Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 8th, 2017, 11:01 AM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
Classic 'glass boats

Hi All,

I am a newbie to boats. My Better Half is from a boating family (probably 10+ Whalers in the clan) and wanted a boat, but I just didn't have enough interest in anything outside of a classic woodie (which I am too smart to own until I retire...same w/ a sailboat). Then came the lake house; did my research and we now have a used, low hours small Chaparral and a wonderful little boat for family puttering, tubing, etc.

Long story short is I am looking for something older w/ some character, but fiberglass. Thinking something from the 60's-mid 70's preferably with an outboard; Glasspar, Fabuglass, etc.

I am guessing that there is probably a lot of experience on this board and I welcome opinions.

One observation; real nice used boats and parts are no where near as expensive as I'd expected...maybe I've been numbed by niche cars over the years....

Thank you all and to those in storms' way, be safe.
..tolerant Wife...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2017, 12:13 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Glastron boats were pretty good back in the 1960's.
website detailing the boats of the mid-century period: http://fiberglassics.com/

There are some really neat small aluminum speedboats that date from the 1950's that match up with an old Land Rover spectacularly well. Feathercraft boats are really cool.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/b...284338744.html

and the open bow fiberglass boats are very usable like this one

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/b...281183636.html

Old September 8th, 2017, 12:43 PM
FlyersFan76
Chris
1987 110 Convertible

Registry
Just a quick question. Why wait until you retire for the woodie. My dad is more of a DIY home guy with as many power tools as I have but he steers away from all mechanical issues with his wooden boat. His boat mechanicing days are over. Had a couple issues early on but we took a couple drives down to Maryland for them to be corrected. One issue I thought we could have fixed and he wanted to leave it up to the mechanic just to be sure. Probably a good idea since it was throttle cable.

And you are probably located around a large amount of wooden boat mechanics and ones for sale.

Just curious. But that Gator in the first picture is awesome.

On a sepearte sort of related topic. If anyone is out near the hamptons and is into boats this guy that has a large outboard motor. Dave Bofill Marine - Chris Craft Boats for Sale - Long Island

1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #1701- Wrecked
1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #?- Sold
2000 AM General Hummer- Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2017, 01:04 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
limited experience with powerboats but I can tell you that with sailboats older and fiberglass is usually a bad equation. Even if they look good above board they often suffer from soft or wet cores and other issues that can eventually lead to costly repairs and paintwork.

Even if dry docked or trailered UV damage and rain water ingress can lead to some pretty soft areas on a boat.

Maybe one that had been hacked up and recored would be a solid shot but again, only limited sailboat experience here
Old September 8th, 2017, 01:34 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Hm well, for all around utility it's hard to beat your standard-issue 16 foot jon boat. If you plan to pull tubes and skiers look for a late 80s SkiNautique. They have a very simple Ford 302 and straight propeller drive. Not good for weeds or shallows tho....
Going just a tad larger an aluminum Starcraft 18 can do it all and you can hang a 150 hp outboard on it. It has all the sex appeal of a beer can. Very Land Rover. Vee hull, comfortable in the chop and planes easily.
Avoid the following:
Cored construction, soft decks, engine stringers that are not completely covered in fiberglass roving, saturated transom wood, anything with an OMC drive. I would steer you away from inboard/outboard drive. On small boats its super complicated, heavy and the engine takes up a third of the room.
If your needs are for a fishing, skiing, going over to the neighbor's place, hauling six adults, or rescuing flood victims boat then you want a center console in the 17-20 range. Look for Mako, Whaler, Carolina Skiff, McKee, and Sea Fox.
Outboards...only buy Evinrude or Mercury marine.
Wooden classics, well, the smart money buys Skiff-Craft, Larson, Chris Craft.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old September 8th, 2017, 01:50 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW View Post
Glastron boats were pretty good back in the 1960's.
website detailing the boats of the mid-century period: FiberGlassics® - Home

There are some really neat small aluminum speedboats that date from the 1950's that match up with an old Land Rover spectacularly well. Feathercraft boats are really cool.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/b...284338744.html

and the open bow fiberglass boats are very usable like this one

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/b...281183636.html

Not a boat guy but that aluminum boat is cool!
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old September 8th, 2017, 01:53 PM
FlyersFan76
Chris
1987 110 Convertible

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Hm well, for all around utility it's hard to beat your standard-issue 16 foot jon boat. If you plan to pull tubes and skiers look for a late 80s SkiNautique. They have a very simple Ford 302 and straight propeller drive. Not good for weeds or shallows tho....
Going just a tad larger an aluminum Starcraft 18 can do it all and you can hang a 150 hp outboard on it. It has all the sex appeal of a beer can. Very Land Rover. Vee hull, comfortable in the chop and planes easily.
Avoid the following:
Cored construction, soft decks, engine stringers that are not completely covered in fiberglass roving, saturated transom wood, anything with an OMC drive. I would steer you away from inboard/outboard drive. On small boats its super complicated, heavy and the engine takes up a third of the room.
If your needs are for a fishing, skiing, going over to the neighbor's place, hauling six adults, or rescuing flood victims boat then you want a center console in the 17-20 range. Look for Mako, Whaler, Carolina Skiff, McKee, and Sea Fox.
Outboards...only buy Evinrude or Mercury marine.
Wooden classics, well, the smart money buys Skiff-Craft, Larson, Chris Craft.

These things are built to last. Can fill the entire boat with water up to about 1' below the sides and the things is till floating. Got a tour through the factory and it was impressive. We had a second generation SportNautique which shared the similar hull of the SkiNautiques. Pulled it behind my D90 a bunch of times with no issue.

1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #1701- Wrecked
1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #?- Sold
2000 AM General Hummer- Sold
Old September 8th, 2017, 07:03 PM
Rommel
Rolf
94/95/97 Many

Fiberglass Hull

On old/older glass hulls three words to always keep in mind
Floor
Core
Transom
Although they are fiberglass they usually are constructed with wood you can't see,
kinda like Defenders that look great but have rotted frames.
Do your homework .Good luck .
Hello my name is Rolf and I have a boat problem😊
Old September 8th, 2017, 09:12 PM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
This is a great board. Thanks for the advice, especially the points about cores and transom. Great boats, that aluminum one is fantastic.

There is a beautiful old Ski Nautique on the local pond as well as a couple newer wood look glass boats, but those are a bit dear I'm sure. Our pond has some shallow and weedy areas so I have to keep that in mind.

I'll keep looking and report back. We're having a great time w/ this little Chaparral...pretty much all you could ask for in a small boat...did my homework, but was kind of lucky w/ its condition and price.

Now if I could just get over this need for 'character'...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2186.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	294249  
..tolerant Wife...
Old September 8th, 2017, 11:22 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I'm going to suggest you go a different rout. Instead of the usual bowrider/runabout you look for a DownEast style commercial fishing boat. I had an 18ft Aquasport and every time I took the kids out tubing or whatever I never had enough room for all the "stuff". So I found an old 24 foot mullet boat and redid it. When I first saw it I knew it had great bones. Here is the finished product.

How I found it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0277.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	294265  
Old September 8th, 2017, 11:29 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
And what it looks like now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0958.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	294273   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0592.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	294281  

Name:	IMG_0845.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	294289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0943.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	294297  

Old September 8th, 2017, 11:40 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Here are some examples of what you would look for up there. They are truly a classical look and when I pass a real commercial fisherman they will usually give me a nod. Which is yuge because if you are in a "pleasure craft" they pretend you don't exist. The boats are designed to be stable and carry a shit tone of weight safely in the worst seas. So more than adequate for family duty plus the in-laws will give respect if they are a Whaler family and know boats.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	digi54921057_l.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	294305   Click image for larger version

Name:	BH 2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	294313  

Name:	eastern24CClg.jpg
Size:	343.9 KB
ID:	294321   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0948.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	294329  

Old September 9th, 2017, 05:02 AM
vtlandrover
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap

Wayne - I'm in agreement with Raub. Be patient with me as I share my maritime history over the past couple of decades:

Started with a Grady White 180 to fish the islands in Boston Harbor. Unable to find any mooring, it lived on a trailer and was towed behind a '95 NAS 90. It was ALL THERE. Beginning with a heavy hull and adding livewell water weight, etc. brought it close to the Defender's towing capacity. Throw in a little 95/128 shenanigans, on a surge braked trailer, and the short wheelbase - it meant unease on the highway. On the water, it was impeccable.

Moved back to VT. Bought a Montauk. Same design as their current hull. Loved it. Easily towed, zero maintenance, super safe. Fished the mouth of the Merrimack and aside from white knuckles (swells in the several feet range), it was wonderful. Shallow draft. Not the most comfortable for my family, though. The kids bounced around in any chop.

Answered my wife's request and bought a Chaparral 230. About as plush as could be. Top speed was... about 2x the Whaler. Perfect for getting quickly to your destination and sitting. Anyone that knows me understands why the appeal was lost on me...

Now I have what I really want: a Seaway 18. Downeast style hull; exceedingly comfortable ride chop or not; 10" draft; long keel to safely beach it; and character, character, character. Tows behind my 200tdi with ease. It's a fish whisperer. My family hates it because there's nowhere to stretch out to read a book.

And that's the rub. It's like Alexander Supertramp said: "happiness is only real when shared." The truth is, as much as I love the boat I have, some of the best times on the water were in the damned Chaparral when we weren't doing a thing. Other than being together.

Everyone's goal is different, so the hull shape, helm location, and seating arrangements may not be the same - but there's one constant that applies: only buy used.

Enjoy the hunt!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5666.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	294337  
Old September 9th, 2017, 07:48 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Nobody who likes boats has just one. You should also add a couple kayaks and canoes to your fleet. These small boats make getting on the water super easy and novices can use them without fear except for an unexpected dunk.
I can say that there is a tendency to want to buy bigger than you actually need.
All boats require more or less the same amount of maintenance. The bigger the boat, the longer (and more expensive) these chores take.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old September 9th, 2017, 08:15 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Wow Frank that is such an awesome combo! They belong together. A classic DownEast style boat is much like a Defender in so many ways and a Chaparral is, well, like a Plymouth minivan. Which do you want to be seen in? Sure a minivan is comfortable but no one is going to come up to you at the gas station/Home Depot/wherever and say "wow, that thing is cool!" followed by endless questions. Nope, no one gives a shit your kids are comfortable in the back of the ol' minivan, or there is 17 cup holders of 4 dropdown DVD players and dual zone AC. When you pull up to the stop light no one is going to roll now their window and give you a thumbs up and say "nice truck!"

When I wrecked my F150 crew cab 4X4 a few years ago I had to get a rental car and the only car they had left was a Plymouth minivan. Shoot me in the head! So off I go to the school carline to pick up my daughter who was in the 5th grade at the time. None of the hot mommies are checking me (the cool single dad) out like they do when I'm in the Rover. The cross walk guard doesn't wave to me, neither does the gym teacher who is usually on pickup line duty. No one cares. My daughter gets in and says "really dad, a MINIVAN!?! Where's the Rover?" "It's the only one they had and the Rover's in the shop now get in" I reply not in a good mood now. After a few minutes she makes a very sweet attempt at soothing my bruised and battered male ego and earnestly says "Hay dad, it really is very comfortable, and look at all these cup holders!" Even though the Rover is loud, smelly, squeaky and faded with lots of trail rash she would rather be in that as opposed to a very comfortable minivan. But she gets it.

When I fuel up my boat before heading out someone usually has to come up and want to know what it is, how it rides, yada, yada. I guess my point is you drive a Land Rover Defender for a reason and whether it's the capabilities, the uniqueness, the heritage or whatever, you drive a Defender on purpose.

As for family comfort, that can be addressed with marine bean bag chairs they are awesome. Here is a picture of my daughter in my not doing ta thing in th front of my boat. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0984.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	294345   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0986.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	294353  

Old September 9th, 2017, 08:45 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Classic and plastic just don't go together... (says the guy with 2 60s whalers )..

Get a woodie!

https://capecod.craigslist.org/boa/d...236526879.html
Attached Images

Old September 9th, 2017, 09:55 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Nice John! My dad bought a '68 13 foot Boston Whaler kidney crusher with a 25hp Johnson for me and my brother to grow up in. Ran the snot out of that ting and did more stupid shit in that thing that would have killed us in any other boat.
Old September 9th, 2017, 12:01 PM
uc4me
Kevin
1997 D90 Wagon

Registry
Frank that is one beauty of a set up..love your truck and will definitely look you up next time i roll up 89N to Vt. I can taste ski season in the air.

I've spent several years as a commercial fisherman off the shores of New England so there is bias in my love for certain boats..and Defenders,, and the form and function they provide. Fortunately (or unfortunately) i have more than one of each so a little pain is part of that equation too! I'd say determine where the pond (lake or sea) you want your boat to reside and choose a boat that works best for it. While i'm a novi type of sea-farin' guy my nephew recently came to town looking for a lake boat to buy for his place in NH. I had to overcome the notion that his taste for boats was not the same as mine, nor was the application which is the important part. For what its worth he choose a Centurion wakeboard boat for the NH lake he's on. Not my cup of tea but when he said he could get 5 or 6 girls in the thing..I was on board.

Here's one of my boats, a 1972 Aquasport 19.6. These things were built bomber proof. Thoughts go out to all you boys and girls in the path of Irma down there. Stay safe.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aquasport1.jpg
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	294409  
Old September 9th, 2017, 01:07 PM
vtlandrover
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap

Thanks for the compliments! I love 'em both and consider myself very fortunate to have them.

Love your boats - very salty and look damned comfortable.

Kevin -

Definitely shoot me a pm if/when you come up this way - both the Defender and the Seaway will be in storage in a few weeks... winter can come as early as late September.
Old September 9th, 2017, 01:52 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Nice boat Keven, I was looking for a early 70's Aquasport 22.2 when I found my suncoast 23 in a field with trees growing in it. I had a 17.5 at the time but needed more room when you start loading up 1/2 dozen kids, coolers, big tow tube thingys and bags of towels and crap that follow the kids. Anyway those old Aquadumps were strong like bull.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
classic, glass