Can anybody school me on kayaks??? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 9th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Question Can anybody school me on kayaks???

My wife and I are in the market for some kayaks, mostly for lakes and moderate rivers, were are just beginners. We don't need anything fancy...what would you guys recommend?

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2008, 09:28 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
there are the sit on tops then the more touring oriented with better dry storage etc. Are you planning on camping? Or just something to paddle around during the day in the summer months? Keep an eye on craigslist I have seen a few touring kayaks and a number of sit on tops there.
Old June 9th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
there are the sit on tops then the more touring oriented with better dry storage etc. Are you planning on camping? Or just something to paddle around during the day in the summer months? Keep an eye on craigslist I have seen a few touring kayaks and a number of sit on tops there.
Planning on camping. I'd rather have the type that cover my legs, I sunburn way too easily. Dry storage is a plus. What are some good brands? I'm just a beginner anyway. I guess as long as it floats I'm good to go...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2008, 09:49 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
The wilderness systems boats are nice, I have spent some time in them. Dagger, Necky, Perception, are a few that come to mind. i imagine you will get a pair one for you and the wife or will you be tandem? Seems like a better idea to have two boats for saftey and to split up loads etc. I imagine it all comes down to what you feel comfortable in. Im a little guy and the boats I have been have been pretty easy for me to get in and out of. i would advise picking up one that has a rudder to help with steering. Maybe look at some of the canoe/kayak magazines at the book stand. The thing I noticed most when I have spent time in them was the ease with where I could put stuff that I need easy access to, water food maps etc. some boats have some well though out designs with storage on the deck and around the cockpit, other you have to just stick it down under your sprayskirt and deal. Outfitting is a little expensive too, drybags, pfds, paddles, navigation, list goes on. If it is something you think you will do a lot maybe just as well spend more money upfront to get something nice instead of something cheap to get by with. I am sure there are some outfitters in the area that rent/demo boats maybe a good place to start. If you are in a kayak I reccomend learning how to roll one over.
Old June 9th, 2008, 10:07 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I kayak a lot in the summer. If you are looking for a good stable normal kayak, I would find a used Dagger RPM with all the gear, should be around 500-700. For your wife, you could get her a sit on top. That is what I did. Or a Dagger Redline would be a similar boat for her.

Old June 10th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

What's the price range? Are you looking for premium kayaks, or something relatively cheap to get into the sport?

Touring kayaks (covered deck, with cockpit into which you sit) are great but can require a little bit of practice before you venture too far from shore. Tons of different brands and styles/finer points. The best bet would be to visit paddling.net (to see relative prices and options) and then visit your local brick-and-mortar paddlesports shop to see what they've got. All good paddle shops will encourage sea-trials before purchase.

Sit-on-tops / recreational kayaks would not be ideal for adventurous camping any distance from shore.

I just built a Chesapeake Light Craft shearwater 17 (visit clcboats.com) and am having a blast with it. I'm hoping to attend a rolling class this month. I'd like to start taking lessons so as to learn some real skills.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
body