calling all you military guys - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 30th, 2013, 10:25 PM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

calling all you military guys

hey guys, i posted up thread not to long ago about me looking to go into the Coast guard. well after me sending three emails, and two phone calls/messages i have never heard back from them. Whatever, so back to my story/questions. For the past two months i have been taking helicopter lessons to get my private license, and i have fallen in LOVE with flying. I am however still planning on doing some sort of military service. I have spoken with the Army national guard, and the Marines. i Plan on talking with the Army as well. but Long story short, i am looking to become a pilot, and with no college credits i am aware i need to have an aviation MOS for 18months before i can apply for the warrant officer program. but i also want to be a rotorcraft AMT so there is the aviation MOS i want. i have spoken to the Marines and i seem to like them over the guard, mainly because its full time, and i will be learning to work on all their rotorcraft instead of just one. But a buddy of mine (not military) told me and seems pretty confident that the Marines aviation program isn't great at all, and the guard or army is the best bet to becoming a pilot. i have a ton of friends who are military, but none of them are close to affiliated with aviation, so i am getting most of my info from recruiters. SO trying to keep this story somewhat short and i am sure i am missing a bunch. But i am looking to get a bit more info on this, and looking for suggestions or tips to becoming this. I appreciate your help.
Dylan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 30th, 2013, 10:42 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Have you looked into the 101st Rescue Squadron, Air National Guard there in NY? If you don't want to finish school but want to fly then Army Warrant Officer is probably going to be your best track(I think, I don't know anything about it though). If you don't mind finishing school first then Air Force would work out too and you could do ROTC to help pay for school. If you do have your college degree then get with an ANG or AFRC unit that flies helos and ask when they are doing hiring boards. Go interview and if you get hired you would go to pilot training at one of the bases then helo training at Ft Rucker.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old July 30th, 2013, 10:44 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

It's going to take you longer than 18 months in the CG before you ever pick up a wrench to work on aircraft.

Old July 30th, 2013, 10:52 PM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

I have been out of high school for almost 3 years, never went to college, i've been welding and working on cars as a career for the past 4-5 years. i am only taking flying lessons so i am not in school. and no i haven't looking in the 101st rescue squadron, will do. And Tom the CG is pretty much out of the question now. so i am not even worried about that.
Old July 30th, 2013, 11:08 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Be a CAV Scout or an Infantryman. We get the job done!
Old July 30th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Francois
Francois
1986 110

"i am aware i need to have an aviation MOS for 18months before i can apply for the warrant officer program"
Where did you get this information? Check your PMs and give me a call
Francois
Old July 30th, 2013, 11:58 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
I can tell you that the Navy nor the Marines will let you fly without a degree. The Army are the only ones in that game as far as I know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 31st, 2013, 12:35 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I can't imagine many armed forces pilots do not have a degree especially now. As I understand it from family members, it is very competitive.
Old July 31st, 2013, 01:46 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
I was an Army Officer in a combat support battalion, and we had 2 aviation units, with the majority of the pilots being Warrant Officers. While having your college degree will help you be more competitive, it's not required to get your foot in the door. Scoring well on the entrance tests, and interviewing well are a great beginning. The Army, or Guard will definitely be your best (and only bet for no degree) for getting into an aviation slot.

Don't totally count out ROTC...I went to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and got a full scholarship with the Army, and they paid for ALL of my commercial flight training while in school and then I went into the Army...It was definitely a win, win deal!

How old are you? That can play a part in the process, but isn't a deal killer until you are a bit older...
Old July 31st, 2013, 02:56 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by killahaas View Post
well after me sending three emails, and two phone calls/messages i have never heard back from them. Whatever
First off, its going to take more than a couple of e-mails and phone calls for any of your options. If your patience and drive to make 'this' happen is limited to a couple minutes at the phone/computer then you are going to have a tough time getting in, much less flying helicopters.

As others have said, all programs are highly competitive. None of the services need anyone right now, save for a few random MOS.

What is your aversion to an Aviation enlisted MOS prior to going warrant? As a warrant, you will be (in theory) a subject matter expert on the specs/capabilities/repair and of course, flying of your assigned airframe. I would think that time on the enlisted side of the aviation house would better prepare you for that. Not to mention what you would gain from it personally.

------ Follow up post added July 31st, 2013 02:58 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyAK View Post
Don't totally count out ROTC...I went to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and got a full scholarship with the Army, and they paid for ALL of my commercial flight training while in school and then I went into the Army...It was definitely a win, win deal!
College is great, so is getting it paid for. However, if your primary goal is to fly helicopters then Warrant is the way to go. If you go Officer, you will have some glory days but ultimately flying will always play second fiddle to staff work and occassionally command. Don't forget that as you consider your options.

------ Follow up post added July 31st, 2013 03:00 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stAirborne View Post
Be a CAV Scout or an Infantryman. We get the job done!
Best advice so far. Listen to this man. Grow up in the Combat Arms and then go warrant down the road. You will be better from it in the long run.

Old July 31st, 2013, 07:09 AM
mightymo
matthew m
'95 Disco 300TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
I can tell you that the Navy nor the Marines will let you fly without a degree. The Army are the only ones in that game as far as I know.

Yup. You must have your undergrad to fly in the Corps as the Os are the only ones who fly. And as was stated before...you should plan on being an enlisted guy for quite awhile (typically at least 5+ yrs) before you'll get picked up for a warrant MOS in the Army (an Army guy may correct me if I'm wrong). So... either get your degree and go in the AF/Navy/USMC as an aviation officer (keep in mind aviation does not exactly = pilot) or do your time in the enlsited ranks in the Army and go the warrant route.

Either way, kudos on your decision too serve.
1997 D90 NAS (SOLD)
Old July 31st, 2013, 08:35 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Why not join the guard and get your degree. I've not been in the military but have known several people using this route to pay for college plus have income and experience. When you finish school, you can transfer into another branch. Despite the bad market for college grads, I wouldn't skip going. Besides, if you like the military and want to make it a career, you'll need it to advance.
Old July 31st, 2013, 08:37 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

If you want to be a pilot make sure you do what you need to do now to make that happen prior to enlisting. Once you sign up and listen to the recruiters BS on what you can "apply for" itís too late. Please don't get me wrong there are people that do make Warrant and become pilots, just not after 18 months.
I would look into the reserves of some sort, get your college paid for and then go to flight school. Once you enlist there are no guarantees that you will ever go to flight school.
Old July 31st, 2013, 12:22 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

All good advice...But PM me if you want to talk to two Soldiers currently in flight school at Rucker. Both in Warrant Corps, one NG and other active. Ones a good buddy and ones a former Soldier of mine that I recommended for the program.
Old July 31st, 2013, 01:02 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
First thing you need to do is take the ASVAB and the TAPAS.

Second thing you need to do is take the AFAST.

Third thing you need to do is get a flight physical before you even consider joining the military. I wanted to be a pilot, but I required two waivers so they passed on me and I became a ground pounder.

Go talk to a recruiter and tell them that you want to get these two things done before you will consider joining. This will tell you whether or not you even have the chance to become a pilot in the Army. You can do all of these things and then decide not to join.

------ Follow up post added July 31st, 2013 09:33 PM ------

Good thing about going Warrant is that you get to keep flying as you go up in rank. You won't get put behind a desk.
Old July 31st, 2013, 01:48 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stAirborne View Post

Good thing about going Warrant is that you get to keep flying as you go up in rank. You won't get put behind a desk.
Or until you get passed over twice at W-4 because they made only 1- W-5 in a few years (happened to my dad, luckily he had 24 years in)
Old July 31st, 2013, 03:09 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Dylan, you have gotten some excellent advice and information here - use it. Take Sam up on his offer to speak with guys that are in the program right now to get the best up to scoop. While I was not in the air wing, I can tell you I humped through the mud with plenty of smart, locked-on Marines who joined to fly and for one reason or another didn't even make it close. It is super competitive with many vying for a few spots. Make sure you have a solid plan B should flight school not work out.

My nephew was a crew chief on a Huey and loved it. When he got out of the Marines he got his A&P certtification and now makes very good money doing what he loves.
Old July 31st, 2013, 06:50 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
From another guy who's "been there, done that" and a career Marine Officer, my advice is to join the Reserves of your choice and go to college. You can attend ROTC classes without a scholarship. While in school, you can work towads a scholarship and eventual commission if you want to go that route, or work towards going the WO route in the Army [insert gratutious "hooah" here].

Once you enlist in the military, it becomes really hard to get a degree (you can, and there are easy routes, but there are a lot of distractions).

I hear the Air Force [insert gratuitous "air power! here] is really short on pilots right now are offering $250k retention bonuses.

Good luck on whatever you eventually decide, the military is an honorable profession.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old July 31st, 2013, 08:59 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
I like the above comments! Wolf is right
Old July 31st, 2013, 10:15 PM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Dylan, you have gotten some excellent advice and information here - use it. Take Sam up on his offer to speak with guys that are in the program right now to get the best up to scoop. While I was not in the air wing, I can tell you I humped through the mud with plenty of smart, locked-on Marines who joined to fly and for one reason or another didn't even make it close. It is super competitive with many vying for a few spots. Make sure you have a solid plan B should flight school not work out.

My nephew was a crew chief on a Huey and loved it. When he got out of the Marines he got his A&P certtification and now makes very good money doing what he loves.
what your Nephew did is exactly what i want to do,Mechanic/crew chief than A&P license. But i wouldnt mind being able to fly them either

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
From another guy who's "been there, done that" and a career Marine Officer, my advice is to join the Reserves of your choice and go to college. You can attend ROTC classes without a scholarship. While in school, you can work towads a scholarship and eventual commission if you want to go that route, or work towards going the WO route in the Army [insert gratutious "hooah" here].

Once you enlist in the military, it becomes really hard to get a degree (you can, and there are easy routes, but there are a lot of distractions).

I hear the Air Force [insert gratuitous "air power! here] is really short on pilots right now are offering $250k retention bonuses.

Good luck on whatever you eventually decide, the military is an honorable profession.
Thanks Wolf, I heard about the air force thing, and am going to look into it. but right now i am leaning towards the guard as a AMT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat