Can anyone here school me on sailboats? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 17th, 2008, 12:39 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Can anyone here school me on sailboats?

My mother and father just bought a house on a lake with a dock, so I was going to see about buying them a boat. Something small (no more than 18 feet), something classy, something that seats 4-6 people... and good woodwork is of top importance. Beyond that, I havn't the faintest clue what to look for. I figured maybe somebody on here could point me in the right direction, or maybe somebody on here may know of a good online forum about sailboats? I've got about a year to figure this out, but I wanted to get going on it, considering I would imagine having something built would take some time.
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2008, 12:07 AM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Sailboats

You might look at a lightning. Fun boat and the wooden ones are beautiful. I have one built in 1939.
Old May 18th, 2008, 12:08 AM
mountaintek
Tom Pritchard
1997 90

Sailboat

How deep is the water around the lake and at the dock? Do they want an enclosed head?
Do they want to sail leisurely or really have to pay attention? With a sailboat you are only talking a
few mph diff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2008, 12:34 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
I raced Intl' class 420's ,470's, Lasers and Lido 14's. The Lido 14 is an easy boat to sail, it is comfortable, trailerable easy to maintain and you stay dry while sailing it. Fiberglass hull and deck - teak centerboard cap and tray. Carries 4 comfortably. If capsized it rights easily - and water bails out easily. The Lido14 is a "one Design" boat so that if they decide they want to race it for fun, they will be racing against other Lidos that are identical (no mods to the boat or hull). The boat weighs around 310 lbs and can be launched or pulled up onto a lake sandy beach. (Centerboard and rudder swing up out of the water.)I use to use it at a number of california lakes -It is a great family boat. If we camped at a lake side I would launch from a marina - then sail over to the campsite and tie it off on one of the same pegs i would use on a corner of the tent.
Len

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:58 AM
mountaintek
Tom Pritchard
1997 90

Boat

I was thinking of a Cape Dory typhoon or a cat boat. Nice cockpit, classic lines, easy to sail
and stable. Also try norseboat.com
Old May 18th, 2008, 02:08 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Thanks for the input- as for the depth of the waters, I am not sure- it's a fair sized lake up in Oregon (Oswego Lake). I am just talking about easy, leisurely sailing- just something that would be easy for them to tool around in. I don't even think an enclosed head would be necessary.
Old May 18th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Depth is important because if there are slot of shallow areas you will want to rule out any fixed keel designs right away.
Old May 18th, 2008, 06:23 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Hey Nate,

You must be the good sibling.

Whatever you decide, make sure to get the boat surveyed before signing the check! This is a really great forum.

Good luck!
Old May 19th, 2008, 12:12 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Andrew- thanks for the tip, i'll keep that in mind.

Ade- Good sibling? Not so sure about that. More like this is my way of apologizing for all the crap I put my parents through when I was younger. Also, thanks for the link- looks like a decent starting point.
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Are you looking for a wooden boat, or one with woodwork?

There's certainly something special about a wooden boat that the plastic fantastics can't touch; they are more maintenance intensive, but will outlive all owners with maintenance while plastics will eventually fail.

We've had a few boats, LOL. On my short list is a little Beetle Cat, though I'll put that off to build a lapstrake sailing dinghy. Right now we've got a Precision 15 (plastic fantastic): basically a dead simple all fibreglass boat with no varnish (I like varnishing) but easy for beginners, incredibly stable, and comfortable (short days) for 6.
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:44 PM
obie
Patrick Oberg
'95 Disco ~ '04 E500 Benz

It dependeds on how much your looking to spend. I used to live in Oregon, Lake Oswego is good size, but you won't need anything any bigger than a daysailer. That said, you can spend anywere from a few grand on a Laser to over $700K on a Hinckley 42' Daysailer. Take your time and do your research. Best place to start is hang around a Marina and ask to take one out... I also agree with Ember, wooden boat's are awesome! Here are some forums:

http://www.daysailer.org/forum/index.php?c=1

http://www.iboats.com/boats/marine--...sailers--1088/

http://www.everyboat.com/category/71...iler-sailboats

My favorite sites:

http://www.sailinganarchy.com/index_page1.php

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	13557   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	13558  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	13559   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	13560  

"To prepare for a race, there is nothing better than a good phesant, some champagne and a woman." -- Jacques Anquetil

'04 E500 Benz
'02 Colnago
'95 Discovery
'79 Pearson '39
'67 Cal '25

--
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:18 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Definitely looking for a wood boat- my father is a fan of all things woodworking. Trying to keep it under $15k, if at all possible??

Thanks for the links, Patrick, looks like I have a lot of research to do
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:53 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

I'll keep my eyes out for you for nice daysailers.

Thinking about it, and being dedicated to wooden boats: if I were seriously looking, the Herreshoff 12 1/2 would be at the top of my list ahead of the Beetle Cat.

This site has almost cost me my marriage:
http://www.cppyacht.com/wood.html

There are a number of boats there. CP&P is top shelf brokerage. Do NOT, under any circumstance, buy a wooden boat without a good survey, even a daysailer. Shipping across country is feasible and not as painfully expensive as you might think. If you want a hand inspecting a boat prior to arranging a survey, let me know... i know a lot of wooden boat freaks who'd be happy to help.

Building a boat like a Haven 12-1/2 is a project, but emminently worthwhile. I'd be happy to provide an estimated cost for my amateur services to build you such a boat. I just finished my boatshop last summer, and I've nearly got my other small boat projects finished up and out of the way. It was sized for building 16' boats (like, idunno, say, the Haven 12.5?).

Kidding aside, enjoy the research, buy a copy of "woodenboat" and see the classifieds... careful, though, woodies are even more addictive than Rovers (heresy!).
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:00 AM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Remember the more wood on the deck, the more work involved for upkeep. Especially on an older boat. Teak has to be sanded down and reoiled on an almost a annual basis. But around the coast it is nothing but saltwater. I don't know how the upkeep would be any different in fresh water.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:09 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Well, with freshwater, you have to be doubly careful of rot and bottom protection (whereas saltwater's helpful against rot, but bad for corrosion)...

I don't know lakes, but you can get a lot of infomation from locals on the lake as to what problems to be careful of.

Teak should remain oiled regularly, to avoid having to sand it down... yearly sanding and away goes the teak over time. Same with Varnish - keep it fresh and don't wood it regularly (won't have to).
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:54 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
you might enjoy this site as well.

http://knockaboutsloops.blogspot.com...bor-17-12.html
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:41 PM
saber6
gh
97 D90 SW

It is great to see how many sailors are on this site!!! I am an avid sailor and typically distance sail solo both for Racing purposes as well as for personal enjoyment. I feel as if I have sailed them all (obviously I have not) but multihulls are truly the way to go. I have sailed big multi's smaller multi's and for your purposes I would recommend a Windrider (except for the wood piece), a WR is rotomolded and does not have any wood but a very exciting boat that is stable and would meet most of your criteria. A Sea Pearl would be the next recommendation, I have never sailed one but the pod cast I listen to weekly the boat is discussed regularly. Lastly, in my opinion you cannot go wrong when getting a sailboat, it doesn't matter what you buy no matter how expensive or cheap you will have the ability to Sail and that is truly better than most things in life. gh
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:07 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
the defender of the water: www.caillou-boats.com
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:10 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by d90boy
the defender of the water: www.caillou-boats.com
I had already contacted them, actually. Those boats are sexy, but I think something that seats more than 2 is in order.
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:03 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Hi,

I still recommend you look at the Lido 14 - great family day sailer - seats 6 - (6' beam (wide and comfortable). Here is the url to the factory - www.santanasailboats.com/boats/lido14/lido14.htm

I would look for a used boat in good condition - Check out the "for sale" section on the site as well - looks like some good deals and you see pics of the boats in action.

Len

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat