Can't believe I am actually thinking about selling it... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 3rd, 2014, 05:31 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Can't believe I am actually thinking about selling it...

First off not sure this is even the proper place to post this but I am lightly kicking around the idea of selling my 110. I hate the thought of it but the reality of it is that I do not use it much anymore other than driving it daily and there is a BUNCH of stuff we could do with the money from it that we really need.

So to help me decide if it is worth selling I am asking for some honest feedback on what it might be worth.

Here is the link to my build thread- http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=3044

The story is she started out as a 1997 90LE. I bought it with a salvaged title. Title is now clean when I transferred it to Missouri. Drove it and wheeled it for a long time. Then decided to take it apart and convert it to a 110. Took 5 years and has been built for 2 years now.

Truck is great. I love everything about it.

Specs- original running gear- with approx. 90,000 miles- 4.0 gems
converted to R380
Front and rear ARB lockers
Safari Gard 3-link
Galvy chassis, t-posts, cappings
Bilstein 7100's
Lift
Custom ARB bumper with warn 8274 winch
Custom Disco II middle seat conversion
Custom storage racks for rear
Tuffy box
Rear sals disc conversion
custom rear swing away tire carrier
NAS Safety Devices cage
sunroof
Mantec snorkel
Zero rust
33" KM2
Many new parts etc.....

Runs and drives beautifully minus she burns and leaks a little oil since I did not rebuild the drive train during the rebuild.

So any insight you all can give me would be very much appreciated. I certainly know what other 110's of this caliber are going for but I am at a loss with this one since it is a conversion and given it's history etc...

I have attached the most current photo I have on my phone of the truck on a recent wheeling trip.

I am secretly hoping it is not worth that much so I won't end up selling it....
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rover.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	824.0 KB
ID:	102081  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 3rd, 2014, 05:37 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I'll take $500 to take it off your hands. Will that convince you to keep it?

If it doesn't, I'll be up this week to get it and the $500 will cover my fuel and lodging.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 05:40 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
nice truck. don't sell it.
help me understand though and before somebody else asks, what happens in order for a salvage title to become clean? Does that mean the state certified that it has been repaired with proper parts etc?

That's a lot of goodies on there and I know others will agree that if you want to see your money back, sell the mods separately. My guess is that the value would fall somewhere between an average NAS 90 and a nicer ROW 110, but below a NAS 110. $60s?

EDIT: I may recant that $60, that's a lot of nice work in that build thread, but who knows....its hard to sell modified trucks. As much as everyone salivates over them, the market is thin when the rubber hits the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 3rd, 2014, 05:40 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I'm pretty positive I can't even afford to post in this thread, but wow, wow.

I won't begin to speculate a price but that's a beautiful truck. I hate to be honest but I think you'll really regret selling it.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 05:43 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Within 20 minutes of selling my 1st 90 I regretted it. If you need the money then you do what you have to do. If you don't, don't.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 05:47 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Not sure about the title honestly. I just noticed when the title was transferred to Missouri no where did it say salvaged on there. So who knows exactly.

I have no doubt I will regret it terribly if I end up doing it but I need to explore the option. So I appreciate your time and as always I am open to honesty.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 07:00 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Honestly, if you have no car payments, why sell it to end up buying another later on?
Sometimes a simple budget will fix issues with patience.
I'm currently trimming another $400 from my monthly expenses to make ends meet.
The gratification from the sale of your Rover will be finite. But regret will be forever.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 07:02 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Use the truck that Dale - rovertrader - built for a board member as a reference point. I believe Dale bought it back from the board member after he built it for him and it broke or he lost interest (or both) and then Dale put it on eBay.

Add a few thousand to yours as Willow Green is a more desirable color, a D90LE title is worth more than a 1994 ST, I don't remember but I don't think the one Dale built was on a galvanized chassis (?), and yours was only salvaged once (haha).

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...t=46245&page=2
Old September 3rd, 2014, 07:37 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

You and only you can make the decision... List it high, see what happens. But, like others, you will regret selling it, maybe not the same day, but a month, 2 or 3 down the road...

We sold my wife"s 97 SW, and she misses it every day. But, at the time, and 4 kids, it was not the right vehicle. Now she wants another one, and they are $15K more...

If it helps, you can park it at my 'ouse for a few months before you decide what to do... :-)

Old September 3rd, 2014, 09:01 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Tyler... you're nuts ��

I'll come down and get it and well see how long it takes before you need it back... heck I'll even leave you the 90 ��
Old September 3rd, 2014, 09:12 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

I know I am nuts to think about it and I already regret just the thought of it.....

I swore I would never even think about it but life has this way of changing things you know?

It is gonna take a lot for me to sell it. Just trying to get a ballpark number is all. Thanks for the help Joshua. That link was the closest yet to my truck and I bet that one is worth more as it is a 300 TDI and the drive train is fresher no doubt.

Thanks for all the thoughts.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 09:36 PM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

I would be asking at least $75k. Where are you gonna find an awesome truck like this for less than that?
Old September 3rd, 2014, 09:43 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Funny, but I'm at the same place with the 90 that got your old galvanized frame.
Made the mistake of test driving a BMW with my GF!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Wirken View Post
I know I am nuts to think about it and I already regret just the thought of it.....

I swore I would never even think about it but life has this way of changing things you know?

It is gonna take a lot for me to sell it. Just trying to get a ballpark number is all. Thanks for the help Joshua. That link was the closest yet to my truck and I bet that one is worth more as it is a 300 TDI and the drive train is fresher no doubt.

Thanks for all the thoughts.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 09:55 PM
budzny
Real4X4
NAS 97 ST/NAS 93 110/62
Birthday Committee Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Ten View Post
I would be asking at least $75k. Where are you gonna find an awesome truck like this for less than that?
X2 or more! Parts are getting expensive nowadays and not to mention labor!
Old September 4th, 2014, 01:56 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

another question to ponder is would you ever build one again (would you ever have the time to go from nothing to something)? knowing the blood sweat and tears poured into it, could you walk? If the answer is yes then depart with it.
I am sure a lot of us had cars that we thought we would never part with then one day it like hmm o.k. I'm done. Next.

What would you replace it with and does that come with a car payment. Enjoying the vehicle that you drive daily is priceless. Not to mention the head turning that other folks do especially with your truck.
Old September 4th, 2014, 06:38 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Ten View Post
I am in the process of converting a clean title '94ST in to a 110. $75k is in the ballpark.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old September 4th, 2014, 08:08 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

What would ECR ask then discount it to something prudent (ie most of what they claim it's worth) to make the sale.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 4th, 2014, 10:43 AM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

90 into 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
I am in the process of converting a clean title '94ST in to a 110. $75k is in the ballpark.
I'd like to see a build thread on that. I love 90 to 110 conversions. I find I usually have to add 20% to my "ballpark" to arrive at reality by the time i'm finished. These type of projects tend to nickel and dime you to death.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac