JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Car and Driver Defender War Article

Anyone post this yet?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/exclusi...ver-defenders/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2013, 03:59 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I wonder who the "sources" who said DrAaron was importing later defenders?
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:02 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

"That small population of Defenders also cultivated an enthusiast community, and they’ve pushed resale prices to shockingly high levels for what is essentially a glorified tractor."
"Meanwhile, nobody at either NHTSA or CBP could comment on the status of Aaron Richardet, the chiropractor. Several people in the Defender community have told us that “Doc Aaron” was running a business importing later-model Defenders; if that’s true, he’s likely facing trouble."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I wonder who the "sources" who said DrAaron was importing later defenders?
The internet. Everything is true on the internet.

Semper Fi!
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
The tractor line is priceless....

That was a decent article actually. This is the part that I found the most interesting (& would be of the highest concern if I had significant equities in this realm):

"They set up an office called Import Safety Commercial Targeting and Analysis Center, a very federal name for a joint project that let officials from CBP and these other agencies work in the same building and figure out how to best enforce import rules. Customs executives asked NHTSA what its pain points were with unauthorized vehicles coming into the country. The answer? Defenders."

Anytime you get a center setup like that you might as well switch to burner phones, pull batteries/SIM cards & not post on forums...like this one. Oh well.
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:34 PM
malaD90
Paul
1994 D90 ST

Registry
It is great knowing Homeland Security is saving us from illegal and unsafe Defenders.

I would much rather have my daughters driving my Defender around than a Smart Car, Fiat, Yaris, etc...............
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post

Ive seen 'The Wire' too. Surly someone has a 'cousin' at the port that can help out.

-Jeff
You would be amazed at how many folks who live in the darker shades of gray never have watched it. Or are to stupid to realize that's just the beginning of tradecraft.

Getting a cousin to help out is certainly feasible...but takes the consequences into a whole new level if you get caught!
Old May 14th, 2013, 05:09 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaD90 View Post
It is great knowing Homeland Security is saving us from illegal and unsafe Defenders.

I would much rather have my daughters driving my Defender around than a Smart Car, Fiat, Yaris, etc...............
Really? Wow ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 14th, 2013, 05:22 PM
malaD90
Paul
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Really? Wow ...
Yes. One is driving the D90 around today. I would hate to see them get plowed into by a Suburban, Escalade, or other large truck while driving a Smart Car.
Old May 14th, 2013, 05:41 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Yes. One is driving the D90 around today. I would hate to see them get plowed into by a Suburban, Escalade, or other large truck while driving a Smart Car.
I would hate to see one of those plow into anything.

However with zero side impact protection, no airbags and components designed 30 years ago any modern vehicle has to be the safer option in 99% of RTAs.

Smarts are built around a strong space frame type design that doesn't fold like a regular impacts zone ... they effectively bounce off ... They would stand side impact, rollover, rear ending ( better seats to avoid neck injuries ) much better than a landrover.

Defenders might look tough ... but they are rolling death traps compared to modern vehicles
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 14th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

As the article says, import a genuine rust bucket. Sell it and then the new owner can restore it to their liking.
Wonder if current restoration shops will stop the diesel conversions.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 14th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

Quote:
Smarts are built around a strong space frame type design that doesn't fold like a regular impacts zone ... they effectively bounce off ...
i saw a Tahoe broadside a Smart, Tahoe doing 20(ish) and Smart going a bit faster. i was shocked at how well it held up...granted it wasn't a high-speed disaster, the two people in the Smart popped right out and didn't seem to be injured at all.

i still wouldn't drive one over a Defender.
Old May 14th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
You think the no side impact bars, no roll over strength, no airbag D90 is going to do better? Really? Size does not automatically mean safer. "And, with not a crumple zone in sight, it's best not to consider what'd happen to a Defender in the event of a fast crash with something large and unyielding: a wall, say, or a Scotsman." - TopGear Magazine...

That was actually a pretty good blog/ article entry. Im kind of ambivalent to this whole thing. If you are breaking the law, Im of the opinion that you should pay for it. No mention, however, of the stolen truck ring rumor floating around.
Old May 14th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Ron Mexico
Ryan
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Which reminds me, did you ever hear Chauncey's cash for clunkers RRC ==> Smart car story?

-Jeff
no, do tell...
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:48 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

"If vehicle components overall look too new, they’ll reach out not only to NHTSA but even to Land Rover itself—which, officials say, has been helpful to a nearly unprecedented degree. "

This is the most telling comment to me. I'm sure it pisses Land Rover off that people are selling Pumas for huge profit here when they aren't allowed to. Wouldn't surprise me if they were the ones that encouraged the crack down to begin with.
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:51 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiftRover View Post
This is the most telling comment to me. I'm sure it pisses Land Rover off that people are selling Pumas for huge profit here when they aren't allowed to. Wouldn't surprise me if they were the ones that encouraged the crack down to begin with.
Nail on the head exact.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:23 PM
cjbenway
Chris Benway
1984 LR 90 ( Hedrick Rover )

Registry
Quote:
I would hate to see one of those plow into anything.

However with zero side impact protection, no airbags and components designed 30 years ago any modern vehicle has to be the safer option in 99% of RTAs.

Smarts are built around a strong space frame type design that doesn't fold like a regular impacts zone ... they effectively bounce off ... They would stand side impact, rollover, rear ending ( better seats to avoid neck injuries ) much better than a landrover.

Defenders might look tough ... but they are rolling death traps compared to modern vehicles
I have driven the "Smart Car". While I would not like having a side impact accident with my LR90, I would rather be in it than a Smart Car.
The smart car's cage it very good, however it leaves the occupant inside like broken grapes after a crash. (Watch some U-tube) There is no crumple zone, and you are relying soley on airbags.
You are also sitting low which means you are looking up at most cars. Not good for side impact.
Additionally there is no room behind your head, ....after I got used to driving it I forgot my head was practically touching the back windshield.
While it was fun, I felt vunerable. I"m sure a lot of cars are better than a defenders during a crash, but a smart car is pushing it.
Ill take the Defender.
Old May 14th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

I think it is a good article but what they say there is a demand for defenders so there will be always a black and grey market for them.
You can rebuild them over seas or on US soil but they can't stop it.
Old May 14th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
It is not about stopping a few grey market Defenders coming in and posing a danger to the security of the homeland, it is about justifying their existance. That and justifying the need a bigger budget next year.
Old May 15th, 2013, 12:12 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

We need to put this in perspective:

http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/repo...rticle/2527666

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat