClassicOverland
Stebin Horne
Defender 110

Great dialogue guys. I think everyone here is making relevant points. RBBailey hit the nail on the head. Our company will certainly go to whatever lengths necessary to satisfy our clients but the language imposed on documents to sell used vehicles in Georgia is crystal clear. Thanks again for everyones thoughts.
Old January 24th, 2016, 07:53 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
outside the box idea

determine if a warranty is necessary for your business model

if so, create two companies

one imports, registers and titles and sells vehicles as-is to your customers

customer uses second company for restoration work, for which you can provide a warranty as a service shop and not a georgia auto dealer

if a warranty is a critical ingredient to success, creatively figure out how to provide it

good luck
Old January 26th, 2016, 12:28 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post

Looks like it still says 130 on CL

Land Rover Defender 130

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
classic