Cheapf*ck Poll - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

View Poll Results: How Much Have You Spent on Upgrades, Accessories, Repairs, Etc?
I'm a "Cheapfuck" and haven't spent a dime 1 1.33%
$1-$1000 1 1.33%
$1000-$3000 7 9.33%
$3000-$6000 11 14.67%
$6000-$10000 12 16.00%
$10000-$15000 8 10.67%
$15000-$20000 7 9.33%
$20000-$30000 9 12.00%
I've lost track, and I don't want my spouse to know 13 17.33%
All the LR parts suppliers have my credit card info on file 6 8.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 15th, 2012, 01:21 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
Using push pins is "cheap", looks like "fuck", and is a "hack" job
Replace "push pins" with "chicken coop for a grill".

You little rebel, I like you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Robbie Donaldson
Robbie Donaldson
1995 Discovery

i think cheap fuck comes a lot from those folks who are pure function over form and sell it by saying they don't care what it looks like as long as it works. not saying everything should be pretty and not work, but if you are going to build something, bolt it on, etc, make it look good and have some pride in it. form and function do not have to be opposites or one or the other.

that grill for example really is ugly. considering your fab abilities and knowledge you could easily have made something a lot nicer or even just used the old grill and built in some support for it.

at the same time, you have to examine if being a cheap fuck is bad for you. seems like a number of folks are taking it as an insult. if that is how you roll, that is how you roll. i have cheap fucked out on a lot of things in the past and still do on occasion. but I have also learned over the years that those items that have form and function make me so much happier and typically last longer.

oh and for cost on my truck and everything else, had it for 12 years now, so can only imagine I am up over $20k+ in repairs, mods, accessories, etc. not including the initial $15k buy in.

man, i never get sucked into these types of things
Old February 15th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Keeping in mind that "form" is subjective. You do not like the look of that grill but if the owner likes the look of it, what is the problem. This is were the "silly" discussions tend to originate, when people try and stuff their "tastes" down other people's throats....

The opposite of cheap fuck is stupid fuck, when someone buy a mod because it is expensive, not because it has better functionally. We can only dream to be smart fucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
So what category do the factory rear light 'guards' fall into?

-Jeff
They protect the lights from shopping cart damage at the mall so there is some function.... I personally do not like the look, but I know many people that do, so it is a good example of different tastes for different people.
Old February 15th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Well said, Robbie.

This thread is awesome.

Can we start one about how much your house cost?

I bought my wife a Rolex.
She probably *cost* more than Land Rovers.
I shoulda cheapfucked and got her a Casio...
Old February 15th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Roverhound
Walter Dent
2000 D2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Keeping in mind that "form" is subjective. You do not like the look of that grill but if the owner likes the look of it, what is the problem. This is were the "silly" discussions tend to originate, when people try and stuff their "tastes" down other people's throats....

The opposite of cheap fuck is stupid fuck, when someone buy a mod because it is expensive, not because it has better functionally. We can only dream to be smart fucks.
Basically you are saying anything goes. That is a very Expo attitude.
Old February 15th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I'm saying "form" discussions are stupid as there is no "right" answer. Better to go to a fashion forum for those sorts of talks.

"Function" discussions can be debatable.
Old February 15th, 2012, 04:39 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
HaHa

Good idea on a thread! So I have spent in the area of 6-10k this last year on my D90 alone on upgrades.

But im still a cheap fuck anytime I can afford to be, as I live but the rule of build it right the first time. But I buy used parts anytime I can to save money, so am I a cheap fuck for that?

I dont think there is anything wrong with the grille on wolfs rig. Kinda has a military-ish look to it.
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 15th, 2012, 05:07 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
I'm saying "form" discussions are stupid as there is no "right" answer. Better to go to a fashion forum for those sorts of talks.

"Function" discussions can be debatable.
You're absolutely wrong about that. Good form is rooted in quality, craftsmanship, and attention to detail. Form is important and absolutely worthy of discussion and critique.

It is a common misconception amongst the cheapfucks that good form is vain, time-consuming and not worth the effort. As a reformed cheapfuck, I once thought this way. Prizing function over form is how you end up with this. When I installed those things in my battery box, I had no concern for form. I wanted a sweet amp for my truck, I wanted a CB, and my marine battery and I didn't how it looked because it was under my seat. But, it was an insult to my truck. Solihull would have never done it that way. It was a reflection of my flippant attitude towards quality and it showed a lack of skill. Over time, I grew to appreciate quality and craftsmanship and have made many changes to my truck. The battery box went from a complete pile of shit to this.

You can keep disrespecting yourself and you truck and tell yourself that form isn't important. In the end, you'll end up with mediocrity.
Old February 15th, 2012, 05:19 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
You're absolutely wrong about that. Good form is rooted in quality, craftsmanship, and attention to detail. Form is important and absolutely worthy of discussion and critique.
Did you ever put grommets on those seatbox holes?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/defende...7624314668149/
Old February 15th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
You're absolutely wrong about that.
And I completely disagree.

See what I mean. Believe it or not, just because you believe something does not mean everyone else feels the same way.
Old February 15th, 2012, 05:40 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
Did you ever put grommets on those seatbox holes?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/defende...7624314668149/
Yes, it took a bit to find the right ones. McMaster PNs posted here.

------ Follow up post added February 15th, 2012 04:42 PM ------

Quote:
And I completely disagree.

See what I mean. Believe it or not, just because you believe something does not mean everyone else feels the same way.
Disagreeing with form/function is one thing. Telling people that they should go to a fashion forum to discuss this is an insult.
Old February 15th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Telling people that they should go to a fashion forum to discuss this is an insult.
or.....you could see humour. Your choice I suppose.
Old February 15th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
Now are we talking per Land Rover or aggregate?
Old February 15th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer
Now are we talking per Land Rover or aggregate?
Per Rover

Semper Fi!
Old February 15th, 2012, 09:48 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

The grill is cheap fuck, I thought it was the bottom of a bread tray I see laying in the back of the mess hall. You could do, find, or buy something better.

Of course I bought my current RRC for $1100 so by most of your definitions I'm sure I fit in the cheap fuck category.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:11 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I've done some half ass stuff to my classic, but it is better than most. I have never cut corners with the Defender and it shows. I used to keep every receipt for everything. I've reviewed them but never added it all up, I am certain I have 10 or 15k in parts.

My GFs dad has over 30k in his DI and its stock and doesn't include purchasing it CPO.
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:53 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Does this count parts that have been purchased, but sit unused in boxes on my workbench? Or just parts put on?

I'm glad we're not counting all trucks...I don't think I could handle seeing that final number.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 16th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

As for the poll, I quit keeping track of what I spend on any of my Rovers in the 80's. I have most of the receipts filed away, but haven't totaled them and really have no intention of doing it.

The only thing I see about the grill that I'd have done differently would be to use a trim piece (maybe a beveled piece of aluminum) down each side so they matched.

Quote:

The battery box went from a complete pile of shit to this.
A perfect example of it's often a matter of opinion.
While the battery box content does look better, to me that main ground cable is sort of like dressing nicely for a formal party and leaving a huge blackhead in the middle of your forehead.
To me it's even more distracting that the different screws in the farmtek grill, but you're happy enough with the result so it doesn't matter what I think.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old February 16th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist
To me it's even more distracting that the different screws in the farmtek grill, but you're happy enough with the result so it doesn't matter what I think.
All the screws are stainless and the washers are powder coated black, the light is playing tricks on you. The bottom line is that I love my grill and you're right, it doesn't matter what others think.

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat