Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 1st, 2014, 12:55 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Call for help - Get Kent aka 85Red110 a Truck!!!

This is a call for help to get a fellow forum member Kent, aka 85Red110 a truck. It's a long story but he is a veteran who was caught up in the rover bust down in NC last year and has lost his truck which was simply there for service. Opinions vary but he may very well never see the truck again, and at a minimum it might be a very long time if he ever does.

So we'd like to get him a replacement truck. If you want to see the gory details of how we got here, please the the original thread here: Operation Get Kent aka 85Red110 His Truck Back!!! . There is some distraction along the way, but it covers the whole story to date. This thread is to make it easier to get on board without dredging through that one.

We have a truck picked out thanks to another forum member, Greg, but we both need to raise the funds just to buy the truck, but then will likely need more money to complete the project. Every bit counts, so please donate anything you can.

1. Paypal as a GIFT to 85red110@gmail.com . Please email or PM letting me know how much you sent so I can keep track.
2. Check, money order made out to Kent, (or cash) and email/PM for an address. I'll talk to Kent about where he wants it sent, but either way let me know how much so I can track.

Once we have garnered enough funds we'll be buying the truck and working out the details of how to complete it into a running truck, matching Kent's needs and desires as closely as we can on a budget.

One last thing, I want to make it very clear that this is largely possible due to yet another forum member, Crag Jones making a HUGE contribution to the effort. So instead of seeing the amount raised and thinking we are close to our goal, I'd rather you see this as an opportunity to contribute and lesson Craig's ridiculous offer of $3500 alone.

Thanks, and let's make this an epic story of forum members helping a young veteran out of a crappy situation!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2014, 01:52 AM
gchinsr
Greg Chin Sr
1996 Discovery 5 Speed

Update

[quote]
Once we have garnered enough funds we'll be buying the truck and working out the details of how to complete it into a running truck, matching Kent's needs and desires as closely as we can on a budget.

A death in the family slightly delayed progress for Saturday. Today, psykokid Jake stopped by, and we were 2 inset screws in the LT230 away from swapping the gearbox today. Not enough/ right tools on my part. Sorry. Big thanks to Jake, as he was a great help, and a great guy to meet. I will find an impact wrench to remove the screws, and have the new box in this week. I am hoping to get some help this weekend to drop the motor in, and start putting the front end back together. I have another box of parts coming tomorrow, so should be good to go. I have spent a week and a half scraping, scrubbing, and sanding the chassis down, and only need to clean the area where the crossmember was. More to follow.
Greg
Old June 2nd, 2014, 03:45 AM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchinsr View Post

A death in the family slightly delayed progress for Saturday. Today, psykokid Jake stopped by, and we were 2 inset screws in the LT230 away from swapping the gearbox today. Not enough/ right tools on my part. Sorry. Big thanks to Jake, as he was a great help, and a great guy to meet. I will find an impact wrench to remove the screws, and have the new box in this week. I am hoping to get some help this weekend to drop the motor in, and start putting the front end back together. I have another box of parts coming tomorrow, so should be good to go. I have spent a week and a half scraping, scrubbing, and sanding the chassis down, and only need to clean the area where the crossmember was. More to follow.
Greg
No problem stopping by and helping out. I was bummed we didn't get the box dropped before I had to head home. You need an impact driver vs an impact wrench to remove those screws. I can lend you mine so you don't have to go out and buy one.

I'm short on funds to donate but time is something I can manage to give..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1024px-ImpactDriverWithBits.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	96153  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2014, 05:38 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Has anyone posted this on GnR, RN or other forums? Or are we trying to keep this Defender Source? Just curious. Also, has anyone approached the vendors for help/donations?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old June 2nd, 2014, 10:44 AM
gchinsr
Greg Chin Sr
1996 Discovery 5 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
No problem stopping by and helping out. I was bummed we didn't get the box dropped before I had to head home. You need an impact driver vs an impact wrench to remove those screws. I can lend you mine so you don't have to go out and buy one.

I'm short on funds to donate but time is something I can manage to give..
Jake, please call me, and I will swing by to pick up the impact driver. Appreciate this as tool loan big time. I am sure your effort will be acknowledged, time is money mate.
Cheers,
Greg
Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:04 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Greg and Jake, this is great news! Jake, time is as useful as money (and possibly more so if you guys can get it running)!

Jonathan I haven't posted about this anywhere else other than on a CA mailing list, but for no reason other than I haven't had time. I'd be happy to cast as wide a net as possible. Several vendors have offered parts, but we aren't really in a position to make a list of parts needed yet. We first need to raise enough money to buy the truck and get it over to the east coast before we can give it a thorough assessment to see what's needed.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:14 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Not my idea but I've seen a couple guys donate funds from parts sales?? I'm sure I can look around to donate some parts and just have the funds sent to Kents paypal? I'm sure everyone has spares that they don't need that they could sell and donate the proceeds to the cause? Should we start a garage sale thread where the proceeds go to the build?
Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:25 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

So is drawing attention to this cause on other public forums acceptable to everyone?
Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:58 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yes and yes! Well, perhaps Kent should confirm, but I can't see why not.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 12:15 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Ok. The last time I spoke with him was when the goal was to get his truck returned, and as I understood him I was to stand down pending legal advice, etc. Now that the forum has decided to raise funds and do a build for him I can try and help in that way. I have a few ideas but didn't want to overstep.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 03:41 PM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
The most recent discussion concluded that attempting any legal action in an effort to have my truck returned to me would be a waste of time and money. The monster that is DHS/CBP is too big to fight, so we decided that focusing on building a replacement truck would be more worthwhile.

I am not opposed to seeking attention on other sites/venues, but my only reservation would be that D-90/Defendersource.com is the only Rover or 4x4 community that Ive ever known, much less been a member of. All the support and pledges that have come from this forum seemed to be enough to do this project, and I was thinking that the truck could be dedicated to DefenderSource in some way in the end as well. If, by some miraculous event, my original truck gets returned to me, then one of the two trucks would go toward serving another purpose amongst the DefenderSource crowd in some capacity. Im not sure how that would work out if we ended up receiving donations/pledges from outside communities. These are just a few thoughts I had regarding the subject. Im open to other opinions, so lets hear them.

On a side note, if you are donating funds to my PayPal account for this truck build, please be sure to send your payment as a "gift" so no fees get taken out by PayPal. Thanks.

Kent

P.S. Money total as of today: $3049.90
Old June 3rd, 2014, 05:35 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Have you considered contacting the news media that originally reported on the seizures?
To tell it from the owners side?

WECT news
Justin West @ the newsroom is who you need to speak with.
jwest@wect.com
(910) 791-6681
http://www.wect.com/story/21791074/federal-agents-spotted-working-criminal-investigation

Car and Driver
Exclusive: Feds Declare War on Black-Market Land Rover Defenders
May 14, 2013 at 10:56 am by Justin Berkowitz
Justin Berkowitz is the East Coast Bureau Chief @ Car and Driver
http://blog.caranddriver.com/exclusi...ver-defenders/

Daily Mail - How the Feds got their Man
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-airbags.html

It has been over a year and sometimes things may need to be brought back into light, lest they be forgotten. You may find more supporters for your cause, and in turn will be helping others as well. At the end of the WECT broadcast they say 'We will be continuing with the investigation'. I contacted WECT, (Christine in the newsroom) and asked for any updates. They remember the story well and have also been given the runaround this past year. What do you think?
Old June 3rd, 2014, 05:45 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
Have you considered contacting the news media that originally reported on the seizures?
To tell it from the owners side?

WECT news
Justin West @ the newsroom is who you need to speak with.
jwest@wect.com
(910) 791-6681
http://www.wect.com/story/21791074/federal-agents-spotted-working-criminal-investigation

Car and Driver
Exclusive: Feds Declare War on Black-Market Land Rover Defenders
May 14, 2013 at 10:56 am by Justin Berkowitz
Justin Berkowitz is the East Coast Bureau Chief @ Car and Driver
http://blog.caranddriver.com/exclusi...ver-defenders/

Daily Mail - How the Feds got their Man
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-airbags.html

It has been over a year and sometimes things may need to be brought back into light, lest they be forgotten. You may find more supporters for your cause, and in turn will be helping others as well. At the end of the WECT broadcast they say 'We will be continuing with the investigation'. I contacted WECT, (Christine in the newsroom) and asked for any updates. They remember the story well and have also been given the runaround this past year. What do you think?
That wouldn't be wise. Some sleeping dogs are best left asleep.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old June 3rd, 2014, 05:58 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
That wouldn't be wise. Some sleeping dogs are best left asleep.
I was trying to think how to word it....that pretty much nailed it.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 3rd, 2014, 06:45 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Well of course there are pro's and cons of waking a dog. You could get bit, you could get loved on or you could get some of both. You could have your dog taken and have to get a new one. I don't have a fear of government, or two sided discussions, but I understand how some might. History is riddled with that. It's up to Kent, what he thinks.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 07:18 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
Well of course there are pro's and cons of waking a dog.
It's best to think of "them" as cat people.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old June 3rd, 2014, 07:45 PM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Just sent my PayPal. I can't wait to see the rebuild thread!
Old June 3rd, 2014, 07:48 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Once it is on the internet I don't think there are really any "sleeping dogs"...do what you guys feel is best - but that is just my 2c on the internet
Old June 3rd, 2014, 09:22 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
It's best to think of "them" as cat people.
I'm a cat person.

Old June 3rd, 2014, 09:39 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I'm a cat person.
Did you crochet that yourself ?

Though you get a free pass since you're solid dude. But this is your one freebie.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, d110