Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 4th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by smob View Post
2x this comment - the Great Falls event has turned into an idiot brigade of high-hp owners. Haven't been there in over two years. Upside is that I met a lot of great Rover people there, including Lav.
Give it another go. Older stuff is starting to be far more common and they are pushing the newer stuff out of the center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I am more or less joking, but I do hate American cars. People in Land Rovers drive like douche bags off road just as much as Jeeps probably. That being said, I ride my bike to work at least once a week, which is about 12 miles each way, and I noticed that it is typically people driving American cars and BMW's that get way too close. Probably just a coincidence, but it happens enough for me to notice. f

------ Follow up post added February 4th, 2014 09:22 AM ------

Also, this makes me laugh.

http://theweek.com/article/index/248...-biggest-jerks
Actually, it is BMW and Prius owners. This was posted here before.
http://jalopnik.com/science-confirms...wor-1120783177
Old February 4th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I am more or less joking, but I do hate American cars. People in Land Rovers drive like douche bags off road just as much as Jeeps probably. That being said, I ride my bike to work at least once a week, which is about 12 miles each way, and I noticed that it is typically people driving American cars and BMW's that get way too close. Probably just a coincidence, but it happens enough for me to notice. f

------ Follow up post added February 4th, 2014 09:22 AM ------

Also, this makes me laugh.

http://theweek.com/article/index/248...-biggest-jerks
funny! - I remember when BMWs (and Mercedes for that matter) were somewhat exclusive. Now these cars are like a poster-child for the Prole Drift theory. I used to be the biggest Bimmer fan. First car was a roundie, had a restored 3.0CSi until I got into Rovers and many more memorable/cultish BMWs in between. When Chris Bangle vomited all over the styling I knew my love affair was over. THis article just confirms it. It's just nice to see that BMW has ousted Porsche as "the dickhead car dujour", although I have affectionately named my Cayenne "The Douchmobile" because you seem to be universally hated when driving a Porsche.

Found it interesting that the article noted that drivers of most high-end cars were the most likely to "offend". Probably an entitlement thing I guess.

Mostly though, I'm reminded of the saying "you simply can't charge enough". It used to be that usually there was some correlation with maturity, age, earning capacity and hence one's ability to purchase a fast car, exotic car etc. That's why you never saw some asshat hooning a new '88 M5 back in the day. That definately does not hold true today when all one needs is a faint pulse and a 2-year credit history to purchase a $75,000 car. Then when you consider that a new Mustang or Camaro or whatever costs around, what $30,000....it's no mystery why we see 21-28 year olds pulling this shit. I was definately NOT mature enough to have 400+HP when I was 21!

(I also though the same thing as TJFSlaughter with regard to blue-mustang-guy's insurance company seeing the video)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2014, 01:31 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
funny! - I remember when BMWs (and Mercedes for that matter) were somewhat exclusive. Now these cars are like a poster-child for the Prole Drift theory. I used to be the biggest Bimmer fan. First car was a roundie, had a restored 3.0CSi until I got into Rovers and many more memorable/cultish BMWs in between. When Chris Bangle vomited all over the styling I knew my love affair was over. THis article just confirms it. It's just nice to see that BMW has ousted Porsche as "the dickhead car dujour", although I have affectionately named my Cayenne "The Douchmobile" because you seem to be universally hated when driving a Porsche.

Found it interesting that the article noted that drivers of most high-end cars were the most likely to "offend". Probably an entitlement thing I guess.

Mostly though, I'm reminded of the saying "you simply can't charge enough". It used to be that usually there was some correlation with maturity, age, earning capacity and hence one's ability to purchase a fast car, exotic car etc. That's why you never saw some asshat hooning a new '88 M5 back in the day. That definately does not hold true today when all one needs is a faint pulse and a 2-year credit history to purchase a $75,000 car. Then when you consider that a new Mustang or Camaro or whatever costs around, what $30,000....it's no mystery why we see 21-28 year olds pulling this shit. I was definately NOT mature enough to have 400+HP when I was 21!

(I also though the same thing as TJFSlaughter with regard to blue-mustang-guy's insurance company seeing the video)

It is because cars are built too flipping good these days and are cheap for what you get. A couple of years old but: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...orsepower.html Like you said, lots of cars with HP for cheap.

The first crazy fast car I drove was in college. My girlfriend (now my wife) had her mom's Saab 9000 Turbo at school for a semester when we were seniors. 175HP doesn't sound like much now but that car surprised the hell out of me more than once. Saabs were the cheaper of the Euro brands and they car retailed in the high 20's in '88 (goggled). The M5 you mentioned was probably twice that cost wise which was insane money and for what 250HP? And all these new cars have traction control, ABS, airbags, etc. That Saab 9000 and especially my 900 Turbo weren't so easy on you when you got loose. Not to mention those cars were temperamental. I always let the turbo run down, and changed the oil frequently (for the turbo) and watching how I shifted as the gearboxes were a little weak. Point is, we had to really learn how to drive and care for them but I think we enjoyed the lower HP numbers a lot more.

Before Defenders I had Audi's. I ended up with an B6 Audi S4 with 340HP. I remember one romp where I hit 120MPH and it had plenty more skinny left - which still blows me away. On the Audi message boards the owners that actually tracked their cars always said the best modification was a "track day with an instructor" And when I traded my S4 in on an NAS 90, the dealer said it was going to his friend's son who was 18 (I still think "WTF?" years later).
Old February 4th, 2014, 01:52 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
BMW drivers are pretty bad, I also have disdain for the people putzing around in their Prii
Old February 4th, 2014, 01:59 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
BMW drivers are pretty bad, I also have disdain for the people putzing around in their Prii

Fixed it for you: BMW drivers are pretty bad, I also have disdain for the people putzing around in their Pious.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat