CB Suggestions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 30th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

CB Suggestions

Need a CB for the Nevada Trophy and I was wondering what people are running out there. CB and antenna combos would be a help. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

There is a CB store in the valley, can't remember his name. Also one in Downtown LA. Call the HAM RADIO OUTLET in Burbank and ask them for the CB guys phone. Better to get a pro to set up your first one, tune the antenna, etc. Get something flexible, that can bend under a pine branch!

Doug W.
Old November 30th, 2004, 02:38 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Lots of people use Cobra and Uniden. These can be found at Radio Shack and other specialty CD shops. I like the Galaxy line myself. Right now I have a Cobra hand-held unit with external truck mounted antenna in my 90 and just don't like the set up. Planning on another Galaxy. Just for kicks, make sure you get one with external speaker capability, and PA system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I have a fire stick antenna, bends good and is easy to tune, I also have el cheapo CB mounted under the dash, works fine on the trail, doesn't seem to mind being rained on or the occasional splash of mud, and I leave the top and doors off all the time and no one has made an attempt to steal it! I put the power on an auto plug so I can take it out easy using the swivel mount it came with.
Old November 30th, 2004, 03:01 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I bought a K-40 and run it with a Uniden CB. The k-40 antenna has a lifetime warranty, even if you break it, all you have to have is the stub that twists into the coax. You can take it to any K-40 dealer and they'll do the replacement too, not just the original store.
Good luck in the trophy!
Old November 30th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

I have the small Uniden, can't remember the model number. Has the PA option (I have yet to mount the bullhorn) and supposedly it's internal speaker is rated best of all CBs. Just doesn't scan, is the only drawback. I have the 4 foot super-slim fiberglass antenna from Wilson.
Old November 30th, 2004, 04:29 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P
Need a CB for the Nevada Trophy and I was wondering what people are running out there. CB and antenna combos would be a help. Thanks.
I went with a 75 WSXT CB in my 95 D90. The install worked well with the OEM cubby too. If you have Tuffy or a 97 console this CB is still a nice option. Here's a link to the install.

As for an antenna I would go with a Firestick II FS4 in situations that don't involve you wheeling through forested areas. They posses a solid fiberglass core so they’re pretty ridged but are completely tunable so you can adjust your SWR. However, if you do plan on "pushing brush" then I'd go with a whip antenna, which is also tunable. They’re extremely pliable and can with stand plenty of stress.

Here’s a link on how to set your SWR. You can either purchase such a meter or go to a local CB store and have them tune it for you. Good Luck.

DJ
Old November 30th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I second the K40 with the tunable tip. I broke mine backing out of my garage, they gave me a new one. That easy. The tunable tip is why I bought it, though. There is an allen set screw that you loosen and you can extend/retract the tip in seconds to achieve the best tuning. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. As for CB's, the cheap radio shack will work just as well as the expensive ones if tuned right. I got a Cobra, something like the 25wsx or something, that has "soundtracker" (close to that) that really takes the hiss out of the signal. I got mine, though, for like $25 w/o the power cord and just bought a replacement cord (sometimes Best Buy is the right place!)--I always look for deals like that.
Old December 1st, 2004, 09:42 AM
nickt
Nick Taylor
1998 Ex-Camel Trophy 110

Registry
I have a two Uniden CBs. I have a PRO-538W mounted internally on the cage in one of the 90s, and a PRO-520XL which will be mounted on the raised bit on the A/C unit in front of the shifter, it's a very compact unit. I pair them with a Firestick of different lengths, depending on if the trail is heavily wooded or more open (a longer one in the open). I recommend them. I got them from Alf Enterprises, http://www.alfenterprises.com/, who were very helpful.

Set them up right and they're great. Also a handheld unit can be useful for spotting, etc. and makes a great backup if one of your group doesn't have a mobile unit.

Finally, apparently , a linear amp works wonders with range on a well tuned rig. We've used these out in the desert to great effect. Not that they're legal in most places...

Nick.
Old December 1st, 2004, 10:55 AM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Thank you everyone for the replies. I am feeling good that I won't make a uneducated choice.
Old March 26th, 2005, 09:44 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

cobra or uniden

I was going to get a Cobra 75 wx st, but I stopped in at the Radio Service Store in Denver and they told me that this was a piece of junk (they do sell it, but do not recommend). The reasons sited were that the heat sink on the circut board is weak (they claimed that they have seen many of these fail), there is no RF gain, and that you can not hear it.

When I asked what they recommend they said the Uniden Pro520xl.

I would like to hear what those of you that have the Cobra think. I plan on using this to communicate while on the trail.

I plan on getting the firestik fs3 to complete the package.

What is your input?
Old March 27th, 2005, 07:01 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

keep in mind these cb shops cater to truckers. I spent $40 on my low end midland cb 8 yrs ago - its still works just fine. You can also spend over $100 if you want to - but its still a CB, same frequencies and still limited to a legal 5w output.
Ext speaker option is the only feature of mine and one of these days I'm actually going to hook one up so I can hear better.
Old March 27th, 2005, 09:08 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Yeah, if you're using it on the trail then you're talking to someone no further than 100yds or so away, there's no need for something all that beefy. Now if you're in a ST and want to get water resistant I understand, but really you just need an antenna that can take getting smashed on and tossed around. Whatever you do get one with a warranty cause you'll end up catching it on something, sometime, somewhere.
Also, ext. speaker is something I hadn't thought of Scott, but I'll definately be looking into that for my next purchase. Right now I have a 20 year old one that a guy at work gave me-just my price. It works fine for my trail runs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat