Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 13th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Car Insurance Options for ROW trucks

Can anyone recommend a car insurance for a ROW truck? I'm looking at Hagerty right now for an agreed value of $25K and they're quoting me at $439 yearly.

What's everyone using?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2012, 02:16 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

State Farm.
Old November 13th, 2012, 02:28 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
"stated value insurance"

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=28915
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Guinto View Post
Can anyone recommend a car insurance for a ROW truck? I'm looking at Hagerty right now for an agreed value of $25K and they're quoting me at $439 yearly.

What's everyone using?

Thanks!
Thats dirt cheap. Keep in mind Hagerty's requires that you garage your vehicle in a lockable garage @ night. I recently had to switch from Allstate as they no longer will insure "grey market" vehicles. I tried to add my sons 110 and they said no. I responded by asking about the 130 and BMW/Baur/Alpina E30 already covered and the response was don't get in an accident. My agent was appoplectic as I walked out the door.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 13th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Thanks for the responses!

I apologize for the newbie move but I did search for "insurance" and did not get the same results as "stated value insurance". Thanks for the link!

Doug, Allstate is what I have on my other trucks but I didn't inquire with them yet. So they don't take gray market vehicles anymore? I do have access to a covered garage but these trucks are not really garage friendly. The garage is at my parent's house a few miles from me, I wonder if Hagerty would mind that.

Anywho... thanks again for the responses.

Old November 13th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
no garage no Hagerty was my understanding. Their insurance is for "limited use collectables"
ie they expect it to spend most of its time inside. That was a couple of years ago. Perhaps they have changed.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old November 13th, 2012, 03:29 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

I went through a lot of this and really couldn't get a clear answer from many insurance agencies about what would happen if a claim was needed. I got everything from "we'll use the book value" to "value will be determined at the time of the claim", a) its not in the book and b) yeah flipping right.

As stated above try to find a stated value (or even agreed value) policy, a 3rd party appraisal that you have had performed beforehand doesn't hurt either. Can you get USAA? if so there's your answer.
Old November 13th, 2012, 03:30 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Guinto View Post
Thanks for the responses!

I apologize for the newbie move but I did search for "insurance" and did not get the same results as "stated value insurance". Thanks for the link!

Doug, Allstate is what I have on my other trucks but I didn't inquire with them yet. So they don't take gray market vehicles anymore? I do have access to a covered garage but these trucks are not really garage friendly. The garage is at my parent's house a few miles from me, I wonder if Hagerty would mind that.

Anywho... thanks again for the responses.
Glenn,

As I have mentioned on here before. I have Chubb. PM me if you want to deal with my agent in White Plains. It is not the cheapest but the coverages are high.
Old November 13th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
ACE Private Risk Management

They will gladly give you " agreed value " of your choice

They normally require your entire portfolio, but they do not even care if the truck is on the NAD registry yet ( before title ).
Old November 13th, 2012, 04:23 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
no garage no Hagerty was my understanding. Their insurance is for "limited use collectables"
ie they expect it to spend most of its time inside. That was a couple of years ago. Perhaps they have changed.
When I signed up they had a few different options you could select when saying where it is stored, I clicked garage as mine stays in the garage. But I'm not sure how they can prove that he parks it outside or not since I doubt they will be doing drive bys his house to check (this is all assuming he has a garage he can park it in if he wanted too). But even if they were to come by and check, sometimes garage space is needed to do maintanence on other vehicles so it is bound to parked outside at some point. I don't see him having an issue with Hagerty so long as he isn't putting claims in.
Old November 13th, 2012, 04:48 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

I also use Chubb. They're the only ones who would give me an agreed-amount policy. Just had to send in pictures of my truck via email and they wrote the policy. Have been happy so far, but haven't had to make a claim either.
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
When I signed up they had a few different options you could select when saying where it is stored, I clicked garage as mine stays in the garage. But I'm not sure how they can prove that he parks it outside or not since I doubt they will be doing drive bys his house to check (this is all assuming he has a garage he can park it in if he wanted too). But even if they were to come by and check, sometimes garage space is needed to do maintanence on other vehicles so it is bound to parked outside at some point. I don't see him having an issue with Hagerty so long as he isn't putting claims in.
Hagerty required a phto of my 110 inside my garage.
Had to load the back with 500lbs of concreet blocks and deflate the tires to get it in there

Chubb is good but expensive. Use them for an umbrella policy, but hadn't thought of them for cars.
Old November 13th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thinking back I think Hagerty was the company where the underwriter turned me down because the "truck has a snorkle for driving in deep water" > I responded to the agent that it was a raised air intake to get less dusty air for the engine. Thats when the garage thing came up. The agent had my homeowners and knew my waterfront house didn't have a garage. That had to have been 5yrs ago. I'm sure they have changed since.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old November 14th, 2012, 12:14 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Hagerty required a phto of my 110 inside my garage.
Had to load the back with 500lbs of concreet blocks and deflate the tires to get it in there

Chubb is good but expensive. Use them for an umbrella policy, but hadn't thought of them for cars.
They didn't ask for a photo of it in my garage haha, i sent a pic of my father driving it with the door top off and a side shot, as they were the only pics of it i had at the time haha, they didn't have an issue, they required everyone in the household to be listed on policy whether they were named as a driver or not, i named everyone as a driver as everyone in the house wanted to drive it lol.
Old January 27th, 2014, 05:28 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
so, option Q here;

I had my 84 d90 listed with geico at a reasonable amount based on the value of the vehicle (non-existent by NADA standards).

What you can do with Geico (and almost any other insurance company that will give you a policy) is add 'Customizations' (that was the Geico term) to the vehicle.

Basically you can line item add retail items to the policy, for my truck I am going to add everything Dave puts on the truck line by line. I got the Value of the car (with customizations) up to around $14000. I mean it won't recoup the whole amount but would certainly give me the option to repair the defender should anything happen to it.

Food for thought...
Old January 27th, 2014, 05:45 PM
bigrichmanitoba
Dick Manitoba
No Rovers, Series or Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
so, option Q here;

I had my 84 d90 listed with geico at a reasonable amount based on the value of the vehicle (non-existent by NADA standards).

What you can do with Geico (and almost any other insurance company that will give you a policy) is add 'Customizations' (that was the Geico term) to the vehicle.

Basically you can line item add retail items to the policy, for my truck I am going to add everything Dave puts on the truck line by line. I got the Value of the car (with customizations) up to around $14000. I mean it won't recoup the whole amount but would certainly give me the option to repair the defender should anything happen to it.

Food for thought...
As always, you hit the nail on the head. Thanks Jtomchick!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
insurance