Chequer plate yes or no? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 22nd, 2007, 02:36 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Chequer plate yes or no?

The tops of my wings are very dimpled and I am contemplating adding chequer plate to cover them up. From what I've read, there's no good way to get the dents out because of the nature of aluminum. I think this is one of those love 'em or hate 'em issues and I'm not sure which side I'm on. Opinions welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2007, 02:41 PM
Frankie Carbone
Heath Hollenbeck
'97 D90 #535, '03 DiscoII

I like the chequer plate.

However there are ways to fix the dents.
Find your local truck body shop. Not a normal auto body.

Find the major auto body shop that works on Semi's, Fire trucks, Fed EX trucks, UPS trucks etc....
Any good semi autobody shop can fix corossion on aluminum and get out dents.

If you goto a normal car autobody shop they will try and replace everything and tell you they cant fix it.
Yes its harder and has a tendancy to nake it wavey but I have had dents removed with great success.

my 2 cents
Old August 22nd, 2007, 03:31 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I'm for chequer plating. Walking on the wings and bonnet are a necessity with a roof rack. Besides, where else are you going to stand at public events?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2007, 04:34 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I love chequer plate (UK Spelling). It hides a myriad of sins and looks damn good to boot. I wish we could get sheets of the English style over here but all I can find is diamond tread plate.

Anybody have a source?
Old August 22nd, 2007, 04:59 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBaxter
The tops of my wings are very dimpled and I am contemplating adding chequer plate to cover them up. From what I've read, there's no good way to get the dents out because of the nature of aluminum. I think this is one of those love 'em or hate 'em issues and I'm not sure which side I'm on. Opinions welcome.
Gary,

I am a fan of the chequer plate myself. My D90 does not have any, but if I ever decide to put them on, I think I would go with the silver colour because it matches the LR rims and it would be a good contrast with the Coniston Green. What colour would you go with?

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 07:06 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

I was leaning more towards the black but could go either way. I understand that some of the black plate can fade to a purplish color over time.

Regarding sources, I know that Atlantic British has "official" Land Rover wing protecters in silver for just under $300. They even have the cutout for the antenna. Lots of places have look-alike stuff.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 07:07 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
I love chequer plate (UK Spelling). It hides a myriad of sins and looks damn good to boot. I wish we could get sheets of the English style over here but all I can find is diamond tread plate.

Anybody have a source?
http://www.cutsmetal.com/

5 bars cut to size...
Old August 22nd, 2007, 10:11 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
I bought the black from RN years ago. It has faded into a dark steel blue color and looks perfect now. It has kept my 90 from getting many dings and scratches and yes, you can stand on it. Also, it is perfect for setting anything on, including the tools you need to keep your truck running. You won't be sorry you put it on, it is very useful. But, you must get the 5 bar style to keep with tradition.

97 D90 SW
Old August 23rd, 2007, 02:08 AM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I`m huge on the "chequer" plating. I decided to put the wingtop plates on after noticing that i`d always leave dents on the wingtops with my elbows while leaning into the engine bay. I went with the genuine LR parts and was pretty impressed with how thick they were as well. Next time I do it (next summer hopefully) I think i`m going to rivet them on instead of using the provided screws. The screws looked kind of cheesey to me.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:03 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
I have the 1/2 wing protectors that just go back to the wing vents. I like that look better than the full protectors. Never stood on them, so not sure if that effects the purpose of them. I got them from D.A.P. http://www.dap-inc.com/homeframe.htm Not sure if they still offer them. I have done business with them a few times and always had a good experience...

EDIT: They do have them $49.99/pair Good prices too!
Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:57 PM
Talleyrand
John
1998 Defender 110 CSW 300Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBaxter
I have a spare pair of full-length wing top chequerplate in the UK style, in silver alloy, that have cutouts for the vents and countersunk holes - no fixings though. They are from Britpart, the high-quality ones that are rolled at the front instead of bent, so that they follow the curve down of the wing just above the headlamp surround. I was going to paint them with black epoxy primer, but then found a nice pair of black adonized ones when I was over in the UK recently, so am going to use those instead.

Anyone interested in 'em? I could sell them for $60 shipped.

Cheers,
John
Old August 23rd, 2007, 03:52 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I've got black check plate that has faded to grey - it looks pretty nice actually. What I'm planning for my next truck is to have silver plate hard-anodized grey (like cookware). I think I'll also get a set of alloys painted the same gunmetal color - that way the whole package wont look so bling and chrome-y.

I do like the check plate though, its utilitarian.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 04:23 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

I'm tending more towards the black for the same bling-bling reason (no offense intended to anyone.) I even painted my new shiny steering protector and front diff guard with flat black paint. With the black roll cage, black bumper, and black brush guard, it seems a better fit to me. My truck is so bland I could probably cruise around Amish country without anyone noticing.

For those who did go with silver, what did you do about the black vent covers?
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:12 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I have English-style plate on mine, painted AA Yellow like the truck. It looks awesome. I wouldn't use black, it contrasts too much for my taste.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
/
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:30 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell
I have English-style plate on mine, painted AA Yellow like the truck. It looks awesome. I wouldn't use black, it contrasts too much for my taste.
Any pix?

Old August 23rd, 2007, 06:45 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

http://flickr.com/photos/defender90/...7600284140517/

http://flickr.com/photos/defender90/...7600284140517/

http://flickr.com/photos/defender90/...7594243738438/

/
/
/
/
Old August 24th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talleyrand
I have a spare pair of full-length wing top chequerplate in the UK style, in silver alloy, that have cutouts for the vents and countersunk holes - no fixings though. They are from Britpart, the high-quality ones that are rolled at the front instead of bent, so that they follow the curve down of the wing just above the headlamp surround. I was going to paint them with black epoxy primer, but then found a nice pair of black adonized ones when I was over in the UK recently, so am going to use those instead.

Anyone interested in 'em? I could sell them for $60 shipped.

Cheers,
John
I'll take them if in decent shape.

Check your PMs and do you take Paypal ?

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old August 24th, 2007, 10:28 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell
Chris, love the AA Yellow on the plates, totally agree with you about the black contrasting. Where did you get your painted and how is the paint holding up?
Old August 24th, 2007, 11:34 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Mine were already painted when I bought the truck. I'm pretty sure that all Land Rover paints can be acquired from PPG and if you search this board, you should be able to find some codes for your color. Any auto paint shop can paint them for you. The paint on my truck and on the plates is outstanding, almost perfect condition despite thirteen years of use.

/
/
/
/
Old August 24th, 2007, 11:51 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Thanks Chris.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat