Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 17th, 2017, 09:13 AM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Changing out MOD Convoy switch & lights

I've got a Tithonus stripped down and have never done a complete light change on one of these so had a few questions. The convoy light knob which controls all lights on the Tithonus is what I'm mainly curious about. I'm planning an LED light swap on all rear and front lights which isn't that challenging but I'm really not sure about this convoy knob. Wondering if I need to completely replace that set up with something else (and if so...what?). Or do I continue to use that knob and wiring and just swap out all the lights. I'll be using a TD5 center dash facia and if need be I'd plan on just using one of the holes in the facia for the convoy knob to continue using it for all lights.

I'd prefer some alternatives to the convoy knob all together so if a new wire harness of sorts is the solution I'd like info on that as well.

On another note, I saw these on fleabay and wondered if anyone used them before when swapping out the old bullet style to upgrade to the plug friendly LED lights.
4 Set 2 Ways Connector Plug for Land Rover Defender 300Tdi Td5 Tdci Light US | eBay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2017, 04:41 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

My convoy knob remains in tact, but it lives behind the center console., hidden from view. I bought a civilian light switch, plugged it and voila, all works like a civy truck.

There are a few threads about this very switch. Some say that they simply disconnected the switch, while others needed to jumper part of the harness where the switch plugs in to. I wasn't happy with any of the jumpers I could make with aftermarket bullet connectors and didn't want to buy a $60 bullet crimper. And everything worked with the switch still installed, so I kept it as original as possible.

On a side note, you'll need this if you don't already have it. Don't use a civilian wiring diagram with an EXMOD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	90_&_110_FFR_wiring.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	245362   Click image for larger version

Name:	90_FFR_wiring_key.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	348.6 KB
ID:	245370  

Old May 17th, 2017, 04:49 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Jumpering is easier. Everyone should buy a stock of bullets from the UK as most connections use them. You can buy the solder style. No crimper required. The bullets are cheap and easy to fit.

Autosparks - Bullets & Connector Sleeves - Electrical Components

Never try and use bullet found in the US stores. They are the wrong size. The ones above will fit properly and click in.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2017, 07:07 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Jumpering is easier. Everyone should buy a stock of bullets from the UK as most connections use them. You can buy the solder style. No crimper required. The bullets are cheap and easy to fit.

Autosparks - Bullets & Connector Sleeves - Electrical Components

Never try and use bullet found in the US stores. They are the wrong size. The ones above will fit properly and click in.
I
Britishwiring.com is the US OF A supplier of autosparks things.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht, lights, mod, switch