Canadian speeding tickets - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 29th, 2009, 12:49 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Canadian speeding tickets

What happens if a US citizen gets a speeding ticket in Canada? I've read that if it's the other way around, they don't give a shit. I also heard the mounties will arrest you if you are like 20 mph over or something insanely ridiculous like that. So i'm curious if anyone has experience with this?

I might have to go to Northern Idaho in the mere future and I was considering my route. Go through the US at a mere 70-75 or book it WOT through Canada.
Advertisement

Old September 29th, 2009, 01:02 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
In NC they can arrest you at 20mph over- though I wonder how often they actually do.
Old September 29th, 2009, 01:45 PM
quick128
Trevor Ross
Series 109 diesel

In VA I am supposed to take a foreign national in front of a magistrate for a traffic offense, or any offense when I would issue a summons. This applies to visitors, not foreigners residing in the state. Most officers end up just warning them. I can think of only one time recently when some one was arrested and that was a german tourist who crossed the solid line while reaching for something and hit someone head on. I don't know if he showed up to court or not. This is how it has been explained to me, but it doesn't come up very offen so I could be wrong. I don't know if it works the same way in Canada or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 29th, 2009, 01:55 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Interesting. Thanks for your input.

Follow-up Post:

I mean I figure if I get caught at 140 mph they are probably going to arrest me, so i'f have to roll the dice on that but if I got nailed at 90, I wouldn't bother running, I'd pull over. If they simply issue a fine and the points don't transfer, I'd take that bet all day long.
Old September 29th, 2009, 01:59 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

In my experiences driving in Canada they have had no sense of humor at all about speeding. I drive a lot faster in the US than I can/dare to in Canada.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:07 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I just read the NY DMV website. Seems that tickets obtained in Quebec or Ontario do transfer to an NY license under "special circumstances." I'm sure whatever I got pulled over for would definitely be a special circumstance. That leaves me Alberta and Saskatch.

I've been caught in the US over 100 mph. It wasn't good. ugh speed limits in this country are rediculous!
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:15 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I agree the speed limits here are nuts. I got a speeding ticket in my '84 110 here in VA for goodness sakes (but it was in the low 70's).

Stephan, dare I ask what kind of vehicle you drive? I can't imagine you do 100 in your D90 let alone 140...
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:17 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Buy a plane lead foot!

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:26 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Step ahead of you! just finished my private license. However it takes a lot of speeding tickets to justify the price of a Cessna.

The car I would be using for this trip is an rx-8. The nature of the rotary motor makes me feel comfortable revving that that high for that long. at 120 mph I'd probably be turning 6500 rpms. I had a 6-speed bmw 540 that I racked up most of my tickets on until I was no longer insurable. I want to avoid that happening again hence my question. Please don't think i'm one of those assholes that weaves through traffic with no turn signals with their music pumping. I'm not, I simply can't resist an empty I-70 in Kansas.
Old September 29th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Here (Alberta), more than 50 km/h (30 mph) over results in your vehicle being towed, a mandatory court appearance and a dangerous driving charge. They leave you on the side of the road without a car....

Most of the highways up here are not great for going fast anyway. It does depend where you are, but in general, the US interstate system is a lot better. There is only one east/west highway for the most part and it is busy. The interstates just south of the border are empty IME.
Old September 29th, 2009, 04:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
I agree the speed limits here are nuts. I got a speeding ticket in my '84 110 here in VA for goodness sakes (but it was in the low 70's).

Stephan, dare I ask what kind of vehicle you drive? I can't imagine you do 100 in your D90 let alone 140...
Ah, Charles, look at my avitar. That is Janey's speedo. I know NY has an agreement with Ontario to transfer tickets, however, since PA is the only state without an agreement to transfer points with any other state, I never looked into whether a canadian ticket would do anything to me because knowing the way PA operates, there is no way in hell it would.
Old September 29th, 2009, 04:13 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Ah, Charles, look at my avitar. That is Janey's speedo.
Yeah you really do need to get your own avatar

That was before I replaced the speedo cable. The vibration is almost totally gone so the reading is much more accurate (and she reads about 5 miles over). But before it swung wildly so I'm not sure I trust that top end number
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:13 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpamike
In NC they can arrest you at 20mph over- though I wonder how often they actually do.
Not often
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:53 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Yeah you really do need to get your own avatar

That was before I replaced the speedo cable. The vibration is almost totally gone so the reading is much more accurate (and she reads about 5 miles over). But before it swung wildly so I'm not sure I trust that top end number
She was at maxed out and we looked over at a 911 which I (keep in mind, RHD) was doing over 100 based on its speedo.
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:43 PM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
She was at maxed out and we looked over at a 911 which I (keep in mind, RHD) was doing over 100 based on its speedo.
That must have been a big hill
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:28 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchee
Had to be a Huge hill , the music went silent at 85 in mine and at 99 everything was rattling
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:34 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

My 95 d-90 is limited to 92 mph. Am I the only one?
Old September 30th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Make sure if you get the speeding ticket in Canada you PAY the fine, ( otherwise don't plan to get back in ).
A friend of mine did that and the following year we went snomobiling he go detainned at the border for 6 hours and refussed his entrance.

FIRST OFFENSE

As far as being arrested for speeding in the States, well not sure how that happens, I was Chased, Barricated and obviously pulled over for the insignificance of passing the Officer ( hidden ) at lets just say more than doble the speed limit. I guess he was upset I did not see him, so 2 exits down the Turnpike the Whole Circus commenced.
Did not get arrested as no other violation than SPEEDING ( well I was charge with evading, wreckless driving , endangerment and about 6 other bologna tickets. Was forced to diver for 6 months only between 6 am and 8 pm ( as I was the only supporter of my household and needed to drive to go to work ) and I had to display a sign issued by the court stating " THIS VEHICLE and DRIVER ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO BE ON THE ROAD BETWEEN 8pm and 6 AM ), and 12points on my license. ( NEW JERSEY 1994 )

SECOND OFFENSE:

Almost same speed , but this time I pulled over after one mile or two ( as on my rearview mirror looked like the 4th of July fireworks with all the lights.
Bunch of tickets, went to court, had an out of state license and tags ( CA ) ,Judge sid to Prosecutor " Please tell me the recorded speed is wrong " Prosecutor said " Allow the Officer to answer that Your Honor " the Officer statement " Your Honor I've clocked Mr. XXX at 147mph with his brake lights on " got 1500.00 fines, no points, and the Judge tore me a new one, and walked away. Her final words, " IF YOU APPEAR AGAIN IN FRONT OF ME I WILL REMEMBER YOUR HABITS , AND GET A MD LICENSE WITHIN THE NEXT 30 DAYS , and REPORT THE NEW LICENSE TO THE COURT, OR MAKE SURE YOU RESIDE IN CA FOR GOOD "
Old September 30th, 2009, 12:57 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchee
It was foot to the floor (for a very sustained period of time) in Nebraska or one of those flat states. Speedo said 110 mph. I would say we were doing around 100 (porsche speedos run high too).

The NAS trucks have limiters at 89mph (BFGs are S rated to that speed only) but a disco I or RRC chip in a 93-95 will get rid of the governer.
Old September 30th, 2009, 02:07 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

We will be waiting.

The advantage of living in the middle of Kansas is I have never had to drive all the way across it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
Step ahead of you! just finished my private license. However it takes a lot of speeding tickets to justify the price of a Cessna.

The car I would be using for this trip is an rx-8. The nature of the rotary motor makes me feel comfortable revving that that high for that long. at 120 mph I'd probably be turning 6500 rpms. I had a 6-speed bmw 540 that I racked up most of my tickets on until I was no longer insurable. I want to avoid that happening again hence my question. Please don't think i'm one of those assholes that weaves through traffic with no turn signals with their music pumping. I'm not, I simply can't resist an empty I-70 in Kansas.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat