check this out - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 23rd, 2012, 02:32 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

$128K for the Beckham Rangie....

But you do get a nice luggage set and an autograph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2012, 02:37 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
The first sad reality is the Evoque is a win. People do want that type of vehicle. The second sad reality is not making a cheap rugged utilitarian vehicle (Defender or replacement) is a fail. Wrangler sales numbers prove it. People will buy that type of vehicle. It's not just die hard Jeep people buying them.

Total misread on how to make profits. Whoever was the guy that briefed fewer sales at higher prices equals best profits is an idiot. Land Rover had two brands to play the field. Range Rover for their fewer sales at higher prices and Land Rover to do volume sales. Unfortunately they gradually blended their two brands removing themselves from a part of the market. Now they are convinced that they can't make a vehicle like the Jeep Wrangler? WTF? If Jeep designers can do it how the hell can Land Rover not do it?

Land Rover could dominate the SUV market. They obviously have the luxury side cornered and people love it. Fill the lower end with a new Defender similar to the JK Wrangler. It's pretty simply. If Defenders are too expensive to have humans make get some F-ing robots.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 02:41 PM
Kev Baldwin
Kevin Baldwin
2.4 Tdci 110 Utilty Wagon

"In 2011 alone, Jeep sales skyrocketed by 62% in Europe"

You can make statistics say anything. An increase of 62% over nothing is always going to read like a success story! The truth is the Jeep brand and in particular the Wrangler remains a quirky leftfield choice in Europe.

The JK does beat the Defender hands down in so many respects, but that counts for nothing as far as sales are concerned over here. Your average Land Rover salesman certainly isn't losing sleep over the Wrangler JK especially when they sit gathering dust in Jeep dealers showrooms. It's ironic that we get the diesel Wrangler the the Jeep-heads would kill for, yet in Europe we ignore it. Until recently Jeep UK offered just one Wrangler model in a single choice of colour!

Jeep as a brand in Europe just doesn't have any real pedigree behind it and will always struggle this side of the Atlantic. I guess it's a Jeep thing....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2012, 03:01 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Ok. Jeep sales for 2011 - 419,349 (source)
Land Rover sales for 2011 - 232,600 (source)
Jeep sales in Europe for 2011 - 22,177 (source)
Land Rover sales in US for 2011 - 50,375 (source)

That would appear that the US market is ripe for the pickin's for their super spendy sales plan. Jeep obviously is selling a load of cheap product in America. Land Rover should do the same. Keep their spendy image with Range Rover dominate the cheap market with Land Rover. Win all around. Unfortunately they'll only ever get a partial win with their plan.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 03:27 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
I think I'll go throwing up now.
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Old April 23rd, 2012, 03:54 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

ok I'm gunna name my 90, Bad Zula!
Old April 23rd, 2012, 05:10 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Have you guys not seen this? I am so disgusted.

“Our enthusiast base has evolved as our vehicles have evolved. Sure, our new models can still be driven off road, but who does that anymore? We created this event to appeal to the individuals who are buying Land Rovers today. Who wants to take the DC100 on a drive through the desert; could you imagine the sand? It gets everywhere!”

http://www.roverparts.com/News/archi...rlyHillsCA.cfm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KardashianEvoque(1).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	50680  

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:04 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

They just need to build the defender in India or mexico at $2 an hour labor cost rather than 50 UKP (all in with benefits etc.) in solihul.

Probably would have better quality control too, or at least it can't be any worse.

The jeep was crap in the US until they put the new V6 for 2012. 285hp mmmmmm and no weird bearing issues or whatever plagued the older V6.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:28 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Have you guys not seen this? I am so disgusted.

“Our enthusiast base has evolved as our vehicles have evolved. Sure, our new models can still be driven off road, but who does that anymore? We created this event to appeal to the individuals who are buying Land Rovers today. Who wants to take the DC100 on a drive through the desert; could you imagine the sand? It gets everywhere!”

http://www.roverparts.com/News/archi...rlyHillsCA.cfm
That was posted on April 1st. April fool's joke.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:32 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

One word: Torque
Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:47 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Land Rover had a simple utilitarian vehicle that worked for the entire world market for 60 years. Rather than add lockers and air bags to keep the basic formula competitive they are abandoning the entire concept that made the company world famous. Granted like all English car companies it has struggled financially to stay allive and has been owned by a long list of companies to include British Aerospace, Honda, BMW, Ford etc. The defender line has always been a limited production truck @ 25-27,000 units a year but that's because they are hand built unlike the rest of the product line, god know why ? Perhaps automating the defender line would increase the profitability of this model and keep it competitive- instead the decision is to effectively ditch it ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 24th, 2012, 02:19 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The Morris minor is still built in India. There is hope. There is no need to automate the line. They just need to move it to India (or brazil or mexico or china).

Paying first world labor costs to build cars makes no sense. I think we will see production shifting completely to the third world in another 25 years. Look how well the Korean car companies are doing. Cheaper labor, cheaper cars, same or better quality than competitors. Also look how VW, GM, Chrysler have shifted production to Mexico. The Mexican VWs have less quality contol issues than the german built ones.
Old April 24th, 2012, 07:17 AM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm View Post
in 1993 a new 110nas was 40,000.... AC thats works all the way up to 70 deg, steel bits that are untreated, thin and hold water in odd places so driving in water meant death, let alone salt water. a frame that while boxed, is of a paltry thin gauge, cockpit seating for a midget, a crappy transmission, no lockers, it had to have a cage to pass a rollover test because it falls apart and kills you otherwise. bad electrics, junky seats, bad gearing...

now look at a brand new loaded 40,000 rubicon today....

ECR wont have a business doing these, because hundreds of thousands will be sold and they wont be falling to pieces in 50,000 miles.

the defender is a romance, and fun one. i still shop the classified for the next one. but design wise, its a complete piece of crap next to a new rubicon. the only downside? you see them every day.
Well said.
Old April 24th, 2012, 08:05 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
That was posted on April 1st. April fool's joke.
Thanks, I did not miss the joke. Unfortunately, the quote is truer than I would like to believe about the brand and the direction they are heading in

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 24th, 2012, 10:43 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
DC100, evoque.. Rover is reacting to the market rather than driving it. Sad sad sad from a design standpoint. What were all those 90's slogans pasted on everything rover? "Authenticity" "guts" on and on and on -all ABANDONED. They're still milking the failed freelander idea, and forgetting the 50 years of true (series, defenders) Land Rover sales.

~Steve

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat