Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2015, 07:13 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
What were the environmental impacts from the production of that i3?

In terms of environmental impact an old diesel running wvo is the only responsible choice. More responsible if you believe the "science" Used to con people into believe that humans have the most impact is riding a bike and shunning everything in the modern world.
That's a good question. BMW has an environmental report about the i3 here. It looks to be more responsibly produced than most vehicles, utilizing a great deal of renewable energy such as wind and hydro power. Sustainable materials were also selected. Apparently the material for the cloth seats comes from Oregon.

I do not agree that an old diesel running wvo is the only responsible choice. It makes economic sense for an individual if they can get free or cheap wvo locally, but the emissions are similar to biodiesel and conventional diesel. According to this study, a Mercedes running wvo produced significantly more CO2 than a Ford F-250 running biodiesel.

Any biofuel is bad though as it takes significant land to grow the biofuel crops, which we can not afford to lose. But even if we did destroy all of the remaining natural habitat and replace all of our food crops with biofuel crops we would not be able to replace petroleum with biofuels because simply that much land doesn't exist. Also biofuel crops (such as tree plantations) increase levels of ground level ozone, created by oxides of nitrogen (NOx) and volatile organic compounds (VOC) in the presence of sunlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpilot View Post
Buying anything new is environmentally irresponsible. More energy and impact goes into production than driving the vehicle. Driving a vehicle, keeping it running within parameters, is the best thing you can do for the environment. That and perhaps using public transportation for the mundane commuting.
You're right that buying a new vehicle is not good for the environment considering the environmental impact of production, but the global warming potential of driving the vehicle is much greater than production for conventional vehicles according to BMW's graph in their report, which compares the i3 to a diesel 118d. We must also consider the heavy air pollution caused by diesel engines, especially particulate matter. According to the study linked above, "PM from .1 microns to 10 microns can penetrate deep into the lungs where they are deposited in the respiratory bronchioles or alveolar sacs. These deposits have been shown to increase cancer formation in humans and lab animals (Zirvin, 1997)."

Accoding to a study by UC Berkely here, compared to gasoline vehicles, "diesel trucks are the bigger source of secondary organic aerosol (SOA), a major component of smog."

So from an educated viewpoint I believe diesel to be a poor choice as a fuel compared to the alternatives, but it may make financial sense to you as individual as I pointed out and some of you may like the power and sound characteristics of a diesel engine, but it's just not good for the environment (especially in the long-term) compared to other choices available. So I think the environmentally responsible decision would be to drive an electric (or low emission) vehicle or take mass transit (like Dogpilot suggested) on a daily basis and only drive the diesel when you need to.
Old May 5th, 2015, 09:04 PM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

I drive a 90, diesel AC, SW, In Florida, cruise 70- 75 on the highway. I get 25 mpg, I've had it up to 90 mph, downhill with a tail wind, these trucks are not designed to go that fast. If you want speed buy a sports car, if you want mpg buy a prius, if you want to save the world kill yourself or live in a cave and eat bugs. Lol,
I drive a Rover because I like them. I use diesel because I want to, I burn my yard waste and trash because I like to. People do not cause global warming,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2015, 09:18 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
The debate on Global Warming has many twists and turns. The issue of diesels is not a small one, but if we are to use ICE engines, then diesel is the more abundant fraction of fuel available, sucked out of the ground. You can also grow plants that let you produce a diesel like alternative. Is this a good thing, depends on your point of view. While I worked in SE Asia, they where cutting down huge swaths of rain forest to make biodiesel. Where I am going to do my next project, Ivory Coast, the same thing is happening. I have to use turbine powered aircraft there, simply because aviation gasoline simply isn't available, anywhere. I could order it in and stockpile it, but it ends up being really expensive. Besides you have quality issues with it when you store it longer term.

The easy solution to Global Warming, which is simply a physical expression of overpopulation, is; Latex, the wonder chemical. Coatings of it applied to male sex organs prevents more people, which can influence the environment negatively. Yes it seems that people all over the world develop a taste for cooked food, transportation and clean water. All these things take energy of some form. Most of the third world can't afford any of the clean solutions we come up with. Heck they can barely keep the power on after 8:00pm. If you want to experience really filthy air, walk around Cairo, Mexico City or, where I'm going, Abidjan during rush hour. Poorly tuned diesels everywhere, belching black smoke.
Old May 5th, 2015, 10:14 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Hahaha live in a cave and eat bugs... gay hippies who use latex... yay sounds like good plan. We're gonna save the world!! :D
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:03 PM
Ncrover725
Bobby
1985 110

Registry
I daily drive my diesel 110 in Florida. Since January I have run over 9,000 miles. Average 40 miles per day highway to and from work. Average 65 mph. Before the 110 I daily drove a series IIa. Maybe my thoughts are a bit off the mark but there is no issue daily driving as long as there is a bit of expectation management up front.
1998 D1 (Sold)
1971 109 3 Door (Sold)
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:30 PM
doktorno
Chris deZ.
1995 Defender SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpilot View Post
Cessna A185F, big STOL taildragger.
Very jealous. Sold my Scout 8GCBC when the twins were born, not enough seats.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat