Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 6th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Child Seat in SW jumpseat?

Hey all,

I'm going to be a dad in a few months, anyone put a child seat in the back of a '97 SW with jumpseats? Is this legal/safe? Has anyone done this? Or did you put the child seat in front and put the wife in the back!? :-)

I was thinking of replacing the jump seats with forward-facing fold-up seats. Has anyone done this? Any pics? My other thought was to perhaps make a child seat 'attachment' that bolts in the existing bolt locations of the jumpseats. Anyone do this? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2005, 02:18 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

First off, CONGRATS!!!! You lucky, lucky man. I am still waiting for the go-ahead from my Wife to have little ones of our own.

I wouldn't do it with the sideways seats. Child seats don't really have the proper support in them to keep a baby's head up in that orientation. Whenever you speed up or slow down, it will be moving their head sideways. The child seats aren't made to deal with that, as far as I am aware. I also don't know if the associated belts would work too well with a kiddie seat.

I'd strongly suggest the rear bench seat as the strongest and safest option. Front seats are generally regarded as a bad idea, though the reason escapes me at the moment.

-Hans

Follow-up Post:

Oh, and I just remembered a phrase (no idea from where, but I remembered the phrase), and I felt it was appropriate here.

"Never place the safety of others on a Maybe"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 6th, 2005, 06:56 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Typicaly the front seat is a no no due to airbags.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2005, 07:50 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
And based on some previous discussions about dogs, I think the roof rack is a no-go.
Old January 6th, 2005, 08:42 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
put the wife in the back and let the baby ride shotgun.
Old January 6th, 2005, 10:58 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

First - CONGRATS!

I think this was addressed recently and someone put a mastercraft in the rear to put kids seats in (I'm too lazy to search the threads and confirm) but there were issues with seat belt placements or something along those lines.. There are pics and all. I'll edit with the URL when I look.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=4097
Old January 6th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

The problem with mounting seatbelts in a SW (if you are using shoulder belts and not lap belts) is that there is no place on the part of the rollcage on each side of the rear door for mounting the seatblet reel, and no good place for the top mounting point of the seatbelt. I am guessing unless you wanted to take out your headliner to mount the top mounts and weld on some nuts to your interior rollcage, you would need to go with lap belts. I don't know how well lapbelts work with childseats.

Chris

Follow-up Post:

Also, the seatbelt reel will foul your rear speaker housings, which will have to be removed or replaced with ST seatbelt/speaker housings.

Chris
Old January 9th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Thanks all!
Old January 10th, 2005, 12:40 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

There are some threads on this. I asked these questions a few months ago. Yousef set up an excellent rear bench seat with 5 point harness for the kids. A rear side seat is 100% NOT OK for a kid. The list of potential injuries is to great.
Up front is the best place for the kid. D-90s do not have air bags, and with the roll cage, what could be better!
Now, 3 stages of development and seats for a child:
Infant - so your car seat is rear facing. You will need to check the car seat as so fit well, some do not. Be prepared to move the seat back around some.
Toddler - so your car seat faces forward and up to 40 lbs. Your kid will love it. My little girl prefers the D-90 'cause she is up front and can look out. One point - find a seat that has a tall base so it is easier for them to look out. Two words of warning, 1st the little one will not want to get out of the seat so the wife will be in the back. Second: All car seats should now have the top restraint belt. You should have a plate added to the floor just behind the seat with a d ring in it. Easy and cheap to do but with that in place your child seat is not going anywhere.
Booster - kids 40 lbs + and 40" tall + - My girl is in a booster, but not in the D-90. even with all the support, roll cage, ect, I want her locked in tight in the D-90. There is NO internal padding unlike my other car so I have not put in a booster. She is OK with that.
Any questions, email me.
Old January 10th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Paul,

Great info! Thanks. I'm almost sold on the Mastercraft setup Yousef has, but I'm not sure if the forward facing fold-up is good to use also. Any thoughts on this.

http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/extra%20seats.htm
Old January 11th, 2005, 09:35 AM
popeohana
Jeremy
94 Arles ST

Registry
I just bought a ST with side-facing seats and faced the same problem. So my daughter rides shotgun until I get the thing worked out. My solution was to buy a 90 bench seat from a fellow D-90 Source member. As stated above in this thread, there are some seat belt issues to work out with some models. My 94 does not have any of the brakcets to support the seatbelts. My solution to this is to install heavy duty folding marine padeyes behind the rear seat and use the LATCH(Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) system that came with my child seat to secure the seat, thus no need for the seat belts. I have ordered the padeyes and will post photos when complete. Good luck and congratulations.
Old January 11th, 2005, 01:10 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Will,
Maybe you can email Yousef. He has done some amazing things to his D-90 and is really safety minded. That probably goes 2x for his kids. I have been trying to buy a used rear bench seat for almost a year, but everyone seems to sell at $400 or more and still lacking seatbelts and attachments. Well done Jeremy for getting one. On that line, there is a thread on using JEEP rear seats in the D90
Your question on the forward facing fold up. Guess it depends on how you want to drive with the kids in the d90. Off roading, street use, light off road (mud n stuff). This is all personal feeling but my concern is forward and lateral motion. On street, it is the quick stop which child seats address. That means the seat the child seat is attached to need only stay in place. I know nothing about the forward facing folding seats but would want to look at how the support bar at the lowest part of the truck bed is attached. If just resting on the floor with no locking action I'd be concerned. As to off roading, lateral motion is my issue (I've done mud not rock with my daughter). The child seat has a 5 point belt and I add padding to the head areas. Again, as Jeremy mentioned, the LATCH system is key.
Will, as a side bar your link to exmoortrim had the trakkers fold up seat pictured. I have 2 of those but never knew what they were. Now I do. These go in as soon as the rain stops here in california. Oh, and that will be where my wife sits.
Old January 12th, 2005, 07:14 AM
popeohana
Jeremy
94 Arles ST

Registry
Paul,
I have the rear seat belts but no longer a use for them, was going to post them for sale but haven't found the time yet. If you find a seat w/o belts, I will sell you mine.
Jeremy
Old January 12th, 2005, 12:43 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am a Certified Child Saftey Seat Tech in NJ... No Joke. Do not put the seat sideways. You can break a childs neck that way. They have to be sitting in a forward facing seat no exeptions. A D-90 isint the best place for them but in the back in the bench seat would be the best.

If you are going to install the LATCH clips, they have to be bonded to something to the frame with a bracket not jsut to the rear body.
Old January 12th, 2005, 01:29 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Randy, as a Dad, I think this certification of yours is the best thing I have heard about.
There have been several threads on this topic - kids in the D90 over the years. Maybe you can help us all. I would love to see an article in the tech area on what to / not to do. Care to write one?
Old January 12th, 2005, 05:45 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If you call your local Police Dept, they sould have a tech available to show you or point you in the right direction to a tech. Also check here for some info.

www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/

Follow-up Post:

or go here to find a local tech. www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CPS/CPSFitting/Index.cfm
Old January 13th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Eric N
Eric N
98 Disco

Just a side note.. If you haven't thought about what type of child seat to get yet you may want to go and look at the Britax Roundabout.. One of the best car seats made and only around $220 or so at most places. Not the cheapest but, this isn't somewhere you want to be cheap anyways.. The lap belt without the shoulder belt will work just fine with the seat. The non-latch version comes with a tie down strap for the top of the seat that you can loop around the seat frame ( front or rear ) depending which way the car seat is facing ( front facing or rear facing ).. As most have said DO NOT USE THE SIDE WAYS FACING JUMP SEATS.... Bad, bad, bad, idea... Front seat ( no airbags ) or rear forward facing seat is best. I have a Disco, however, I have my child seat in the center of the rear seat using the middle lap belt and then ran the tie down strap over and behind the seat and attached it to the rear seat frame since my little girl is now forward facing. When she was rear facing I used the lap belt and had the tie down strap attached to the frame of at the front of the rear seat.. You could attach it to the front passanger seat I believe. The child seat got the thumbs up from 3 cops, 2 firemen, and a seat checker. You may need to roll up a towel and place it under the car seat though depending on the incline of your seats... I have to do that to fill the gap where the bottom pad meets the top pad. Again thats on my Disco though.. Though I don't think that it would be too much different on the forward facing rear 90 seat using a lap belt.
Old January 20th, 2005, 10:40 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

Here is a couple pictures of my seat. I will swap for your 4 jump seats. I will include everthing (seat, belts, and mounting hardware). If you want to do this I will take a bunch of pictures of mounting and send with, just in case you are going to self-install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0308.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	2340   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0311.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	2341  

Old January 23rd, 2005, 10:55 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Brian,

Is that a fold/tumble type of bench seat? Original Rover? Is it designed to be removable? Just curious if that is an option. You can e-mail me during the day at wswanda (at) hotmail. My work doesn't allow me to post. The bastards...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat