Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 29th, 2012, 07:38 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post

Thanks for the intel - I was actually on the Filson site today thinking of one of their Tin coats. I wear ski stuff all the time thru the winter as it's light and warm but it get's hammered from garage and yard work. I have an old Patagonia down jacket that is ripped and covered in anti-sieze.

Thinking the Double Logger or maybe the Tin Cruiser. Sounds like these jackets are tough as hell but how do they stand up to dirt/grim/grease?
The tin cloth will be a little to heavy for New Jersey winters. I would stick with the shelter cloth. I have many if their jackets/coats (20 plus) and do some occasional PR for them.

Old November 29th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I'm wearing my tin cruiser every day lately. It stands up to the dirt/grime just fine. I probably wouldn't want to get it around too much grease though. You aren't supposed to wash the tin cloth. These jackets get more character every season
Old November 29th, 2012, 09:14 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
I'm wearing my tin cruiser every day lately. It stands up to the dirt/grime just fine. I probably wouldn't want to get it around too much grease though. You aren't supposed to wash the tin cloth. These jackets get more character every season
Yeah, wasn't thinking wearing it for a big project like an axle change or anything but seems like while working outside the D calls me over for some tinkering around and next thing I know I have some dirt/grim covering whatever I am wearing.

------ Follow up post added November 29th, 2012 09:23 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90 View Post
Glad to help. I couldn't pass up the deal on a tin jacket and mackinaw wool liner. Should make driving the Series a warmer affair in the winter. For tractor/truck work, I bring out the Carhartts.
I usually just use whatever jacket I have already destroyed. Got an older Marmot hardshell that is a mess but I don't feel bad snotting up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 29th, 2012, 09:24 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
tin cloth garments are greased when they leave the factory.
Good point - wish I had a store nearby to see what the hell they look like in person.
Old November 29th, 2012, 09:25 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Yeah, wasn't thinking wearing it for a big project like an axle change or anything but seems like while working outside the D calls me over for some tinkering around and next thing I know I have some dirt/grim covering whatever I am wearing.
If its well waxed you will be fine. The Tin cloth will show the stains more than the shelter cloth. The cover cloth is too light for tinkering.

I have the double tin cruiser with a wool liner. That thing is a beast, it only gets worn a couple times per year. I prefer the shelter cloth coat with a moleskin liner. I do put the wool liner in it every now and then.
Old November 29th, 2012, 09:40 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
The tin cloth will be a little to heavy for New Jersey winters. I would stick with the shelter cloth. I have many if their jackets/coats (20 plus) and do some occasional PR for them.
Thanks - will look at the Filson site some more although they have so many jackets it is hard to figure out which one will work best.

I see they have partnered up with Levi's and Burton on a few coats. Too bad they didn't have a Patagonia version. I know Pat is worn by everyone and is a little tracked but their shit works and fits so well - one of their shells or even the H2no jacket in tin or shelter would be pretty sick.

------ Follow up post added November 29th, 2012 09:47 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
If its well waxed you will be fine. The Tin cloth will show the stains more than the shelter cloth. The cover cloth is too light for tinkering.

I have the double tin cruiser with a wool liner. That thing is a beast, it only gets worn a couple times per year. I prefer the shelter cloth coat with a moleskin liner. I do put the wool liner in it every now and then.
Great, thanks for the info. I just want something to throw over whatever I am wearing that will be tough and weather resistant - just like a ski shell but won't rip easy and like a good shell can shed water on wet days and doesn't let wind come thru. I have plenty of ski/snowboard gear for insulation but seems like what I wear now gets caught up on stuff when working outside. What I use now isn't all that bad - just want to try something new/better.
Old June 20th, 2013, 08:17 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Nice Video.
Old June 21st, 2013, 09:30 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Cool video TJSlaughter - that shop looks awesome.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat