Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 17th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I actually prefer Bill's "zombie apocalypse" justification over the "style" justification .
Right!! However, the "Mood" lighting is important (that and a good Banfi!) When I first brought it home the wife insisted that we set it up in the drive way and sleep in it that night...so we did. Nothing like a little urban camping!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
When I first brought it home the wife insisted that we set it up in the drive way and sleep in it that night...so we did. Nothing like a little urban camping!!
Ok, I don't care who you are, she's a keeper there!
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:12 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

Not trying to put AT down I like their products. Bill and those who have one... it looks like the Horizon is basically 3 individual boxes bolted together. Do they make the boxes themselves or are they outsourced? To oversimplify it looks like 2 truck side tool boxes and one bed box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Pierce View Post
Not trying to put AT down I like their products. Bill and those who have one... it looks like the Horizon is basically 3 individual boxes bolted together. Do they make the boxes themselves or are they outsourced? To oversimplify it looks like 2 truck side tool boxes and one bed box.
I belive most of their stuff is out sourced. They design/construct/assemble the "end product" the painting/powder coating and fab work is all out sourced. Yes you can do it all your self but, my thoughts are/were not to reinvent the wheel on this. Plus my warranty sucks...I can never get myself to refund myself for cutting corners when my full time job or faimly interupts me!

I'll let the pros do their job and I'll do mine. Tinkering something together would fail in the field and this trailer performs.
Old January 19th, 2012, 10:49 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
Here is a good one

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=72361

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BUY SOME HATS --->

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 19th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstahl3 View Post
Yes...if any of you were ever in the market, this is it!! This is a good deal.
Old January 20th, 2012, 02:09 AM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstahl3 View Post
looks like he found a buyer 5 minutes after you posted.
Old January 20th, 2012, 02:24 AM
NomaD110
Christian
1993 Defender 110

Registry
That's alright, I already placed my order with AT. I have to say they really are nice to work with. First class operation.
Old January 20th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
looks like he found a buyer 5 minutes after you posted.
Good for the Seller & the Buyer!! I wonder if AT got that military contract they were hoping for. Digital Camo on a trailer sounds ok.....
Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:30 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomaD110 View Post
Good advise. To keep costs down do you think that I can add the electrical stuff later or should I have AT do it. I'm pretty handy with automotive electrical installs like that don't scare me one bit but I also don't know exactly what is involved in their set up. Also, I am using AT special hitch system that has unlimited rotation. Thanks for the tips.
I'm not really weighing in on whether to have the electrical work completed by AT or doing it yourself, but a suggestion about batteries. I think AT uses DEKA deep cycle batteries. Nothing wrong with them, but you may want to get the specs and consider using a pair of LifeLine 6V deep cycle batteries in series (for 12v total). With the exception of possible difficulties fully recharging them from the vehicle or solar chargers (home electric chargers after the trip should be fine though), you can get ALOT more capacity.

For the roughly the same foot print (including height), you can get 492 minutes of reserve from a pair of GPL-4CT LifeLines (two Odyssey PC2150's would give you 410 minutes, and I'd bet these are slightly better than the DEKA's that AT uses). But here is where it gets really interesting. The nose box the batteries live in is fairly deep (anyone have the measurement), so this gives you even better options depending upon how much depth you have...

A pair of GPL-6CT's (13" tall) will give you 692 minutes of reserve..
A pair of GPL-L16T's (15.75" tall) will give you 950 minutes of reserve..

If you still want to stick with 12V batteries in parallel, the LifeLine GPL-30HT will give you 630 minutes (315 minutes each) of reserve capacity in roughly the same footprint as the PC2150's..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, d-110