Can someone identify this? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 30th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Can someone identify this?

We were in New Hampshire this week and south of Keene we passed what can only be described as a Land Rover graveyard. It appeared that the shop was out of business but there were still Rovers and parts all over the place peeking out from the underbrush. Many many Series IIs were lying around. What I was wondering is if anyone knows what this is. It says 'Rover' on the front badge and had some aluminum bodywork. I know that Land Rover made the Sterlings in the 80's but this is obviously much older than that. Looks like it was last licensed for the road in '73.

I did get a few pics of the rest of the graveyard. I would have gotten more but I was trespassing as it is and didn't want to anger the possible owner if he were to show up, though looking at the state of the buildings I doubted he would. The 2-door 110 that was out front looked to be in almost servicable shape. The amount of spare body fittings lying around was quite stunning too. Tubs, doors, tops, I even saw a complete engine, a V-8 I think, in a building that the roof had caved in on.
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2005, 02:03 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

its either a rover90 or a rover 100 they were from the late 50's i owned one a long time ago
Old March 30th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy salmon
its either a rover90 or a rover 100 they were from the late 50's i owned one a long time ago
Yep, looks correct. Found a pic of one here. Ok, so it's not a Land Rover and I was 99% sure it wasn't but I'd never heard of 'Rover' before until now. Thanks for enlightening me.
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2005, 02:15 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Where in Keene (off of what road)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 30th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Tony I live 45 min from Keene! You could have said HI! I think I know of that place, it's off of 101 just outside of Keene right?
Old March 30th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
Tony I live 45 min from Keene! You could have said HI! I think I know of that place, it's off of 101 just outside of Keene right?
Yep, that's it. It's actually east of Keene I guess, in Marlborough on 101. Place looked abandoned. I was in a hurry to make a flight out of Manchester yesterday afternoon so couldn't poke around more. I saw the 110 out front and stopped for about 3 minutes. There are definitely many useable parts out back. You could probably easily put together a few Series trucks from them provided you have a frame and drivetrain. I got a number from the guys next door and may call about the 110 sitting out front if one of you bastards don't beat me to it.

Sorry about not dropping a note. It was one of those last minute trips. We are thinking of moving to NH from TX and did a tour of the state this past week. Put over 1,000 miles on the rental exploring every inch of the state over 7 days.
Old March 30th, 2005, 02:45 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Good time to tour NH... MUD SEASON.

Old March 30th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
Good time to tour NH... MUD SEASON.
We did spend a good deal of time on dirt, I guess I mean mud, roads. It worked out for us that they didn't have the car we reserved and upgraded us to a 4x4 Trailblazer for free. I figured if I had a 4x4 I'd better use it. We drove back roads most of the way from Hanover to Keene in the rain two days ago. Ground clearance and turn-radius sucked but it didn't give any problems pulling though mud or snow on some of those back roads. I'd never trade my 90 for one though.
Old March 30th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Sweet Tony! Yep East of Keene, I have driven past it a few times and that 110 has been there for over 2 years. I don't hear the best about the guy who runs the place but I have never met hm or seen any of his work. If you move out here you will get to use your 90 all the time! We'll show ya all the good spots, and any NH questions just ask away, Ive lived here for 26 years.
Old March 30th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
That's look like a Series IIA 109 certainly not a 110.
Old March 30th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
If you move out here you will get to use your 90 all the time! We'll show ya all the good spots, and any NH questions just ask away, Ive lived here for 26 years.
Wheeling is one of the bigger reasons why we're thinking of moving up that way. Other's being less taxes, more outdoors activities like camping and hiking, etc. Now to find that job before we move. Legal wheeling is very hard to find in Texas. There is near zero public land to offroad on now that they've closed off the riverbeds. The nearest spot to me, where we have to pay to wheel, is over 2 hours away. I used to have almost sole access to my father's company ranch but he no longer works there so I lost that.

I'll let you know how the move progresses.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
That's look like a Series IIA 109 certainly not a 110.
That's what I meant to say. I got in late last night and had to be to work early this morning. Also, I brought back a souvineer cold from NH so I'm also hopped up on Dayquil. Gimme a break.
Old March 30th, 2005, 03:28 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
If you move out here you will get to use your 90 all the time! We'll show ya all the good spots, and any NH questions just ask away, Ive lived here for 26 years.
Uh, yuh, sure! I've been here 4 months now and have yet to get led to some fun local spots.

So, truck together this weekend huh? I've been hearing that for the last month
Old March 30th, 2005, 03:37 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoloco
Uh, yuh, sure! I've been here 4 months now and have yet to get led to some fun local spots.

Mike's has been off the road for 6mths so it been hard for him to go
he had mine for 3mts which made it hard for me to go
Old March 30th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:

What a nice guy! I help you out with a few things on your 90 even though mine don't work, and you go and complain that I don't show you all the good spots! I think I know just the trail to send you down! The mud looks only a few inches deep, then you get into it and soon relize it's a few feet deep then the farmer comes out with his shotgun to finish you off! How does that sound for a trail?

I wouldn't send you down that trail, at least not during the day!
Old March 30th, 2005, 04:46 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
I think I know just the trail to send you down! The mud looks only a few inches deep, then you get into it and soon relize it's a few feet deep then the farmer comes out with his shotgun to finish you off! How does that sound for a trail?
Now that sounds like fun. But remember - you be showing us da trail - so I be followin you

btw - that hippert guy is a nice guy - even though his truck still isnt running.
Old March 30th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Now that sounds like fun. But remember - you be showing us da trail - so I be followin you
Don't worry about me on the trail, I get through most of the holes in NH.

Quote:
btw - that hippert guy is a nice guy - even though his truck still isnt running.
Hey don't go spreading roomers! They might really think I'm a nice guy!
Old March 30th, 2005, 07:27 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

That's just not right...

I REALLY want an old school series (I or II) to fix up. Seems a shame for that guy to just have them out there rotting. If someone follows up on this can you see if he's into selling (or send me the phone #)?

Cool it's out there though. Always been my wet dream to go on a farm for work and see someone with an old LR in a field or barn somewhere. Just seems like everywhere I go they are Willy's.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat