Car Fax - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 25th, 2007, 08:13 AM
matthewwcarey
Matthew Carey
95 D90 SW349

Car Fax

Anyone have a open car fax account and can do me a favor by running a VIN?

Thanks in advance,
Matthew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2007, 08:29 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewwcarey
Anyone have a open car fax account and can do me a favor by running a VIN?

Thanks in advance,
Matthew
when asking for a carfax you should not post the VIN number, now who ever runs that vin will have their account locked...
Old November 25th, 2007, 11:48 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Trevor, can you give more detail? Not sure I follow (what account would get locked and why?).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2007, 07:58 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Trevor, can you give more detail? Not sure I follow (what account would get locked and why?).
from what i understand (from other forums) people at carfax frequently search bulletin boards for people posting carfax requests, they then flag then VIN that has been posted so if an existing user runs carfax on it their account gets locked, now i don't know how they work it if coincidentally someone else is running a carfax on that vehicle...

I've only heard this from the people on bimmerforums, everytime someone posts a request the thread gets locked, i asked someone once and they told me thats why...
Old November 26th, 2007, 08:18 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Interesting. I guess they can look at the info you put under your public profile to see if it matches your carfax info, but other than that, it's certainly likely other people are looking up the f*ing VINs - it car is for sale after all!

charles
Old November 26th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
WHO THE F*CK CARES HOW MANY VINs I LOOK UP!?!?! I paid for unlimited VIN lookups for a month when I was looking at Defenders. They should mind their own bidnas!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old November 26th, 2007, 02:44 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Rescue
WHO THE F*CK CARES HOW MANY VINs I LOOK UP!?!?! I paid for unlimited VIN lookups for a month when I was looking at Defenders. They should mind their own bidnas!
Well.. duh.. it is their business..
They want people to sign up and look the VINs up on their own, using their own accounts, not one person with a paid account looking up 40000 VINs for 40000 people that may have signed up. LOL

It used to be a violation of the rules to use the service for other than your own requests, not anyone who asks you if I remember the TOS way back when I had an account.

Enforcing that I would imagine would be darn tough though but its easier for them to simply be a pain in the ass to you, lock your account and then you fight to get it reopened.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old November 26th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvonc
Well.. duh.. it is their business..
They want people to sign up and look the VINs up on their own, using their own accounts, not one person with a paid account looking up 40000 VINs for 40000 people that may have signed up. LOL
Um, I think we are talking a few extra VINs here and there, not 4000. I did it for a few guys when I had my account. I think Carfax has better things to do than scour the message boards blocking a VIN that some guy needs some help looking up. Now, if I am offering to look up VINs, that's another story, expecially if I charge a fee.

If it's so illegal, maybe it should be banned from this forum

Just food for thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old November 26th, 2007, 04:37 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Whoa, RELAX! Chris makes a valid point, Carfax is out to make money. If people shared their account with one other person, that means Carfax lost 50% profit. Simple economics. I'm sure if you were the owner of Carfax, you wouldn't be thrilled.

What was stated original by Trevor is simple common sense...

Nobody here has ever stated not to help each other out, just use common sense!

Quote:
Um, I think we are talking a few extra VINs here and there, not 4000. I did it for a few guys when I had my account. I think Carfax has better things to do than scour the message boards blocking a VIN that some guy needs some help looking up. Now, if I am offering to look up VINs, that's another story, expecially if I charge a fee.

Just food for thought.
Old November 26th, 2007, 05:31 PM
matthewwcarey
Matthew Carey
95 D90 SW349

Sorry

Sorry guys didn't mean to cause so much trouble. I belong to a RX-7 site and they have an entire forum for members helping other members with VIN info.

Thanks Matthew
Old November 26th, 2007, 06:04 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Um, I think we are talking a few extra VINs here and there, not 4000. I did it for a few guys when I had my account.
The number is irrelevant. You do it for a few guys and someone else does it for a few guys, and so on, for people who didnt have to buy accounts for themselves and as a result, CarFax is out those monies. Those "few guys" add up. Hell even I have asked for someone to run a Carfax for me but I dont go around promoting I bucked them out of $24.

Quote:
I dont know if its in fact illegal or not. I have always been on the edge on what to do about CarFax postings but as long as people ask smartly for help, and CarFax doesnt come down on the site for promoting illegal use, then I havent had a problem with it. Way back when I had an account, they specifically stated in the TOS that you were not to be sharing reports for other than your own use, but admittedly, that was a long time ago before consumers could do an "unlimited monthly use" plan.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewwcarey
Sorry guys didn't mean to cause so much trouble. I belong to a RX-7 site and they have an entire forum for members helping other members with VIN info.

Thanks Matthew
No worries Matthew.. If you can shoot me a link, I'd like to see it.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old November 26th, 2007, 07:51 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

i'd just like to say i have nothing against asking for help or giving it, i was just saying don't post then VIN bc a coulple of dudes i know on another board got their accounts locked up for doing it...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat