Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 3rd, 2007, 03:41 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Car and Drivers - 10 Vehicles for the Apocalypse

Interesting article...

When the apocalypse comes, be it a viral holocaust, rampant diabetes, or a plague that wipes out coffee crops, those on a month-long camping trip atop Mt. McKinley will return to face new challenges. Who will tend the farms? Plow the driveway? Empty the septic tank? The first step will be driving to the closest Wal-Mart to forage for canned goods, batteries, ammo, and Ho Hos.

Sure, the roads will be largely deserted, but there will be telephone poles strewn about, overturned trucks, lots of burning stuff, and a finite supply of fuel. And we can't forget other survivors whose embrace of pacifism surely lies between Himmler and Genghis Khan. And although the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse only feature four horsepower, they're probably pretty quick and scary looking, so you'll want something fast. What to drive?

Story continues

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2007, 03:46 PM
Monkeyboy

Given those choices, its a toss up between the Ferret and the DAF.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 03:50 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
The cycle and that RV is all you'd need!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2007, 01:12 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Did anyone see that fire engine that was converted into a bad-ass steel-plated RV in Australia? Wish I could find the link...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old August 4th, 2007, 02:30 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

No Defender or Unimog? hmmm lets see.... this article must be referring to the US only Apocalypse
Old August 4th, 2007, 09:10 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
Interesting article...

When the apocalypse comes, be it a viral holocaust, rampant diabetes, or a plague that wipes out coffee crops, those on a month-long camping trip atop Mt. McKinley will return to face new challenges. Who will tend the farms? Plow the driveway? Empty the septic tank? The first step will be driving to the closest Wal-Mart to forage for canned goods, batteries, ammo, and Ho Hos.

Sure, the roads will be largely deserted, but there will be telephone poles strewn about, overturned trucks, lots of burning stuff, and a finite supply of fuel. And we can't forget other survivors whose embrace of pacifism surely lies between Himmler and Genghis Khan. And although the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse only feature four horsepower, they're probably pretty quick and scary looking, so you'll want something fast. What to drive?

Story continues

Funny how that sound so similar to New Orleans after Katrina...before the 82nd Airborne showed up. But the looters were finished by they anyhow.

I'd look for a Stryker and a few like minded guys to ride in the back.
Old August 4th, 2007, 10:55 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
Funny how that sound so similar to New Orleans after Katrina...before the 82nd Airborne showed up. But the looters were finished by they anyhow.

I'd look for a Stryker and a few like minded guys to ride in the back.
I originally was thinking Mad Max movie, but I can see where you're going with that...
Old August 5th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Actually, they should have looked no further than what the Nat Guard uses during apocalyptic conditions. The high water trucks are just the thing. That list is really weak.

With the threat of global nuclear war off the radar screen, you don't see too much talk like this anymore. Those vehicles (save for the armored car) would not run with the disruption to the magnetic field. An article 20 years ago would have mentioned that fact.
Old August 5th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Monkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland
Those vehicles (save for the armored car) would not run with the disruption to the magnetic field. An article 20 years ago would have mentioned that fact.
Exactly the reasoning behne my choice of the Ferrett (no electronic ignition there) or the DAF (presuming a mechanical diesel fuel system).
Old August 5th, 2007, 10:32 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

i'd vote for a unimog converted to have living quaters and stuff on the back, that would be sweet.
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Armstrong
Exactly the reasoning behne my choice of the Ferrett (no electronic ignition there) or the DAF (presuming a mechanical diesel fuel system).
You guys beat me to it. That was my first thought. I always joke with my wife that I would be the only person driving around after the nuke.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

"Never sell short the ability to scale the roof of a Wienerschnitzel franchise. "

That's pretty funny.
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:34 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Janey

www.whereisjaney.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat