Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 31st, 2013, 10:26 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Is there anything holding you back from pursuing your education further? It seems like there are some real opportunities to pursue an education as well as a military affiliation; an education will make you more marketable in almost any situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 31st, 2013, 11:08 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I'm a US Army Aviation Warrant officer. I crossed over after 11 years as an enlisted guy. My advice is finish your education first. Like a lot of others have said if you go in as an enlisted guy you can get bent over hard with little to no opportunity to go to school.

Put your flying lesson money towards a degree. Entry level Helicopter pilots (up to 1000hrs) don't get paid jack. The nice jobs open up at north of 2500 hours.

See if the guard will put you in as a pilot, take the college money, be a guard bum/ college guy for a few years and fly and go to school for free and get some beer money from Uncle Sam as a bonus.
Old July 31st, 2013, 11:13 PM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

As a former active duty Air Force pilot and now a current Air Guard pilot I would vouch for the air guard. Join the unit as a loadmaster or aerial gunner and then get the vast majority of college paid for by the state and/or your unit.

Once you have your degree, apply for a UPT slot with the unit and get commissioned/go to pilot training. Most guard and reserve units hire their pilot candidates from within. This is true for both fixed and rotary wing units- like many have said, it's highly competitive so a positive attitude like you obviously have is key!

Guard and reserve units hire based on both your qualifications and whether or not they can work with you for the long haul, not just 3-4 years like active duty cycles through assignments.

Cheers,
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2013, 12:56 AM
Spook
Rich
97 Defender 90

Registry
The Navy will let you fly without a degree. They have new quasi new Flying Warrant Officer program that they started a few years back but hey only select about 10 a year. Almost all services require a degree to fly. I am not sure on the Army side if their Warrants that fly require degrees. Most have other requirements though such as time in service and minimum rank requirements. As a military guy and a pilot, I am partial to the Navy but that is a complete personal preference but they probably have the most strict requirements like completed flight school by 30 (I believe), degree, and so forth even for the rotor guys. Also, Navy guys learn on fixed and then go rotor if selected.
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:17 AM
redway77
Beatrix

Wow I did not realize there are so many military guys here. Well I was Marine aviation and these guys are right go to school first the. if you want to become a pilot. The very few enlisted pilot options for the USMC are near impossible to get into and to stay at. I know I was one of them. Even at that you can't lap move over from it to other "real" pilot MOSs. It just does not work that way. Shoot me a PM if you wan a more detailed explanation.
Old August 1st, 2013, 07:49 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
http://www.upperlimitaviation.edu/ar...phis-area.html

Your GI bill will cover 100% of tuition at this flight school. Join the Guard and use your Tuition Assistance to get your college degree. I think you will have a better chance of being a military aviator if you have your civilian rotary wing certification.
Old August 1st, 2013, 08:40 AM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
I can't stress enough the importance of a degree. The fact is that no matter what you want to do/try to do in the military or in life for that matter, sometimes things just happen that prevent you from following dreams or the expected trajectory. And you are young enough that no matter what happens, you will have a college degree to fall back on or to at minimum set you apart from those that don't. There are so many variable in life, take the advice of following your dreams in the guard while Uncle Sam pays for your degree.

My $.02

Good luck!!
Old August 1st, 2013, 08:44 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-man View Post
I can't stress enough the importance of a degree. The fact is that no matter what you want to do/try to do in the military or in life for that matter, sometimes things just happen that prevent you from following dreams or the expected trajectory. And you are young enough that no matter what happens, you will have a college degree to fall back on or to at minimum set you apart from those that don't. There are so many variable in life, take the advice of following your dreams in the guard while Uncle Sam pays for your degree.

My $.02

Good luck!!
Balance the cost and debt burden of a degree with the real increase in lifetime earnings. If you want to go into an industry that values paper sheet certificates over real experience then a degree is the way to go.

If you are entrepreneurial and will only likely work for yourself a degree might not be appropriate.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 1st, 2013, 12:24 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by killahaas View Post
Thanks Wolf, I heard about the air force thing, and am going to look into it. but right now i am leaning towards the guard as a AMT
It's not the entire career field of pilots. It's specific career fields. Fighter pilots mostly because they are having problems with retention. Guard or Reserves is your only sure thing way at a specific airframe. Otherwise getting a slot and a specific airframe is completely up to chance. Chance being what is available at the time and how well you have performed compared to your peers.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old December 12th, 2013, 10:10 PM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

forgot to update this. But I enlisted into the US Army in Oct, my Ship date is January 22nd.
Basic training will be at fort Benning GA
My job is a 15U which is a CH-47 chinook repairer.
my AIT is at fort Eustius VA
than back to Benning GA for Airborne school!
I am pretty excited/nervous about leaving but i am glad i did it!
Old December 12th, 2013, 10:19 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Good on you man...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 12th, 2013, 10:20 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Congrats!

On making the leap. And thank you for deciding to serve this great country. Service in the military is what you want to make of it…make it great…and so it shall be.

USAF 1994-1998 Law Enforcement Troop
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old December 12th, 2013, 11:18 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Congratulations. That's awesome! So, you're going to Airborne school. Do you know where your first duty station will be?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
/
Old December 12th, 2013, 11:44 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Outstanding Dylan! Semper Fi and keep us updated when you can.
Old December 13th, 2013, 01:31 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Congrats man!! Have fun and enjoy your time in the Army!! You'll meet a lot of great people and make some lifelong friends...
Old December 13th, 2013, 09:55 AM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Congratulations. That's awesome! So, you're going to Airborne school. Do you know where your first duty station will be?
Thanks guys!
I wont know my duty station until most likely
Aug. as far as i know i probably end up in GA, NC, AK, or italy. They have airborne, and have 47's but who knows. I really hope to stay in the continental US for my first station
Old December 13th, 2013, 10:09 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Ensure you have Airborne School written into your reservation/contract.

Hope youve been running, doing pushups and situps religiously, and even rucking with boots. Youre probably used to cold weather, but be prepared for 10 weeks of being out in cold humid weather from 0500 to 2200, if not overnight. You will most likely end up in a Infantry Battalion being trained by Infantry Drill Sergeants who would rather be training Infantrymen; thick skin and fast movements are optimal.

Good luck!
Old December 13th, 2013, 10:58 AM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Ensure you have Airborne School written into your reservation/contract.

Hope youve been running, doing pushups and situps religiously, and even rucking with boots. Youre probably used to cold weather, but be prepared for 10 weeks of being out in cold humid weather from 0500 to 2200, if not overnight. You will most likely end up in a Infantry Battalion being trained by Infantry Drill Sergeants who would rather be training Infantrymen; thick skin and fast movements are optimal.

Good luck!
Thanks, i do have airborne in my contract. And i do PT with the recruiters twice a week and do pushups and what not when i am home an have free time.
Old December 13th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I would say get in the best physical shape (running, sit-ups push-ups and pull-ups) as possible, it will make life much easier and you will be able to more concentrate on all the other stuff they will cram in your brain.
Old December 13th, 2013, 05:34 PM
killahaas
Dylan Haas
none for now!

Yea i should be pretty Good. I am quite in shape. And i continuing to exercise.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat