California imported D owners be warned - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 18th, 2013, 03:54 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

California imported D owners be warned

After chasing this crap around for weeks now I was able to speak with the Cal DMV registration compliance officer and the news is not good. Within the last few months California has passed a new law stating that if the car was built after 1968 and imported gray market, you MUST bring the vehicle up to North American Spec. and have the sticker on the door to show it has been inspected and passed. The DMV is, as I type sending out letters retroactively to people in Cal that already have registration and titles stating that unless they bring the vehicle up to spec they will not be able to re register the car! Some of you here that were lucky enough to get the inspector at the DMV to check the box that says it meets safety and emission regs are going to skate on this, LUCKY! Also in Cal, even if the motor is Diesel it must be inspected and passed by a CARB officer. Does anyone have a list of what it takes to convert to NAS? This means even if the car was registered in another state and transferred to Cal you will be getting this letter. Heads up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2013, 03:57 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

There were limited or no federal emissions for diesel for a very long time. I can't imagine it would be that hard to get it to pass whatever diesel specs for 6000lbs GVWR vehicles were at the time.
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:04 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

is the cage the only other change or are anti lock brakes required too? I plan to instal an internal cage at some point, Maybe I could pull this off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 18th, 2013, 04:11 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Just a guess, but probably the seat belt buzzer, larger side marker lights, amber front marker lights, and that silly 50,000 mile check engine light (for the CATs). Mine tripped at ~ 50,700. No ABS in 94.

But other than the cage and the light color, how would they know the exhaustive list?

Good luck.
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:19 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

I'll probably register it out of state and just pay if I get a fix it ticket
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
I'd suggest talking to the folks at Rovers North. Around 1984/85, Mark Letorney brought in a few legitimate grey market Defender 110's which were Federalized before the door was completely closed by the new law. Several of those same trucks are still running around.

Here are a couple of examples:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=39689

http://eastcoastrover.com/Leppard.html

And I'm not sure what you mean by them requiring them to be "NAS spec"? Do you mean they have to meet all standards for MY 1993?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:22 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

Is this only for CARB or also for FMVSS? It would be impossible to certify to FMVSS retroactively. The tests are destructive. California is retarded.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:22 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Did the guy give you a copy of the revised law? If not I would do some serious research before I put a nickel into anything to meet his stated standard. California is legislatively out of control and as stated over and over, most DMV employees don't know their butt from a hole in the ground.
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:29 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Buy some land in Eastern Oregon for $5k and register it there. Added benefit of no sales tax.
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:29 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

what I was told is the vehicles will have to meet emissions and safety standards for the United states, or you can get a letter from Land Rover stating that the vehicle is in compliance with all us Laws.
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:35 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Not arguing but you have to ask yourself how does a Californian register a unmolested Model A Ford rag top?
No emissions
No air bags
No seatbelts
No rollover protection

Why haven't all the condors died yet?
What about the children?
Old September 18th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
what I was told is the vehicles will have to meet emissions and safety standards for the United states, or you can get a letter from Land Rover stating that the vehicle is in compliance with all us Laws.
As I understand it, your vehicle is in compliance with US law, because it was/is exempted under the 25-year rule. (i.e., it is exempt from from EPA & DOT standards, see link: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...-into-the-u.s.)

I'd ask to see a copy of the new California law as well, as it appears to be at odds with established Federal law. Under federal law, a vehicle which conforms to the 25-year rule is not required to meet the standards the California DMV is stating you must meet.

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old September 18th, 2013, 05:12 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

California government does what it wants. It like the gun laws, they decide no one can have more than a 10 round magazine and there you go!
Old September 18th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
nice place to visit but... contact Barry Fein he will advise you on the work around.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old September 18th, 2013, 05:18 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
nice place to visit but... contact Barry Fein he will advise you on the work around.
The wheels are already in motion.
Old September 18th, 2013, 05:21 PM
gchinsr
Greg Chin Sr
1996 Discovery 5 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
X2 on Barry

CARB wanted the smog equipment to match the motor and chassis for year of manufacture. Nothing more. The time and cost were a joke though. Barry helped me fix this.
Old September 18th, 2013, 07:08 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
I'd ask to see a copy of the new California law as well, as it appears to be at odds with established Federal law. Under federal law, a vehicle which conforms to the 25-year rule is not required to meet the standards the California DMV is stating you must meet.
This was a thing back in 2008, when the Bush-era EPA tried to crack down on States setting their own standards. California actually sued the EPA stating that they should be able to set stricter emissions standards than the rest of the country. Detroit, understandably, didn't want to keep making 2 different models (one for CA and the other satellite republics that follow our rules, and one for everyone else) so they lobbied hard against it.

In the end, California won and we have some of the strictest emissions laws on the planet.

Old September 18th, 2013, 08:59 PM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Aren't there cheap condos in La's Vegas you guys can all own together?
Old September 25th, 2013, 08:44 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
Does anyone have a list of what it takes to convert to NAS?
Here is the comprehensive list determined by NHTSA back in December 2008. Note the applicability of this decision was limited to 94-95' noncoforming Defenders (i.e., non NAS Defenders). You would think that this list would still be applicable on importing a 95' today.
Old September 25th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Looks like there will be a flood of Land Rover Defenders being sold by California owners who cannot renew their registrations.

Also start looking for something well known of in Collector car circles. A sticker that says not eligible for sale or registration in California.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
import