California Tdi registration saga - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 1st, 2011, 01:16 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

NJ is not bad at all.

Took my imported truck to DMV, they had me etch the vin onto a piece of paper (this completed registration).

Inspection was easy, I had a book on the truck (they had to enter weights length etc..). They could not find the bar codes on the door so they entered all the info in manually. It was no problem.

Now buying a pistol in NJ is another story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2011, 04:42 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Well at Poway DMV right now, with only AZ title... Let's see what happens...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 1st, 2011, 04:48 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Keep us posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2011, 05:06 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Well as soon as she saw it was an out of state title I was sent to vehicle verification, same thing as yesterday. Waiting there now.

------ Follow up post added February 1st, 2011 02:31 PM ------

Holy shit, just passed vehicle verification. It helps that the guy that did it loves defenders as was drooling all over it. We looked for a second VIN for a while but he gave up and says "knowing the Brits it was probably Friday and the guy who was supposed to put it on was late for the pub meet". Signs it all off, winks at me and says that sure is a nice truck.

I feel like Charlie in Willie Wonka holding the golden ticket!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:34 PM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Well as soon as she saw it was an out of state title I was sent to vehicle verification, same thing as yesterday. Waiting there now.

Holy shit, just passed vehicle verification. It helps that the guy that did it loves defenders as was drooling all over it. We looked for a second VIN for a while but he gave up and says "knowing the Brits it was probably Friday and the guy who was supposed to put it on was late for the pub meet". Signs it all off, winks at me and says that sure is a nice truck.

now THAT'S a happy ending!
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:37 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Well I am still waiting for the lady behind the counter to finish it all...

I was looking at the verification form, it gets even better, he signed off that it meets emissions and safety standards!!!!

I am so amped up you have NO idea!

Old February 1st, 2011, 05:38 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

very. and what about the smog?
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:42 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
It's an 84 diesel, so he and the check in lady said oh ok and kept moving me right along...

Old February 1st, 2011, 05:45 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

interesting. thanks for the info.
Old February 1st, 2011, 09:19 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastair View Post
now THAT'S a happy ending!
congrats
Old February 1st, 2011, 09:25 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
OK guys, well I am home, and have plates on the Tdi!

It comes down to this... you are really going to need to get lucky with the DMV. It's all the luck of the draw as I have seen. On my third attempt I was successful, mainly due to my great attitude, shmoozing with the DMV folks, and getting some inspectors that really liked the rover. The good news is that if you fail vehicle inspection, they don't put anything in the computer, they tell you to go to CHP and hand you all of your paperwork. So you can try, try again somewhere else.

I really lucked out, and the inspector checked "compliant with Federal Standards" and "Meets Federal Emissions" boxes. He sent me back inside, and I waited to go to the counter to finish the paperwork. When I got up, I was still so giddy about getting the inspection signed off that I was gushing about how much I liked my rover and how they were the best thing ever. I was really outgoing and joked around with the tech, and I think that's why she was willing to help me out. This would be key almost immediately. The first thing the DMV mainframe asks for when processing a new registration is the VIN. It then checks the VIN for validity according to some rules it has and then allows the operator to continue with the registration. If it doesn't like it, it refuses to continue and asks the DMV tech to double-check the number, as the computer is infallible apparently.

Older Rovers use their own VIN numbering system, which is different than what was used in 1980+ in the US. So they are going to punch in the VIN, and the mainframe will not accept it, calling it invalid. This is mainly due to the "check digit" in the middle, which doesn't work the same. My lady went to the back, and actually pulled out a big binder that lists each manufacturer's VIN scheme. As you can imagine, there was no 1984 Land Rover entry. I was sure she was going to come back and tell me to pack sand. But my nice attitude paid off....

The only way around the computer is to get a supervisor to enter their password to override the VIN check. If the lady really wanted to be a bitch about it, she would have stopped it right then. But she decided I was worthy and started asking people how to fix my situation.

If you are like me this will mean a second VIN verification by the supervisor. I was lucky in that he was as cool as the first, and I really laid it on thick with stuff like "Man, I have dreamed about owning one of these things, and now my dream is coming true!!" (yes, I really said that). There was an irish pub next to the DMV, and I was ready to offer free drinks if it was needed. What I was really worried about was that he would see that I had none of the safety and emissions labels, which would not only derail my registration, but get the first inspector in trouble. Turns out all he wanted to do was see the VIN. Then he goes "oh yeah, the crazy british had their own way of doing things back then, but it matches the AZ title, that's all I care about". I shut the hood before he decided to poke around further.

He then went back inside, got me to a new DMV tech, and walked her through the steps until the computer refused to accept the VIN. He had a magical key combination that allowed him to override, he entered his password, and we were on our way. She was even entering the information and I heard her say "G" and I happened to say right then "Did I say how great the mileage is because it's a diesel?" She goes... "OH, it's a diesel? That's good because you won't need a smog either!" About 5 minutes later, I paid my fees and walked out with a set of plates and registration paperwork. A title should be forthcoming.

So, some key points:

1) Not all DMVs are created equal. Stay away from AAA as apparently their stuff is reviewed more than the normal DMV, so they are scared to go out on a limb. If you fail at the first, try somewhere else. If you fail there, go to a different one. My third time was the charm. I used a suburban one in a fairly affluent part of town.

2) Lay the love on thick. I firmly believe my easygoing attitude and shameless compliments of the DMV staff paid off.

3) Play dumb. When the VIN didn't work, I could have whipped out the V5 and gone down that rabbit hole professing my knowledge of Rover Imports, but I didn't. I played the "hey I am just the dumb blond haired military guy" card and it worked.

4) Don't rock the boat. I intend to get personalized veterans plates. But it turns out if you do that they send the whole package to Sacramento and you don't get squat until some nerd up there reviews everything. If you get regular non-ELP sequential plates right then from the DMV, everything just gets archived. After the title shows up, then you order your special plates. I learned that from the second DMV tech helping me, who was joking with me the whole time.

In the end, I now have a 1984 Tdi 90 Titled and Registered in California. Believe me the Rover Gods were smiling on me like no other. But there is no guarantee it will work again, either for me or someone else.

Which brings me to a new crusade I have. I am heavily involved in local politics. I know the reps for our state senator and several of the Assembly districts right near why I live. I am going to talk to them and see how they feel about floating a bill changing the DMV regs so that a resident can bring in a 25 year import vehicle. I will frame it that the state is losing revenue to people to register them in AZ, NV, and OR (we all know someone who has done it), and that the standard is different for people who move here as compared to those who already live here. Why punish people who choose to continue to live in California, especially in these harsh economic times? The motor community is pretty large in SoCal.... so who knows.
Old February 1st, 2011, 09:41 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Congrats! You're right. Friendly, ignorant and persistent will do the trick. I went through the same thing for my tdi just 2 years ago (granted OR is supposedly more laxed).
Old February 1st, 2011, 09:48 PM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
Congrats on the Rover....and the plates!!
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old February 1st, 2011, 10:23 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Pics?

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old February 1st, 2011, 10:43 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Come on Brian! Where is your horsey research skill? This truck came from the for sale section. Check there for pics.
Old February 1st, 2011, 10:48 PM
rusty james
Rob
95 D90 SW

Congrats!

Nice job! Glad your truck made it through. Thanks for the info.
Old February 1st, 2011, 11:09 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Come on Brian! Where is your horsey research skill? This truck came from the for sale section. Check there for pics.
Ha, too lazy and I'm no Horsey...

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old February 1st, 2011, 11:19 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
OK, I promise pics tomorrow... I am getting drunk tonight in celebration!
Old February 1st, 2011, 11:46 PM
surf110
Ze
130 Project

Congrats Neil. Want to Check out this beast.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 02:21 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey,

You're welcome!

Not everybody is lucky enough to get my advice like that.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
tdi