Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 13th, 2014, 08:30 AM
RX6RCROL
Matthew Hedrick
1994 D-90 #646

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Where are you going to store the 110 over the next couple years before you bring it in?
A lot of things need to happen before we can leave the vehicle in Africa. I'll get to your question in just a sec. Best case scenario, the RAC reissues the trucks current Carnet(passport) 3 weeks from now in my name. A carnet allows you to leave your vehicle in a country abroad for up to one year. The RAC typically only issues these to Brits. If your trucks still in America you call these guys http://www.atacarnet.com/. They will not help us. So without a carnet we have to travel on what's called a temporary import permit(tip). This is something we'll spend hours applying for once we leave Malawi at every border crossing. A TIP allows you to have your vehicle in the country for 30days-3 months. Still with me?? Once we reach the border of Malawi and Zambia, we can then apply for our own carnet but first, the existing carnet has to be stamped out of Malawi and returned to the UK. If the new carnet is not waiting for us in Cape Town, or better yet, somewhere along the way, we're screwed. We'll have to enter South Africa on a TIP and that will expire before we can return to South Africa. Now we have a few options, we could permanently import the vehicle to South Africa and pay a hefty tax, pay someone to exit/enter the country in the truck every 3 months or, export the vehicle to the USA under the designation, for Show and Display. Think, SEMA. Remember the CKD 110 that was displayed there? They had a S&D permit. Good for up to 3 years. On road use severely limited(2500 miles) or prohibited if the vehicle does not meet EPA standards or is less than 20 years old. Honestly we would prefer to stay in Africa because again, we have 6 months off next year and have yet to visit Mozambique, Tanzania, Kenya, etc but, if we can't stay, thats ok too...we've never driven to South America either. Back to your question. There is a company in South Africa called Safari Centre. In Cape Town they have a warehouse(think Bat-cave but more than one batman) where they store safari vehicles for people that live abroad. This is big business in Africa. Guys, girls, families fly in from all over the world, get in their trucks and get lost. It's very similar to owning a sailboat in the Caribbean. We also have a friend in Kokstad SA that's offered to let us store the vehicle on his farm.

And that's it. Nothing to it! All we need now is for our 23 year old Camel Trophy 110 to hold it together for eh, roughly 10,000k's!

Many thanks to Marc and Felicity for being kind enough to sell us, "Bob"...as the CT110 is affectionately named. We would not be doing this without their support. Visit their website http://www.naturallyafrica.co.uk/
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-164220167.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	441.6 KB
ID:	89613
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2014, 09:47 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Glad this is coming together Matt!! As they say, many ways to skin a cat!!

While I realize you have some great contacts in Africa, don't discount the help Doug can provide- he has helped me more than once.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:51 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Update:

30 hours after leaving NC, my brother, Matt, and his girlfriend, Rebecca, are on the ground in Malawi, Africa! They've both spoken of how beautiful the country is and how friendly the people are. And, they have taken delivery of their new (to them) Camel and are preparing to spend the next 27 days treking from Malawi through Zambia to Botswana, Namibia, and South Africa. Besides having to be debugged (literally), the 110 is purportedly in great shape, just as promised.

Just a couple of teaser shots for now. I'll be sure to drop updates here as I get them. As you might guess, internet service there is a bit hit and miss. At any rate, enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1973266_10203109487923370_1703757869_o.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	90218   Click image for larger version

Name:	1653341_10152022007789065_605868081_n.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	90219  

Name:	1888555_10152022516164065_858322668_n.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	90220  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:58 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
What a great story, look forward to more more pictures and details.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:59 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Very cool. Thanks for posting the pics. Would love to see more.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old February 23rd, 2014, 10:23 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Damn. They must be stoked!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old March 1st, 2014, 12:30 PM
RX6RCROL
Matthew Hedrick
1994 D-90 #646

Registry
Lake Malawi.

Name:	image-295292250.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	90507
Old March 1st, 2014, 12:34 PM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX6RCROL View Post
A lot of things need to happen before we can leave the vehicle in Africa. I'll get to your question in just a sec. Best case scenario, the RAC reissues the trucks current Carnet(passport) 3 weeks from now in my name. A carnet allows you to leave your vehicle in a country abroad for up to one year. The RAC typically only issues these to Brits. If your trucks still in America you call these guys http://www.atacarnet.com/. They will not help us. So without a carnet we have to travel on what's called a temporary import permit(tip). This is something we'll spend hours applying for once we leave Malawi at every border crossing. A TIP allows you to have your vehicle in the country for 30days-3 months. Still with me?? Once we reach the border of Malawi and Zambia, we can then apply for our own carnet but first, the existing carnet has to be stamped out of Malawi and returned to the UK. If the new carnet is not waiting for us in Cape Town, or better yet, somewhere along the way, we're screwed. We'll have to enter South Africa on a TIP and that will expire before we can return to South Africa. Now we have a few options, we could permanently import the vehicle to South Africa and pay a hefty tax, pay someone to exit/enter the country in the truck every 3 months or, export the vehicle to the USA under the designation, for Show and Display. Think, SEMA. Remember the CKD 110 that was displayed there? They had a S&D permit. Good for up to 3 years. On road use severely limited(2500 miles) or prohibited if the vehicle does not meet EPA standards or is less than 20 years old. Honestly we would prefer to stay in Africa because again, we have 6 months off next year and have yet to visit Mozambique, Tanzania, Kenya, etc but, if we can't stay, thats ok too...we've never driven to South America either. Back to your question. There is a company in South Africa called Safari Centre. In Cape Town they have a warehouse(think Bat-cave but more than one batman) where they store safari vehicles for people that live abroad. This is big business in Africa. Guys, girls, families fly in from all over the world, get in their trucks and get lost. It's very similar to owning a sailboat in the Caribbean. We also have a friend in Kokstad SA that's offered to let us store the vehicle on his farm. And that's it. Nothing to it! All we need now is for our 23 year old Camel Trophy 110 to hold it together for eh, roughly 10,000k's! Many thanks to Marc and Felicity for being kind enough to sell us, "Bob"...as the CT110 is affectionately named. We would not be doing this without their support. Visit their website http://www.naturallyafrica.co.uk/
Unreal shot!!!
Old March 1st, 2014, 12:51 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
not sure what type of cattle those are that stay in formation and don't stray off the road since there are no fences but can say with certainty angus would be scattered as far as the eye could see....
Attached Images

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 1st, 2014, 01:23 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
not sure what type of cattle those are that stay in formation and don't stray off the road since there are no fences but can say with certainty angus would be scattered as far as the eye could see....
So we have slowly transitioned from Hereford to Angus with the unreal marketing of Angus beef. I have no idea what mutt but probably disease and water resistant cattle they have there, but once you develop a rotation on pastures, the older cows get the hang of it and they "lead" the rest of the herd from one area to another with little effort on our part. Another thing that helps is herd dogs (collie mix usually) and you on horseback or atv next to them.

------ Follow up post added March 1st, 2014 11:28 AM ------

So I have no idea besides open source and some "closed" info that I get at work, but no matter the lure, I would not have the cajones to undertake this trip through these areas in Africa. Hats off to you and good luck! Awesome.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 01:30 AM
RX6RCROL
Matthew Hedrick
1994 D-90 #646

Registry
------ Follow up post added March 1st, 2014 11:28 AM ------ So I have no idea besides open source and some "closed" info that I get at work, but no matter the lure, I would not have the cajones to undertake this trip through these areas in Africa. Hats off to you and good luck! Awesome.[/QUOTE]

This place is not to be missed. It is the best trip I have ever been on.

For what it's worth, this place is crawling with backpackers, European families, tourist riding bicycles and solo travelers...all crossing Africa...we even met 2 girls from chili traveling alone together, one of which was a dentist. So far only met one other American, a girl from New York City, traveling solo.

Overlanding is a big deal here. In Malawi the super markets let you overnight in their parking lot in a designated area. They're fenced in with 24hour security. All of the camping areas we have stayed in have 24hour security and there are always loads of people to talk to. It's a lot of fun.

We're using a lonely planet guide book, my unlocked iPhone with SIM card(never not had coverage in Malawi), my iPad with tracks4africa navigation program. Never felt lost.

Yesterday we put 100liters of fuel in the truck. That cost. 85,340 Malawi Kwacha. Traveling overland in Africa is by no means cheap.

Today we're headed from Mzuzu to Lilongwe, then Chipata in Zambia.

Breakfast is ready. Gotta go.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 07:22 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Hey Matt- great trip for sure- glad you went after the old girl!!

Media does in fact sensationalize any minor issue- we got an email saying the road from Belize to Guatemala was blocked by protestors. Truth was a few locals were peacefully protesting about the lousy condition of the road…

Regardless- be safe, enjoy, and keep the pics coming!! A bit funny, you there driving a piece of history, and Will at the Smithsonian this w/e ;-)
Cheers!!

Old March 5th, 2014, 04:09 PM
RX6RCROL
Matthew Hedrick
1994 D-90 #646

Registry
At Foley Special Vehicles Africa, Livingstone Zambia, for a full day of TLC.

Name:	image-2540766134.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	90774
Old March 5th, 2014, 04:20 PM
RX6RCROL
Matthew Hedrick
1994 D-90 #646

Registry
Camping next to an Absolute Africa truck tonight. 3 trucks like this in our campground all from different company's.

http://www.absoluteafrica.com/Overland-Trucks
Old March 19th, 2014, 04:40 PM
RX6RCROL
Matthew Hedrick
1994 D-90 #646

Registry
We're back!

Name:	image-2615254209.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	664.2 KB
ID:	91476
Old March 19th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
awesome.

------ Follow up post added March 19th, 2014 04:43 PM ------

you should make a video homage to the truck and your experience. that would have been a great youtube video-diary

Old March 19th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Mark,

Matt and Rebecca shared some of their videos and pictures from their trip with us this evening. They definitely had a memorable experience and even managed to make a few friends along the way! Glad to have y'all back home brother!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1782039_10152052244454065_880994902_n.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	91481  

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old March 19th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Shanghai them to Uwharrie!

Old March 20th, 2014, 07:46 PM
RX6RCROL
Matthew Hedrick
1994 D-90 #646

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
awesome.

------ Follow up post added March 19th, 2014 04:43 PM ------

you should make a video homage to the truck and your experience. that would have been a great youtube video-diary

Here's a video. Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/fAnyRNXJjPE
Old March 20th, 2014, 08:32 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX6RCROL View Post
Here's a video. Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/fAnyRNXJjPE
I'd love to join you guys for a dsource happy hour and swap Africa stories when I'm up for military training one of these weekends. I'm always iup in the Raleigh area usually first weekend of every month.

Of course, if your coming down to Uwharrie Safari, I'll see you there too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat