Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 12th, 2005, 10:04 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
CB Radios

Where is a good place to by a cb and antenna? Also, how do I know how long of an antenna to get?

Randy
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Randy,

There's a place on Essex St in Lodi that sells CB stuff. All kinds of antennas, CBs, Ham Radios, custom mounting stuff. It's the strip mall next to the Hess (I think) gas station by the entrance to I80.

I use a 4' firestick on the disco and it works well. Goodluck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 12th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Most truck stops have a decent selection, too. I would use the longest antenna you can fit without breaking it off in parking garages or on trees.
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2005, 11:05 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm
they have a wealth of information on their site, enough to make your head spin. They recommend that the antenna be 2' above the vehicle or clear of any object you mount it to/next to. The important part is the ground. Mounting it on a defender is tough because there are not to many good grounds. I mounted mine to my Mantec tire carrier, thinking because it was bolted to the rear cross member it was grounded. Mantec uses plastic bushing in the hinges, which kills the ground. I ended up running a separate ground wire from the antenna to the cassis. The SWR (standing wave ratio) meter reading are now on point (between 1 and 1.5), before I redid the ground the needle wanted to shoot off the meter.
As far as CB's go I use the Cobra 75 WX, it a self contained unit. It works fine and is ultra compact.
A spring stud mount is highly recommended, and a "whip" antenna is dangerous on the trail, get a tunable fiberglass one.
Old August 12th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Also, when buying a CB, make sure that it will hold the channel when turned off...that way you don't have to reset the CB every time you start the truck. I have had good success with Uniden CBs. Don't go cheap on the antenna. An inexpensive CB with a good antenna will outperform a good CB with a cheap antenna. I have a Wilson antenna and I really like it. It is tuned by moving a small piece in the antenna tip up and down and locking it in place with a set screw...much better than the cheap antennas that you set by trimming the wire.
Rob
Old August 12th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Buy any CB you like, they all only put out 4 watts, it's regulated by the FCC (unless you tune it yourself to get more power ). And like Rob said get a good antenna, mount it very well also that it gets a good ground. Fire sticks are great, but a 1/4 wave legnth (102") whip will work better then just about anything except a few cases where a 7 foot firestick will work better.
Old August 12th, 2005, 02:18 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am going to mount it on the rear tire carrier about half way up the body.. what lenght firestik?
Old August 12th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
I am going to mount it on the rear tire carrier about half way up the body.. what lenght firestik?
How far can it stick above the cage and not be a problem for you?
Old August 12th, 2005, 02:28 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
what do people do? 1 or 2 feet?
Old August 12th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Mine is 2 or 3 feet, but I think I am going to put a 102" whip on it as I don't have to park in any garages and I like the way they work, my 90 just came with the 2 or 3 foot Firestick. I think some of the Wilson's are collapsible if garages are the problem.
Old August 12th, 2005, 03:05 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
is that 2-3 feet above the roof Mike? I want to set up mine before we go wheelin again...
Old August 12th, 2005, 03:10 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I've found that Bill's 2-way (www.bills2way.com) is an excellent place to get information on CB radios and his prices are very competitive. I'm about to install a Cobra 75wxst radio in my truck with a 4 foot Firestick.

I might use the antenna mount on the ARB bumper using one of the Firestick quick disconnect mounts.
Old August 12th, 2005, 03:31 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Randy here is a shot of my 4' tire mounted firestik antenna, it's 2' over the truck's roof. It simply unscrews from the spring mounted stud, very easy to remove to get into a garage. I only have the antenna on when I'm wheeling, it's too much trouble for me to take it on and off 4 times a day. If you do run it like me, you will need to run a seperate ground (no big deal)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	3551  
Old August 12th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Nope, thats 2-3 feet total, it's not above the cage really at all. It's fine when everyone is in a line and relatively close, but it doesn't seem to get very far and thats why I need to get a longer antenna.
Old August 12th, 2005, 04:12 PM
d901560
Brian B
94 ST

I recently installed a Cobra 75wxst. It has all the CB controls on the handset which plugs into a remote box that the power leads & antenna plug into. I mounted the remote box inside the center console and ran the power wires to the stereo. My stereo has CD changer controls, so I used an adaptor to connect the external speaker output on the CB to the existing car stereo so it will be loud. I can also use the adaptor to connect the iPod. The handset bracket is mounted to the dash. The handset can be unplugged and brought inside when not in use or locked in the console. It's been too hot to wheel down here, but I'm looking forward to trying it out this fall. I still need an antenna. I'm planning to get one from a CB shop so they can tune it. I've been told that the antenna is the most important part.

Brian
Old August 12th, 2005, 06:16 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
does anyone have one of the cheaper $50 Uniden units or should I spring for the Cobra 75wxst ? Will that work fine with the Firestik?
Old August 12th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I've been running a Uniden 520XL for several years...we have them in all 3 Rovers and they work well. I orignally located my antenna on the back body by the license plate. I found the performance unsatisfactory unless I used a really long antenna to clear the roof by several feet but those kept breaking and getting hung up off road and would really beat against the rain gutter. i moved the antenna mount to the top of the A-Bar and I have much better reception with a reasonable length antenna.
Rob
Old August 12th, 2005, 08:35 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
does anyone have one of the cheaper $50 Uniden units or should I spring for the Cobra 75wxst ? Will that work fine with the Firestik?
No reason why it wouldn't work.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 13th, 2005, 12:26 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I have the cheapest Uniden, the 510 pro, most of the CB's out there are made by Uniden and repackaged. If you search froogle you can fiund them for around $10 +shipping.
Old August 13th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Radioshack (and others) sell SWR Meters that you use to adjust your antenae length. Personally, I run the KB antenae which I feel is one of the best on the market and has an adjustable tip (an allen screw loosens and you can extend the tip or retract it to get the best meter reading). This is the best way to have a great CB. Antenaes and CB's be damned, the real deal is in the tuning.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
radio