Check out these prices - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 2nd, 2016, 09:01 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Seems auto leasing industry, banking, has taken tips from the drug dealer industry. Entry level car leases are advertised at $139/month. Hook'm young and they'll not have the discipline to do anything different. The state of our economy based on consumer credit will be something to watch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2016, 09:08 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
My folks bought a rubicon hard rock, sticker was north of $50k. I looked at a 3/4 ton new suburban (fleet only supposedly but whatever) 80-90k. Ended up buying a tacoma 4 banger, 5 speed 4x4 utility package for $23,400. Even a work truck regular cab ram diesel stickered close to $50k and even with 10k off it would have been $40k and that is vinyl seats manual trans base truck.
Speaking of Tacoma's I looked to buy a used one (many different times) and you actually can't justify the cost of one, the first gen body style still commands $10k, late 00's are still $15-20k. If I were to buy one I might as well of bought a new base model like you did, Prices are stupid high for any Tacoma.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 10:06 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
Speaking of Tacoma's I looked to buy a used one (many different times) and you actually can't justify the cost of one, the first gen body style still commands $10k, late 00's are still $15-20k. If I were to buy one I might as well of bought a new base model like you did, Prices are stupid high for any Tacoma.
You can get back a good portion of your money though if you ever resell
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2016, 10:19 AM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howski View Post
You can get back a good portion of your money though if you ever resell
Indeed. So much so, my brother-in-law simply decided to buy a new one because the used ones he was looking at were only a few thousand less than new.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 11:46 AM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
well, this is about the 4th guy in the same boat...sounds like a group buy is in order.
No kidding! Lemme know if you get one going Clay!
Old September 2nd, 2016, 11:50 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgcny View Post
I had to do some major repairs to the frame last year. I hope it makes it another 20 years.
Eek!

Have you considered POR 15 and some treatment. That looks rough.

Frame rust is the one issue with the tacos. If I could find someone to do it for reasonable money, I would have the frame in my 2016 taco removed and galvanized (no one in the Toyota world has done this to my knowledge). As it stands the taco will be garaged during the winter and I will drive my old suburban. If I ever decide to take the Taco out in salt I will be sure to waxoyl or fluid film it first.

------ Follow up post added September 2nd, 2016 12:54 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
That is why I did what I did. I actually like it quite a bit with all of the 158hp or whatever it is. I don't trust the new 3.5 direct injection V6 and the new auto people are having issues with (lots of issues). With the four banger five speed manual it is about as simple of a new vehicle as you can get. Plus, if I ever tire of it, it will be sold in a day for a high fraction of what I paid for it.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 12:20 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I just looked at a Tacoma. Dealer wouldn't budge on msrp. Said they don't do that with tacomas.

I have a way of getting a deal but I can't believe no deal from my local dealers (went to a few)
Old September 2nd, 2016, 12:52 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Why does the Tacoma frame rot where the 4Runner doesn't? Thought the chassis and suspension on both are similar.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 01:02 PM
mmgcny
Michael
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Eek!

Have you considered POR 15 and some treatment. That looks rough.

Frame rust is the one issue with the tacos. If I could find someone to do it for reasonable money, I would have the frame in my 2016 taco removed and galvanized (no one in the Toyota world has done this to my knowledge). As it stands the taco will be garaged during the winter and I will drive my old suburban. If I ever decide to take the Taco out in salt I will be sure to waxoyl or fluid film it first.
I would fluid film it - no need to galv.

I cut out the bad sections, wheeled it and welded in new metal. Then I covered everything in chassis saver and topcoated that with frame paint then Fluid Filmed.

------ Follow up post added September 2nd, 2016 02:04 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Why does the Tacoma frame rot where the 4Runner doesn't? Thought the chassis and suspension on both are similar.
I think that it had something to do with the supplier. IIRC Dana manufactured the Taco frames and there were some issues with the welds that would accelerate the rusting process.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 01:53 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
I would fluid film it - no need to galv. I cut out the bad sections, wheeled it and welded in new metal. Then I covered everything in chassis saver and topcoated that with frame paint then Fluid Filmed. ------ Follow up post added September 2nd, 2016 02:04 PM ------ I think that it had something to do with the supplier. IIRC Dana manufactured the Taco frames and there were some issues with the welds that would accelerate the rusting process.
Nice work. I hope I never have to do that. Is the frame ok up front by the cats?
Old September 2nd, 2016, 01:57 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 95 RRC

Quote:
I had to do some major repairs to the frame last year. I hope it makes it another 20 years.
that nothin...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2290451188.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	546.8 KB
ID:	156896  
Old September 2nd, 2016, 02:02 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
It's a different frame, but I can assure you the 4runner frames rot, I have seen multiple 4runner frames I can stick my hand through, they were just in areas that were harder to see.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 06:23 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Autoweek includes a regular 'Market' column that describes an auction translation. The good, bad, and ugly. This week it is a 91' ROW D90. That is a departure from the norm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3927285740.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	498.6 KB
ID:	156924   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3989425615.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	508.4 KB
ID:	156925  

Old September 30th, 2016, 07:52 AM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_110 View Post
Love my 04 Burb. Just towed our 26' travel trailer from Dallas to LA and a few stops in between with 3 kids n 3 dogs. 160k miles on the odometer. It's probably only worth 5k, but runs like a champ. We will not be able to replace it with a new one...just ridiculous
Spot on...was just offered $4k for my 05 Burb on trade.
Old September 30th, 2016, 08:04 AM
Matt_110
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post
Spot on...was just offered $4k for my 05 Burb on trade.
Yeah that's probably about right. I think I'll keep mine til she goes TU. Maybe when I get the 110 done, it'll replace the burbs purpose to some extent
Old September 30th, 2016, 09:05 AM
FlyersFan76
Chris
1987 110 Convertible

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Land Rovers are not that much more expensive than others...
Amazing really.

In 2010 I got a Ford Expedition Limited as my work truck. I didn't even bother looking at the Disco (yuk LR4) because I thought they were much more. I probably could have gotten one for the same as we paid for the Expedition. I ended up buying from my company and now my wife drives it. 95k miles on it now. A discovery is on her list as she wants and needs a 3rd row. Not sure if she'll like the Disco 5 as the first time she saw a picture of it last night she didn't like it.

1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #1701- Wrecked
1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #?- Sold
2000 AM General Hummer- Sold

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat