Can Any Of You Ride Your Bike Like This? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 21st, 2009, 08:18 PM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
Can Any Of You Ride Your Bike Like This?

Click Below>

Filmed over the period of a few months in and around Edinburgh by Dave Sowerby, this video of Inspired Bicycles team rider Danny MacAskill features probably the best collection of street/street trials riding ever seen.

There's some huge riding, but also some of the most technically difficult and imaginative lines you will ever see.

Without a doubt, this video pushes the envelope of what is perceived as possible on a trials bike.
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2009, 08:24 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Unrelated but is your 110 black?
Old April 21st, 2009, 08:51 PM
Nadir_E
Nadir Elfarra
94 NAS D-90 ST

Talking

Good thing they have free medical in the UK!!

He's the biking version of Parkour running!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2009, 09:15 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

That was F'ing cool...

Old April 21st, 2009, 09:39 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I saw this vid a few days ago on a riding site I frequent. There is so much going on in that vid - his riding combines modern street bmx, classic trials and a little old school flatland bmx - very cool.

The only trick I can come close to is a bunny 180 but certainly not over a guard rail more like a 6x6 timber. That 360 stair drop thru the tunnel is my favorite. So burly but he does it like butter. Love how the guy follows him to see what the hell happened.
Old April 21st, 2009, 10:03 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

completely sick
very cool...

I love the people looking down to see what happened to him as well. You know they were expecting carnage...
Old April 21st, 2009, 10:10 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Winningham
Great vid !

Same kind, without the bike:

Old April 21st, 2009, 11:02 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

As a big time ex bmxer from the early 80's all I can tell you is that might be most skill I have ever seen in any sport. That guy is the Michael Jordan,Joe Montana,James Stewart,Ricky Carmichael,Micheal Phelps and who ever else you can think of combined.Just sick
Old April 22nd, 2009, 07:20 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD
Great vid !

Same kind, without the bike:

I cant imagine the knee problems they will have.

The guy on the bike is good. There was a guy riding for Ellsworth a few years ago that was as good if not better than this guy in the link above.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 08:12 AM
Treuwer
Trae Reuwer
94 D90

Jesus can't even ride like that.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 08:17 AM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
Unrelated but is your 110 black?
yes, Beluga Black
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Old April 22nd, 2009, 09:48 AM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS
D110 Soft Top with full rollcage

Registry
That video is straight sick

Old April 22nd, 2009, 09:48 AM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Wow !!!

One word ... Inspiring ! At the very top of his art.

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old April 22nd, 2009, 10:15 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
I cant imagine the knee problems they will have.

The guy on the bike is good. There was a guy riding for Ellsworth a few years ago that was as good if not better than this guy in the link above.
Was he a trials rider for Ellsworth? I am not sure who would be as good if not better than Danny Macaskill on a 26" trials bike. I don't follow trials closely but keep up with freestyle bike riding 20" BMX and MTB stuff and that Macaskill vid really blew me away. There are some BMX kids that are up there but don't have the trials stop/hop moves but have the grind thing down. This clip of Brad Simms is way up there in the skill and burly level: http://www.mihost.tv/videoSpot/bradSimms/

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsteil
As a big time ex bmxer from the early 80's all I can tell you is that might be most skill I have ever seen in any sport. That guy is the Michael Jordan,Joe Montana,James Stewart,Ricky Carmichael,Micheal Phelps and who ever else you can think of combined.Just sick
I'm guessing you raced as the early 80's most everyone that rode bmx raced. Was it out in CA? I raced/rode throughout New England in the mids 80's.

You should get a bike, the new style stuff rides better and is more comfy than the bikes from BITD.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:00 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

I'm guessing you raced as the early 80's most everyone that rode bmx raced. Was it out in CA? I raced/rode throughout New England in the mids 80's.

You should get a bike, the new style stuff rides better and is more comfy than the bikes from BITD.[/QUOTE]
In the late 70's I raced at Mclaren Park in San Francisco and when that closed I raced at Moffet Field in Mountain View. Still have my Hutch Pro Star race bike and my SE Quadangle freestyle bike. We also had a 10' tall quarter pipe on the side of my house that we rode for years. I was more into the freestyle stuff than the racing but loved them both. My wife bought me a Haro freestyle bike a few years back to ride with the kids but I found it to be really heavy. I was surprised I could still pull off some of my old tricks but not even close to that guy in the video. I almost dont believe what he is doing it so crazy.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 01:06 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
In the town I went to college, all the pro bmx guys lived there. You would go to the bars and see Nyquist or Mirra on any given night, plus alot of videos got shot in town and on parts of campus. At one point i think there were between 10 and 20 pros living in Greenville. Ryan Nyquists house was on the corner right beside campus. They never usually show in the videos all the crashes it takes to get one real good shot.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old April 22nd, 2009, 02:06 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
In the late 70's I raced at Mclaren Park in San Francisco and when that closed I raced at Moffet Field in Mountain View. Still have my Hutch Pro Star race bike and my SE Quadangle freestyle bike. We also had a 10' tall quarter pipe on the side of my house that we rode for years. I was more into the freestyle stuff than the racing but loved them both. My wife bought me a Haro freestyle bike a few years back to ride with the kids but I found it to be really heavy. I was surprised I could still pull off some of my old tricks but not even close to that guy in the video. I almost dont believe what he is doing it so crazy.
That's really cool. Have you seen Joe Kid on a Stingray yet? If not, you have to get that movie espeically being in California during that time period.

Very cool you were able to pull old moves. I've lost a lot of what I knew but gain more in terms of the size stuff I'm riding and style/bike control if that makes sense. That guy in the video is a mutant - not many can come close to the stuff he's pulling.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveridin1959
In the town I went to college, all the pro bmx guys lived there. You would go to the bars and see Nyquist or Mirra on any given night, plus alot of videos got shot in town and on parts of campus. At one point i think there were between 10 and 20 pros living in Greenville. Ryan Nyquists house was on the corner right beside campus. They never usually show in the videos all the crashes it takes to get one real good shot.
I've always heard Greenvile was a big pro spot. Ashville too - although more mtn bike due to the terrain from what I've read. Cool that you saw those guys just around town.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 02:10 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Quote:
Originally Posted by don
That's really cool. Have you seen Joe Kid on a Stingray yet? If not, you have to get that movie espeically being in California during that time period.

Very cool you were able to pull old moves. I've lost a lot of what I knew but gain more in terms of the size stuff I'm riding and style/bike control if that makes sense. That guy in the video is a mutant - not many can come close to the stuff he's pulling.
Have not seen that movie, or at least I dont remember it. The balance that guy has is what blows my mind. He rode up a pipe that was maybe 2" dia. The big drops he did just takes balls but the balance is unreal.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 03:44 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Have not seen that movie, or at least I dont remember it. The balance that guy has is what blows my mind. He rode up a pipe that was maybe 2" dia. The big drops he did just takes balls but the balance is unreal.
You have to get a copy of it: http://www.joekidonastingray.com/
Old April 22nd, 2009, 04:40 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Quote:
Originally Posted by don
You have to get a copy of it: http://www.joekidonastingray.com/
Just ordered it. Just seeing the people in the movie cast was enough for me. I rode with a bunch of those guys at Golden Gate Park in SF when I was a kid. There is a small chance I and my friend are in the movie if they show any footage of GG park. My friend and I jumped off the top a tunnel overpass together and their was movie footage of it from the local news. Mike Buff was there with a few other top guys and they would not do it. Long story short my friend made it but broke his Race Inc. frame in half and I no longer have my real two top front teeth from the landing. It was ugly,we had very little skill but very little fear(14 year olds). Great memmories(if I remember right, we almost never had helmets on back then). The drop was only about 10 feet but that was huge back then.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat