Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 25th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Changing paint color?

Has anyone here ever changed paint color on a 90? Not sure that I ever would, but I keep thinking how cool a NAS 90 would look in desert tan or khaki (with black steelies, Mmmmm)... It seems that it would be quite a chore since so much interior paint would have to be changed as well.
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2008, 11:08 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

ECR does these. You can check thier website for examples. Here's one: http://www.eastcoastrover.com/153.html

It looks like doing it right would be quite a chore...
Old January 25th, 2008, 11:31 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm going to change the color on my 110 when I rebuild it, but I'm not telling my color, its a secret.

It would be a lot of work, but stripping the interior is not hard, just a lot of stuff. The biggest problem is the front of the bulkhead because its got so much stuff, including wiring, attached to it.

I will offer you this complete list of LR colors, so you can browse them though.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LR Colour Codes.pdf (37.3 KB, 1760 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2008, 11:53 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

I'm going to change the color on my 110 when I rebuild it, but I'm not telling my color, its a secret.

I think an Arles blue 110 looks great!

Mine was origanally a dark blue under the red.. I'll have to save up a long time to get it repainted.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old January 25th, 2008, 11:58 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I will offer you this complete list of LR colors, so you can browse them though.
Jim: Thanks for posting the color list.

I'm wondering, is that very first black, (the 40% gloss LRC.399), the color originally used on NAS bumpers, rear crossmembers and (D-90) cages ?
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:08 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I really dont know about the black color.

Here is a list of special edition rovers, its got a lot of lame stuff, but its a great way to browse colors.

http://aebergon.club.fr/Land_Rover/page_Land_Rover.htm

There are some cool ones, like the "matt libyan sand."

I just can't reveal my color pick - I had to think for a long time to come up with something suitable that hadnt been done by someone around here or ECR.

Old January 25th, 2008, 12:28 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Pink? Oh wait I've seen the Mary Kay D90.. Hmmmm Limestone? Nahhhh
Maybe we should start a pool to guess what color Jim paints his 110, the winner gets ... to be ahhh... The winner?

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old January 25th, 2008, 01:04 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Having done many, my advice is don't do it.

If you plan for resale down the road a custom color is usually the kiss of death and the costs to do a correct full color change (and even just the paint costs and time if you DIY) are out the window. There are tons of things that will come up that you aren't thinking about and it will end up a huge project.

Just my.02 after doing dozens.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old January 25th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Having done many, my advice is don't do it.

If you plan for resale down the road a custom color is usually the kiss of death and the costs to do a correct full color change (and even just the paint costs and time if you DIY) are out the window. There are tons of things that will come up that you aren't thinking about and it will end up a huge project.

Just my.02 after doing dozens.

I was waiting for you to chime in Mike Eventhough I will never sell, I would probably never do it unless for some reason major paint work had to be done anyway. Maybe someday when I get my fantasy series Rover I can paint it Khaki.......
Old January 25th, 2008, 02:10 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris
ECR does these. You can check thier website for examples. Here's one: http://www.eastcoastrover.com/153.html

It looks like doing it right would be quite a chore...
I've seen that truck a few times at the local indy shop here in Houston. If that is what I can expect when I eventually send mine in to get done right by Mike then it'll be worth every penny. That 90 looks incredible in person.
Old January 25th, 2008, 02:16 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins

Quote:
Here is a list of special edition rovers, its got a lot of lame stuff, but its a great way to browse colors.

http://aebergon.club.fr/Land_Rover/page_Land_Rover.htm
I don't know how much I would trust that information. I don't speak French but I do have a Holland & Holland edition Range Rover and for sure the information on that page is incorrect. First, they were available as a 2000 model...some ended up as '01s...not '97 and '98 and the color is Tinturn Green...not Willow or Epsom and third it was available afaik worldwide as only a 4.6L petrol - no TD option. And the picture on the website is not an H&H.
Old January 25th, 2008, 02:21 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieD90
I don't know how much I would trust that information.
I dont care how accurate it is, I just like looking at all the pretty pictures. I'm easy to please!

Old January 25th, 2008, 02:23 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieD90
I've seen that truck a few times at the local indy shop here in Houston. If that is what I can expect when I eventually send mine in to get done right by Mike then it'll be worth every penny. That 90 looks incredible in person.

Many thanks... and to think I fired the painter who did that car for not being up to my standards.
Man I'm a pain in the a$$.
We have a different painter now that is even better than that guy was and new things on the horizon to make the paint work here even better yet again.

Old January 25th, 2008, 02:36 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
totally off topic - but Mike, what number is Chrispy - I'd like to add it to my little home-brewed 110 registry. I might not have all of them, but I'll have all the ones that matter!

Old January 25th, 2008, 02:42 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Many thanks... and to think I fired the painter who did that car for not being up to my standards.
Man I'm a pain in the a$$.
We have a different painter now that is even better than that guy was and new things on the horizon to make the paint work here even better yet again.
While I don't have any plans on changing color it will probably need some attention beyond the usual work that's necessary but that's good to hear. It'll be a while...but eventually I'll be able to send it up to get the "I'm keeping it forever treatment"

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
I dont care how accurate it is, I just like looking at all the pretty pictures. I'm easy to please!
LOL...me too. I just meant if you wanted a specific color because of some history do a little more research than what you'll find there.

I think the Tinturn Green on my H&H would look pretty cool on a 110
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kevinc2a.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	11836  
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:08 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Lotus Autumn Gold JimC?
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:46 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
ECR needs to have their own cable show, without the made up drama add-on. Restoration projects in HD...NICE!
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:52 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

We got approached for a reality show, but when I told them everyone in the shop got along well and that we just built trucks all day long and then they went away.

I doubt it was real anyway as I bet everybody and their brother is pitching all kinds of reality shows to networks.

Old January 25th, 2008, 03:58 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
No drama...no show...damn! Any vertically challenged mechanics? Oh wait, Jesse James already did that. Need to have a Defender owner with REALLY deep pockets who continues to reck their Defender...maybe that might work.
Old January 25th, 2008, 04:00 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
totally off topic - but Mike, what number is Chrispy - I'd like to add it to my little home-brewed 110 registry. I might not have all of them, but I'll have all the ones that matter!
64 if I recall. I could be wrong. I'll check.

I have been feeding 110 info to the LRFAQ for a year or so now and I started posting the NAS 110 # in our work on the web a few projects ago so future buyers can keep track of what we did to what and if it was wrecked or what.
You can't believe how many "just serviced by ECR" lines I see in ebay adds and such for trucks I've never seen so I hope by putting the NAS # on the web site potential buyers can see if those claims are real or not.
If you want a posted NAS 110 registry I would be happy to host it.

Recently we have fully restored:
and we went through #1 a few years ago and it was cherry.

48 got turned into a Hi-Cap PU that since burnt (was built pre-oil line upgrade knowledge).

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
a Defender owner with REALLY deep pockets who continues to reck their Defender...maybe that might work.
I have a number of those!!!!!!!

We have one 97 D90 that comes back annually for semi-serious accident damage. Its nutz.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
paint