Carfax exempt from odometer reporting - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 15th, 2014, 08:30 PM
mlorman
Mark Lorman
95 ST #2782

Carfax exempt from odometer reporting

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a vehicle exempt from DMV odometer reporting? The carfax shows mileage of 22 in 1997 and nothing since. In 08, carfax says "Exempt from odometer reporting" Same in 2011, 12 and 13. When titled in 97, carfax says "titled or registered as a corporate vehicle"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2014, 09:08 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
In Arkansas anything over I think 10 years is exempt from odometer reporting. Instead of miles it will say odo exempt on the title or registration.

I got into an argument at a dealership over this once. They tried to tell me I had a "branded" title and wanted to give me salvage value for the car I was trying to trade.
Old February 15th, 2014, 09:14 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlorman View Post
Has anyone ever seen or heard of a vehicle exempt from DMV odometer reporting? The carfax shows mileage of 22 in 1997 and nothing since. In 08, carfax says "Exempt from odometer reporting" Same in 2011, 12 and 13. When titled in 97, carfax says "titled or registered as a corporate vehicle"
I know in several states that if a car is 10 years or older it is exempt from reporting mileage for state title purposes. However, that does not prevent any repair shop or dealer that contracts with CarFax from reporting mileage. Many, many of the CarFax mileage reports are not from state DMV's but other sources...

2 of my cars are over 10 years old and both titles read "exempt" under mileage...but this is Oklahoma, we still shoot first....then say "come in"...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2014, 09:29 PM
DannyboyUpstate
Danny Harrington
1983 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
In Arkansas anything over I think 10 years is exempt from odometer reporting. Instead of miles it will say odo exempt on the title or registration.

Same here in New York
Old February 15th, 2014, 09:38 PM
kevincdoyle
Kevin C. Doyle
1995 NAS D90 Coniston Green SW

Registry
Having said that however, I would be a bit concerned that any 90 has not been to a CarFax reporting facility in almost 2 decades!!

Jus' sayin...

"I actually like to paint some of my smaller parts......"
Old February 15th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Bigdoh
Brian
94 D90 #1642

When I got the title for my 90 in October, was initially concerned when it read exempt under mileage. Discovered Texas is one of those states that vehicles of a certain age do not report mileage on titles.
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:10 PM
mlorman
Mark Lorman
95 ST #2782

Here is a copy of the carfax

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-897053625.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	481.6 KB
ID:	89751
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:32 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

10 years is federal exempt. In PA they will but do not require you to get an exempt title.
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:36 PM
mlorman
Mark Lorman
95 ST #2782

I get the 10 year exempt thing, but there has not been mileage reported to Carfax since the initial reading of 22 miles in 1997. Shouldn't there be some entry's logged? The truck has low mileage and i need to be able to validate the odometer.
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:37 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
I get the 10 year exempt thing, but there has not been mileage reported to Carfax since the initial reading of 22 miles in 1997. Shouldn't there be some entry's logged? The truck has low mileage and i need to be able to validate the odometer.
Some states do not have inspection or do not report miles for inspection. You have to investigate further.
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:39 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
call the dealers where it's been serviced and get them to validate the mileage in the service records.

I would also pull the speedo and check it hasn't been replaced ... Very common for that to happen.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:40 PM
mlorman
Mark Lorman
95 ST #2782

Dealer records pulled, show very little.
I am going to try the utah DMV monday AM.
Old February 16th, 2014, 12:09 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

So what if that draws a blank?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 16th, 2014, 12:12 AM
mlorman
Mark Lorman
95 ST #2782

Trucks not cheap. Probably pass on it
Old February 16th, 2014, 10:11 AM
mlorman
Mark Lorman
95 ST #2782

Would having it titled as a corporate vehicle have anything to do with it?

------ Follow up post added February 16th, 2014 07:12 AM ------

Would the original owner having it titled as a corporate vehicle have anything to do with it?
Old February 16th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
In MD Most Car Dealer will be the official Certification. ( even if the current title says EXEMPT

For example:

You buy the car from a Private, if you go to DMV by yourself, they will automatically continue with the Exemption on the New Title and the Reporting to CarFax / AUtocheck

BUT

If you do the paperwork through a dealer ( in here we also have to have a Sate Inspection on your transaction ), so the Inspection Station writes the miles, then the Dealer Certify the mileage on the Title Application and VOILA, now your mileage shows up.

Maybe that is applicable in your state as well.

From my past experiences
NY
FL
UT

Don't give a crap and mark EXEMPT no matter what
Old February 16th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Corporate Ownership doesn't matter, the guy likely just titled it in his business name for tax purposes, 50% of cars I sell get titled in my customer's business name.

Don't let the lack of mileage reported scare you, many facilities don't report to Carfax for a number of reasons, including our store. In fact, if you pull a carfax on my RR, you'll probably not see anything except the mileage reported when I bought it and it was re-titled to me. I always service it at our dealer and so did the previous owner. IL allows you to renew plates online, the only possible report would be from Emissions Testing, which many states/areas don't have, and here, only occurs every few years starting after the vehicle is 5yrs old, so I think mine has been tested once...

Bottom line is, Carfax can both help and hurt, and it is by no means the ultimate authority in anything. There are many mistakes made, and reports that really shouldn't exist, or should at least be more clearly defined.

In short, look the truck over, if there is nothing else that makes you suspect, buy it and enjoy it. Let's face it, if the truck looks like it has 20k, drives like it has 20k, and you have no evidence otherwise that will impact it's value in the future, then go for it, you're more than likely buying a legit truck, and even if you weren't, with no evidence to the contrary, who cares...?!?!

That's my $.02
Old February 16th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
I have purchased several vehicles from other states that have some form of "exempted" mileage on the title from the state of purchase. Ohio requires an "out of state titled vehicle inspection" which is a VIN and mileage verification by an hourly License Bureau employee who has you read the VIN as they write it down and then asks you what the mileage is. When you take the "inspection certificate" to the title bureau (different government office) to get an Ohio title, they enter the information, including mileage on the title. All of my Ohio titles have included mileage, including one from Illinois that noted "unavailable or beyond the mechanical limits". When I asked about this, the title bureau employee stated, " we always have to show mileage". My take is they need to fill in the blank regardless of the accuracy. This leaves a glaring issues for anyone willing to manipulate the system. Especially for imported vehicles with no car fax mileage history or vehicles with long term owners who didn't bring them to a shop for service.

I could be jaded, but I don't trust the mileage on the title for anything short of a newer vehicle.and look at the condition. It is too easy to transfer from state to state and manipulate the systems.

Makes me wonder about the defenders that have made the multi state circuit all the more.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat