Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 12th, 2012, 06:42 PM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
Chaser - Adventure Trailers with my D-110

So I am about to place an order for one of those Chaser Adventure Trailers. I saw one on a trip and was just blown away by its build quality and functionality. Everything about it was so smart. I just have to have one now with the D110. I love the idea of being able to drive my truck away and leave "camp" set up. The AT guys have been very helpful and I think they pretty much have me and all my gear dialed in. Before I pull the trigger I wanted to ask if anyone on here has any insight or recommendations on build out specs that I should consider now. So far I have a pretty basic set up with water storage, fuel storage, tons of gear storage, work lights, holder for my Hannibal Tent. I already am used to the SnowPeak kitchen solution and modular table so I think I am going to continue using that. Anything else???

This photo shows basically what I'm looking at except mine will have wolf wheels
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_chaser8.jpg
Views:	1735
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	46063

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Isn't it nice to be you! congrats on this. It's a major purchase and a nice piece of gear. I would be clear on how you will use it with them, including future=proofing it for what you might grow into if your family really enjoys it (ie longer trips).

Things to think about with this kind of kit are a deep cycle battery bank that can be charged by the trailer connection while moving, and an 80 Watt flexible solar panel. You already mentioned water, and of course, having the same type wheels/tires as you is important. I'm assuming you will have a propane tank and a partner stove. some wolf boxes or the full kitchen setup would be nice to have, so that water, power, shelter and kitchen are all provided by this.

Personally I would want a pintel hook, rather than a ball, but they know their business, so let's leave that to the experts.

Good luck and post pics when you get it!
Old January 12th, 2012, 08:32 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Although. I cant offer much help on the setup, i will say eeziawn tents are worth their weight in gold. Superb quality.

Also, opt out of the built.for.offroad sticker. Reminds me of trail rated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Their trailers are great and they offer a good knowlege base. I bought a Horizon and its fantastic! I have dual water tanks (40 gal total) and two 15 pound propane tanks. I also went with the solar option. I and going to install a second battery for more reserve this spring. I also went with the shower option. I supplied my own rims and tires (had to match the 90!). It's great and I'm certian you'll have a blast with it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1_horizon6_small.jpg
Views:	4187
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	46069   Click image for larger version

Name:	mskht1.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	46070  

Name:	mskht3.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	46071   Click image for larger version

Name:	mskht6.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	46072  

Name:	mskht8.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	46073  
Old January 12th, 2012, 10:57 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Sweet garage setup Bill.

What do these trailers run?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 12th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Sweet garage setup Bill.

What do these trailers run?

That is Adventure Trailers "Sweet Garage"!! Uh yeah "the price" I have ALOT of EXTRAS on mine! but...(wait for it......) 24k!
Old January 12th, 2012, 11:09 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
That is Adventure Trailers "Sweet Garage"!! Uh yeah "the price" I have ALOT of EXTRAS on mine! but...(wait for it......) 24k!
I literally just crapped in my pants .

Going to change my knickers...
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old January 12th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Well to be well equiped for the zombie apocalypse one must have good equipment! lol. The D90's make this Trailer look good!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	za.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	46075  
Old January 13th, 2012, 07:07 PM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
As I recall, Dendy (NashvilleRover) has one or somthing similar. Charles (cgalpin) build one from a 109 tub.
This one is pretty cool as well. http://tawayama.com/gear/trailer/chuckwagon.html

There is also a trailer section over on Expo and Ih8mud that could give some ideas/insight.

BTW since you are in Napa, do you know Robb Felder?

-Jeff
Yes I do know Robb. He is wineryrover and is also in the NCLR. Nice guy and cool 90!
Old January 13th, 2012, 07:10 PM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Isn't it nice to be you! congrats on this. It's a major purchase and a nice piece of gear. I would be clear on how you will use it with them, including future=proofing it for what you might grow into if your family really enjoys it (ie longer trips).

Things to think about with this kind of kit are a deep cycle battery bank that can be charged by the trailer connection while moving, and an 80 Watt flexible solar panel. You already mentioned water, and of course, having the same type wheels/tires as you is important. I'm assuming you will have a propane tank and a partner stove. some wolf boxes or the full kitchen setup would be nice to have, so that water, power, shelter and kitchen are all provided by this.

Personally I would want a pintel hook, rather than a ball, but they know their business, so let's leave that to the experts.

Good luck and post pics when you get it!
Good advise. To keep costs down do you think that I can add the electrical stuff later or should I have AT do it. I'm pretty handy with automotive electrical installs like that don't scare me one bit but I also don't know exactly what is involved in their set up. Also, I am using AT special hitch system that has unlimited rotation. Thanks for the tips.
Old January 13th, 2012, 07:11 PM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaKevin View Post
Although. I cant offer much help on the setup, i will say eeziawn tents are worth their weight in gold. Superb quality.

Also, opt out of the built.for.offroad sticker. Reminds me of trail rated.
I know they are awesome but I already have the hannibal tent which doesn't suck either. Trying to use as much gear as I already have.
Old January 13th, 2012, 07:19 PM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Their trailers are great and they offer a good knowlege base. I bought a Horizon and its fantastic! I have dual water tanks (40 gal total) and two 15 pound propane tanks. I also went with the solar option. I and going to install a second battery for more reserve this spring. I also went with the shower option. I supplied my own rims and tires (had to match the 90!). It's great and I'm certian you'll have a blast with it!
Wow man...this is awesome. One question...I have been using my
snow peak kitchen gear for years and love it...am I missing out in not getting AT's kitchen solution? Should I add it later? On the Chaser it's like a swing out pelican case system that rides on the back. I figured that I wait for the need until later. What do you think?
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomaD110 View Post
Wow man...this is awesome. One question...I have been using my
snow peak kitchen gear for years and love it...am I missing out in not getting AT's kitchen solution? Should I add it later? On the Chaser it's like a swing out pelican case system that rides on the back. I figured that I wait for the need until later. What do you think?
I just took a look at the swing out system and it looks pretty cool! if it were me I would get it, however that being said, there is not alot of storage inside the chaser. I have 3 kids and a wife that require room for all of their "stuff" so I have certain capacity needs (yeah I know D90=no room) so when I buy stuff like this I go all out to get the best I can....operationally speaking. I hate it when I have to go back and "redo" or upgrade. The Chaser looks cool, I do love the room I have with the Horizon. I am thinking about getting a Chaser also later in the year and would love feed back on what you think of yours.

AT has a great articulating hitch that I bought...The whole set up is the cats ass. I took delivery of mine in April and last year we made four trips with it! This spring break we are going to New Mexico...should be a blast! One thing for sure on these if the 90 can drive there you wont have a problem with the trailer getting there and she'll look as good as new when the trips all done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	l.coxusi.com 262.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	46122  
Old January 14th, 2012, 12:27 AM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
this one is in my neighborhood

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-sale-7500-OBO
Old January 14th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Yep thats a Chaser...looks like an older model. They dont use that hitch anymore, nice looking trailer!
Old January 16th, 2012, 08:18 PM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
Awesome. Amazing what these things fetch used.
Old January 16th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomaD110 View Post
Good advise. To keep costs down do you think that I can add the electrical stuff later or should I have AT do it. I'm pretty handy with automotive electrical installs like that don't scare me one bit but I also don't know exactly what is involved in their set up. Also, I am using AT special hitch system that has unlimited rotation. Thanks for the tips.
You can definitely add solar later yourself.
Old January 17th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Francois
Francois
1986 110

Quote:
Holy smoke! At that price you might as well buy a second 110 and throw your camping gear in it!
Old January 17th, 2012, 12:04 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Holy smoke! At that price you might as well buy a second 110 and throw your camping gear in it!
You're totally missing the point. It's not about practicality, it's about the style. Sure, you could cook dinner on your camp table and Snow Peak stove but where's the style in that? For only $24K, you can have a solar powered camp kitchen complete with stove, sink, and LED mood lighting. It frees up all that storage space in the 110--which is pretty cramped--so now you have room for more useful things...like a camp toilet and toilet shelter.
Old January 17th, 2012, 12:09 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I actually prefer Bill's "zombie apocalypse" justification over the "style" justification .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, d-110