Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:54 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Car Ins. in the U.K.

Does anyone on the board have any experience with getting a British car insurance policy as a non resident with an American drivers Liscence. We can get on a relatives policy using their vehicles as a temporary driver but I want my own ins. policy. for my own U.K. registered vehicles. Any advice would be appreciated.
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2012, 01:00 AM
Xcelsius
Matt
89 D110

I think it's going to be a pricey thing to do. You can drive with the US license here for 12 months, but with the insurance companies your going to be viewed just like some unknown teenager with no driving history. They get charged over 1000-2000 pounds a year for vehicle insurance here. Today i'll ask another expat dude who's been here longer if there is any tricks to getting it cheaper.
Old January 24th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Xcelsius
Matt
89 D110

I talked to my expat coworker who has been here like 10 years. Its been a bit since he arrived, but he thinks you should be able to get reasonable rates. He had Geico and then switched to a UK company and had even lower costs. But he had a UK address and was living here for work. Not sure if it would work the same for you.

I have USAA and they have a branch in the UK so its sort of transparent I have not seen real snags. You might ask your stateside insurance company if they have some sort of way to provide coverage over here. That's the way my coworker started out and that's pretty much what I am doing. If you use a large enough company it may be doable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

hi Chris, i can give my insurer a ring for you when i'm in my office see what they say,
i'm insured with adrian flux with my 90 and they have been great.

regards all

Gren
Old January 25th, 2012, 12:38 AM
Whiesel
Eric Williamson
LR-90 300 tdi

I am also interested in ths. I keep a car in the UK and the insurers I have spoken to insist on a UK residency address.
Old January 25th, 2012, 01:03 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiesel View Post
I am also interested in ths. I keep a car in the UK and the insurers I have spoken to insist on a UK residency address.
How do they define "residency" address? Will any address do?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 25th, 2012, 08:06 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
I appreciate the help guys. I have gotten a temp. policy in my name in France previously, it took a lot of leg work but it worked out fine. This time I figured I would see if anyone else had a quicker way to getting a policy in the U.K.

Gren, that would be great if you could ask your policy holder and see what they say. Thanks

I have even looked into American companies insuring me overseas, they all say it would have to be my american registered vehicle for them to insure me.

I do appreciat any further advice or experiences anyone may have had with this.
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:07 PM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

I've done if before, a lot of companies will not insure you without a UK drivers licence and address. I managed to get insurance through Endsleigh but I had to buy it a year at a time. Cost me around $1200/year for a 200tdi Range Rover in London.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat