Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 1st, 2016, 08:52 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
Wife and I are about to buy two used cars/SUV/Truck and get rid of our current rides. The prices really are freaking stupid. As stated earlier, Tahoe's and Burb's are $70K.........my threshold for a vehicle has pretty much always been around $35K at the very most. It's tough to get much for that price in today's market.
take a look at the 07-14 Yukon denalis My wife drives one and loves it.. I use it as our tow vehicle and the 6.2L has a ton of power. You can find a real nice one now sub 35k. New ones are approaching $85k...silly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2016, 09:13 AM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
take a look at the 07-14 Yukon denalis My wife drives one and loves it.. I use it as our tow vehicle and the 6.2L has a ton of power. You can find a real nice one now sub 35k. New ones are approaching $85k...silly

That's what we are looking at for her........12' or 13' Tahoe or Yukon.

I have a 2012 Chevy 1500LTZ, but I honestly don't drive it. I think I put 5K miles on it last year. I generally drive a Rover pretty much every day of the week. The Tahoe/Yukon will still pull our boat nicely and is much better on road trips with the kids and our 10,000 pounds of shit.

I'll probably pick up an older high mileage Land Cruiser or a Lexus LX for when I don't feel like driving a Rover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2016, 09:35 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
But it's not just the wrenching cause things just wear out. After raising 3 kids and half the neighborhood the interior has seen better days. Everything works but like my 15yo says.. "this back seat looks like a ball sack".
I mean *buying* a used vehicle with some years and miles on it....but of course, it's better to get the vehicle from some old couple that left it at their beach house or something (like I did for my daily driver), rather than the chaotic collaboration of vanilla milkshakes, crushed Cheerios, and old sausage McMuffins that people like my wife insist on storing in the backseat area. You can literally eat off the floor of my 90 trail rig, but I wouldn't pass that challenge to anyone regarding my wife's car!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2016, 09:38 AM
kurtisblo
Kurt
1991 Defender 110, LHD 200TDI

Registry
How is tesla going to sell their newest model 3 for $35,000 loaded with tech??
Old September 1st, 2016, 11:21 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtisblo View Post
How is tesla going to sell their newest model 3 for $35,000 loaded with tech??
at a loss
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old September 1st, 2016, 12:39 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

My folks bought a rubicon hard rock, sticker was north of $50k. I looked at a 3/4 ton new suburban (fleet only supposedly but whatever) 80-90k. Ended up buying a tacoma 4 banger, 5 speed 4x4 utility package for $23,400. Even a work truck regular cab ram diesel stickered close to $50k and even with 10k off it would have been $40k and that is vinyl seats manual trans base truck.
Old September 1st, 2016, 12:47 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover View Post
at a loss
A gov't subsidized loss.
Old September 1st, 2016, 12:55 PM
mmgcny
Michael
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
...my threshold for a vehicle has pretty much always been around $35K at the very most. It's tough to get much for that price in today's market.
Same as me. Looking to replace our Acadia right now with a CPO vehicle. I am budgeting 35K including all taxes/fees. I cant imagine what type of income you would need to justify driving an 80K car, yet it seems there are plenty of people willing to pay for them.

These high prices are the reason why I will drive my 95 Taco until it dies and cannot be revived.
Old September 1st, 2016, 03:30 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgcny View Post
These high prices are the reason why I will drive my 95 Taco until it dies and cannot be revived.
That is likely to be a long time..

My wife and I were talking about the cost to keep a vehicle going, vs buying a new one. She still loves her X5, but with nearly 200K on the odometer, it needs suspension bushings, etc, etc, etc..

To replace it with a newer generation X5 (CPO likely, hate to take the depreciation hit of new), we're looking at a $40-$50K investment...

But even if we spend to bring everything on her current ride up to standards, AND we had to put a new engine AND transmission in it (thinking worst case scenario here), it would still be a lot cheaper over the next five years than buying something else new...

Question becomes how long do you want to extend the life of a vehicle I guess..

Old September 1st, 2016, 04:02 PM
mmgcny
Michael
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
That is likely to be a long time..
250K miles and counting. The real question to me is how reliable you need it to be. Lately the Taco has been plagued with electrical issues (reverse lights went out, EFI relay went, Circuit Opening Relay went). I wouldn't let my kids drive in it either, but for $500.00 a year in maintenance its worth having it around.

I also drive it to Boston and Philly from NY for work a dozen or so times a year so it actually makes me money in mileage expense reimbursement at $0.54 a mile.
Old September 1st, 2016, 04:12 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Going through the same sticker shock now. 205k on my 2005 suburban and 140k on my wife's 2010 suburban.

After four kids and what feels like a lifetime of suburban driving, my wife is ready to get a smaller SUV. The one we both liked stickered out at over $50k - for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Granted, it was heavily optioned, but crickey!
Old September 1st, 2016, 04:13 PM
ionfender
IO
94 NAS D90, #1379 (SOLD)

Registry
[QUOTE="mmgcny;764527"] Same as me. Looking to replace our Acadia right now with a CPO vehicle. I am budgeting 35K including all taxes/fees. I cant imagine what type of income you would need to justify driving an 80K car, yet it seems there are plenty of people willing to pay for them.

The consumer's shift from "buying" to "leasing" has made many cars more affordable to drive. My sense is that if you look at the upward trend of car price increases (mentioned in this thread) there is a close correlation to when the industry started heavily pushing leasing programs. I'm not saying it fully explains the significant price increases, but it is a factor. There are legitimate reasons to lease a vehicle, but in most cases it just provides extended terms to someone that doesn't have the means to afford paying cash or taking out a traditional car loan.
Old September 1st, 2016, 04:24 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The only thing that may kill that taco is frame rust.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 06:35 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post
Going through the same sticker shock now. 205k on my 2005 suburban and 140k on my wife's 2010 suburban. After four kids and what feels like a lifetime of suburban driving, my wife is ready to get a smaller SUV. The one we both liked stickered out at over $50k - for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Granted, it was heavily optioned, but crickey!
well, this is about the 4th guy in the same boat...sounds like a group buy is in order.

Old September 2nd, 2016, 08:29 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
well, this is about the 4th guy in the same boat...sounds like a group buy is in order.
Make that number 5.

We have a 2010 Sub with 125k on the clock. It does its job but with my oldest driving I would love something a little smaller. Priced Tahoes and was blown away at the costs. All of them are expensive when you add a decent engine to it. Honestly a quick sedan or wagon would be the treats as my wife has a full size RR.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 08:41 AM
mmgcny
Michael
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
The only thing that may kill that taco is frame rust.
I had to do some major repairs to the frame last year.

I hope it makes it another 20 years.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 08:42 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Speaking of sticker shock- anyone noticed whats going on with 25yr old defender prices in the UK ?
What used to be a 700-1500 mot failure are now more than twice that if you can find them,
lots now seem to be holding on to see how high things will go. Looking for a 2.5 natural 12j engine for a customer who needs to retro fit one to get his truck in stateside and having trouble finding one.
Nuts

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old September 2nd, 2016, 08:48 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
Question becomes how long do you want to extend the life of a vehicle I guess..
I think this is one of the reasons why I love my Defender. I want to extend the life of it forever
Old September 2nd, 2016, 08:48 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Speaking of sticker shock- anyone noticed whats going on with 25yr old defender prices in the UK ? What used to be a 700-1500 mot failure are now more than twice that if you can find them, lots now seem to be holding on to see how high things will go. Looking for a 2.5 natural 12j engine for a customer who needs to retro fit one to get his truck in stateside and having trouble finding one. Nuts
I suspect in 10 years the clean originals start making their way back home like we see with the early 911.

Old September 2nd, 2016, 08:52 AM
mmgcny
Michael
None

[QUOTE=ionfender;764572]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgcny View Post
Same as me. Looking to replace our Acadia right now with a CPO vehicle. I am budgeting 35K including all taxes/fees. I cant imagine what type of income you would need to justify driving an 80K car, yet it seems there are plenty of people willing to pay for them.

The consumer's shift from "buying" to "leasing" has made many cars more affordable to drive. My sense is that if you look at the upward trend of car price increases (mentioned in this thread) there is a close correlation to when the industry started heavily pushing leasing programs. I'm not saying it fully explains the significant price increases, but it is a factor. There are legitimate reasons to lease a vehicle, but in most cases it just provides extended terms to someone that doesn't have the means to afford paying cash or taking out a traditional car loan.
Leasing has definitely contributed to the price increases, or at least has offset them a bit. I know a lot of people who just want a nice new car every three years and don't mind writing a 1k check each month for transportation.

Technology and unnecessary features have also added to the increase. On lots of cars the one "nice" feature is usually bundled in a premium/elite package that adds lots of unnecessary shit.

I think that I am settled on a CPO MDX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat